Ding dong the Witch is dead

Comments

• Yes, thanks for even more of the context! I must memorise that part about helping our neighbours...

• But regardless of if she was a saint or a sinner.........why on earth is she getting a £10 million pound funeral......the prime minister before her didn't get them.so why on earth is she.........I can't seem to find the reason as so much of the debate is where she was an angel or the devil........

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I thought the military arm of the ANC (of which Mandela was a member) carried out bombings? Did any of these result in killing innocent civilians? 
    I'd call that acts of terrorism towards gaining political support.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

Yeah, true, but she was very selective about which group in which country she would condemn and which she would encorage and arm!

• Dustin wrote (see)

I thought the military arm of the ANC (of which Mandela was a member) carried out bombings? Did any of these result in killing innocent civilians? 
    I'd call that acts of terrorism towards gaining political support.

bombing that result in the killing of civilians.......well that covers just about every western nation them......we did it in world war two and every war since just about image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I'm not excusing any killing, but would argue that in wartime the 'rules' are different.

So I'll rephrase, is bombing that kills civilians in peacetime an act of terrorism?

• it wasn't peace time though was it.......not in south africa.......it was basically a civil war where one side had all the power and guns

it wasn't like this country where you could change things through the vote..... 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

so Nick to clarify, according to your definition, the ANC (Mandela) is guilty of terrorism? (thus making Thatchers claim correct)
    For the sake of a balanced argument (something you should try one day), so has been the UK government (Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown etc.....)

• Barkles, unfortunately all governments tend to pick and chose who to condemn and arm. America and Britain armed Iraq to fight Iran then decided Iraq were the enemy. Result was American and British troops being killed by weapons supplied by their own governments

• One mans terrorist is another womans freedon fighter

• Nick. Was Nelson Mandela ANC leader before they denounced terrorism and did they use that word. If so then by their own definitiobn they were (at least at one time) terrorists

• Goodbye today, to the most hated woman in history and £10 million that should go elsewhere 

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Oh for goodness sake, you sound like a journalist from a left wing newspaper.  Whilst there are undoubtedly those who are opposed to her and hate her, she is far from the most hated woman in history.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Oh for goodness sake, you sound like a journalist from a left wing newspaper.  Whilst there are undoubtedly those who are opposed to her and hate her, she is far from the most hated woman in history.

yep - that Florence Nightingale got right on my tits....  image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I'm thinking Boudica on the basis of having an unpronouncable name that nobody can spell.

• Coming round waking people up with that bloody candle! Oi Flo, turn the light out for Christ sake,
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    EKGO wrote (see)

I did very well throughout the 80s depspite her, she was the cause of a lost job but it moved me on to better things with a nice pay off, but I didn't like what she did, what she stood for, or how she did it. She was a nasty piece of work.

I'm still trying to work out the logic of this. What's the problem? I did extremely badly throughout the 80's. But never blamed any government or individual for that.

🙂

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I think its a little bit sad that people carry such large chips for someone who left office over 20 years ago. I still scratch my head that these same people thing the UK was worse off in 1990 than in 1979 (or in 1991/2 than in 1980/81 as policies and effect need time to 'filter through')

• RicF wrote (see)
    of this. What's the problem? I did extremely badly throughout the 80's. But never blamed any government or individual for that.

How you do is never down to a government, if you did badly it is not down to a government, they are loved or hated on the basis of what they do and how they go about doing it.  

• EKGO Why would you love or hate a government if they have no input as to how you do? Sorry but losing the thread here

• I expect a government to do what is necessary but do it fairly, she did not do this, she looked after the areas that voted her in and punished the areas where she was lacking support. The way she did what she did was malicious.Also how I personally fare does not mean anything I didn't like what she did, how she did it, or what she stood for.

• Just got this email from Met Police (is it going to everyone in London or just Westminster?) Whatever anyone thought about her, it's nice to see that the funeral went smoothly, and that those who wanted to protest were able to do so.

“We would like to thank Londoners and visitors to the city for their co-operation today, particularly in relation to travel disruptions.  

"We are also grateful to those members of the public who spoke with us prior to the event and enabled us to facilitate their peaceful protest in a way which did not impact either their protest or those who wished to pay their respects.

"It is as ever testament to the public that yet another large scale ceremonial event, viewed by the world’s media, has been successful.

"Thank you very much.”

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

In the standard

go maggie

Ekgo, yes or no, did she, in your opinion, leave the UK in a better situation when she left office (23 years ago), than when she took over?

• EKGO wrote (see)

I expect a government to do what is necessary but do it fairly, she did not do this, she looked after the areas that voted her in and punished the areas where she was lacking support. The way she did what she did was malicious.Also how I personally fare does not mean anything I didn't like what she did, how she did it, or what she stood for.

Total mythology.

Thatcher got in because she got about 10% of the core Labour vote to switch sides and vote for her.