Ding dong the Witch is dead

1121314151618»

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Dustin wrote (see)

In the standard

go maggie

Ekgo, yes or no, did she, in your opinion, leave the UK in a better situation when she left office (23 years ago), than when she took over?

That has to be the dumbest question ever as it pins the myth that there was only one possible way of changing things and that the only other option was stagnation.

Also despite all the 70's awful vs 80's better arguments, in fact unemployment was far higher in the 80's and resulted in the same economic growth rate as the 70's. Even with all the oil money and privatisation money. The greatest myth ever must be that the Tories of the 80's were in any way financially competent. All the while destroying vast swathes of the nation.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Ironically, part of her legacy might have been to cripple the Conservative Party. Twenty years after she left office, the Tories have almost no presence in Scotland and Wales, not to mention large chunks of England. After three terms of a Labour government you'd expect them to be voted back in as a matter of course and with a healthy majority. But they can only govern with the help of the LibDems.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

In Scotland their reputation from her legacy is so bad the Scottish Conservatives have talked openly of re-branding themselves under an entirely different name.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

"That has to be the dumbest question ever" - stick around on these fora for a bit longer , there will be loads more.
    That aside, either the country moved on, declined , or stagnated.
    GDP,  inflation adjusted rose throughout the 1970s and 1980s (and indeed thru the 1990s and 00s) you may want to check your figures.

• Muttley, I don't really see the irony.  I never sense that Thatcher necessarily had any great love for the Conservative party, I saw it as her vehicle to be able to change the country she loved for the better, not a lot more than that.  She tried to change the party for the better but then the old guard finally won out and threw her out.

I'd be surprised if she shed that many tears when Thatcherite Blair toppled them in 97.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

agree a little with Muttley tbh - we no longer have parties of extremes, its all cosy middle ground, which may explain why there is more debate over politicians of 25 years ago than the vanilla Camerons, Cleggs and Millibands. Not a great deal to choose between any of them.

• Can we now go about our lives and work out how we are going to actually pay for the dammed thing that so few wanted............

But Maggie wanted it and therefore it was done.....

so everyone just put in your wills whatever you want for your funeral because the government will be happy to oblige and pick up the tab...

its there new policy for looking after the elderly.............you will have to check that you qualify........think that you are perfect .have millions of money and taken benefits for the last 10 years that you were not entitled to.........tick all the boxes and your every wish will be done

• Ekgo still don't gert your statement about how well you do doesn't depend on a government. If that's true and governments don't influence that then why stress what they do? Also what do you mean by looking after areas that voted for her and punished other areas then by default they have some influence on how you do.

The country was better off after her terms in office than it was before she came to power

• Why does this forum want to double up on all my posts?

• Sorry KK no match, good riddance to bad rubbish
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Seren - I don't believe she got this funeral because she put it in her will.  I don't think it was quite as simple as her waving her magic wand.

It also wasn't down to this government, the PM said today that her funeral had been planned for some time.

• seren nos wrote (see)

Can we now go about our lives and work out how we are going to actually pay for the dammed thing that so few wanted............

But Maggie wanted it and therefore it was done.....

so everyone just put in your wills whatever you want for your funeral because the government will be happy to oblige and pick up the tab...

its there new policy for looking after the elderly.............you will have to check that you qualify........think that you are perfect .have millions of money and taken benefits for the last 10 years that you were not entitled to.........tick all the boxes and your every wish will be done

Out of all the complete drivel that has been spouted on this thread, this just about tops it.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Seren - I don't believe she got this funeral because she put it in her will.  I don't think it was quite as simple as her waving her magic wand.

It also wasn't down to this government, the PM said today that her funeral had been planned for some time.

and also, even if they'd taken out a pre-paid co-op funeral plan the £10m would never have found its way into the pockets of the elderly/disabled etc.  its just the way it goes.  just be glad she said no thanks to the fly past she was offered too.

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
    As long as the evil cow is gone I don't really care about the cost anymore, worth every penny should have been around 1977 tho

lol, they say there is a very fine line between love and hate, bet you were a fully paid up member of her fan club til you realised you'd never replace Denis in her bed.