Options

WDW Dopey Challenge...

1235»

Comments

• Options

I've never run  there, but I have been to Anaheim twice for the Convention Centre, which is just down the road.

There are LOADS of hotels around there, with every price range accounted for.  There are Disneys own properties that are on the expensive side, to the cheaper "no frills" type of place.

I personally haven't decided yet where I'm staying.  I've used the Hilton on the 2 times I went before, but they are a bit pricey, with little in the way of extras.  I am currently looking at 2 places.  The Anahiem Fairfield Inn, which is very near the front gate of Disneyland, and the Clarion which is probably about half a mile away, but a LOT cheaper.

As for things to see and do, other than Disneyland.  Most things are a fair drive away, but easily doable in a day.  I've personally been to Griffifths observatory, Hollywood Boulevard, saw the "Hollywood" sign, and last time my friend and I went to long beach to see the Queen Mary, we were going to go to Universal Studios Hollywood, but didn't have time in the end.  Expect to pay for hotel car parking though, I have yet to find a hotel that doesn't charge, and so tend to just rent a car for a day or two, you don't need one for Disneyland unless you do stay a long way out.

• Options

Done the Disneyland half nice race but very little of it through the parks most through some business districts surrounding. Stayed a cheap motel about 5 mins from the park but must have been a dozen or so hotels within spitting distance  

I left after the half and had a week at Vegas only 4 hours away or 2 and half if you speed image

• Options

Many thanks Bullit and Goofy DD. Very helpful. I think that we will aim at doing a close hotel for the race and then getting out of the centre and exploring the state (not too sure whether it will be north to san fran or south to san diego yet...)

Good luck with your preparations

• Options

sorry for the thread resurrection but can anyone tell me when entries tend to open for this?   Looking to do it in 2016 

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Think it maybe around april time, but keep your eyes peeled on the website, the places go REALLY quickly.

• Options

That's why I wanted a clue as the RunDisney website has no info yet

• Options

Hi. Our fourth year this year - if you go you won't regret it image  It sells out really quickly (in hours for the dopey) as a tip if you check the run disney site in the week after the event They normally do a 'sign up for email notification'. If you register they will inform you when entries are due to open. 

• Options

I signed up for the email alerts and was told of the date about a month in advance (if I remember correctly).  I had difficulty working out when the registration opens (not too sure what time zone it is in), but from what I remember go for the eastern time zone (i.e. Florida time) and that seemed to work.  It was either 5pm or 6pm in the evening in the UK.  It does sell out quickly as a lot of people do this one to get their "coast to coast".

The course itself wasn't up to WDW standards and there are pinch points, but the amount of support from the local community far exceeds anything that I have experienced to date.  They are all out cheering for everyone on the course (from police officers through to the cheer squads). We stayed in the Grand Californian on Disney property and thought that it was well worth the money.  The parks are within walking distance and you may have views of the parks from your window.  We got reduced price park tickets through Get Travel (3 day park hopper for $200/adult). You have to phone them up and sort this out, and then pick them up where you pick up your race pack.  Good luck, hope you manage to do this!