Ding dong the Witch is dead

Comments

• EKGO: if Thatcher's government had had any foresight it would never have brought in the Poll Tax.

• Johnny again wrote (see)

Demon Barber.

You talk a load of rubbish.

Do you read the Mail as well?

You think that having a Street Party to mark the death of somebody is something that civilised people would take part in?

• Demon Barber wrote (see)
    Johnny again wrote (see)

Demon Barber.

You talk a load of rubbish.

Do you read the Mail as well?

You think that having a Street Party to mark the death of somebody is something that civilised people would take part in?

some - yes. all - no.

it just goes to show that Thatcher wasn't everyone's cup of tea and her death has aroused different emotions in people.  just because you don't agree, doesn't make it wrong. or right.

• KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

I have noted that some forumites have been saying that Thatcher was in power 20 years ago, get over it. However I would like to point out that Thatcherism led to the demise of the tory party in Scotland (currently only 1 MP). A problem that the tory partry still hasn't been able to overcome.  At least there was one benefit of Thatcherism image

• not many more in wales to be honest room for improvement....for our council elections they do not even put up a candidate and have to bus someone in to do the parlimentary elections

• If there was no way to differentiate between wrong and right then Anarchy would reign.

It's why we have laws.

So, seriously, you think that civilised people would celebrate the death of Thatcher?

It's a democracy, it's their right if they don't break any laws blah blah but they just make themselves look childish and petty minded.

Haven't they got anything better to do? a job to go to?

• Stop talking rubbish man.
  • room for improvement; who and when did anyone say that Thatcher was in power for 20 years? room for improvement in your posts
  • KenbroKenbro ✭✭✭

NLR, did you read the post correctly? I think not.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    room for improvement; who and when did anyone say that Thatcher was in power for 20 years? room for improvement in your posts

Nobody said Thatcher was in Power for 20yrs. RFI's post say's that forumites have commented that Thatcher was in Power 20yrs ago.

Stop talking rubbish man. Or at least read the comments before you have your two pennies worth?

• "So, seriously, you think that civilised people would celebrate the death of Thatcher?"

yes - as has been shown.  that's the emotion the women stirred up in people.

to them, celebrating her death is important - much like the overthrow of Ghadaffi, the hanging of Saddam Hussain, etc was celebrated by many who had been affected by them.

unless you lived in the Thatcher era, it's difficult to appreciate the emotions she stirred up 

• Hold my hand up and apologise to room for improvement. Sorry mate. Stick to my guns about Demon Barber talking rubbish though. I'm sure most would agree.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)

"So, seriously, you think that civilised people would celebrate the death of Thatcher?"

to them, celebrating her death is important - much like the overthrow of Ghadaffi, the hanging of Saddam Hussain, etc was celebrated by many who had been affected by them.

unless you lived in the Thatcher era, it's difficult to appreciate the emotions she stirred up 

So why are most of the people pictured causing a bit of a scene in their early twenties? There is no way they lived through the Thatcher era.

I smiled a little when I read the bit about Ghadaffi etc - seriously oppressed people celebrating their liberation can hardly be compared with a few benefit spenders dancing about throwing paint boms at Dorothy Perkins. It's hardly big news is it? And Thatcher died, she wasn't bloody overthrown etc - she ruled a democracy.

• Demon Barber wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)

"So, seriously, you think that civilised people would celebrate the death of Thatcher?"

So why are most of the people pictured causing a bit of a scene in their early twenties? There is no way they lived through the Thatcher era.

I smiled a little when I read the bit about Ghadaffi etc - seriously oppressed people celebrating their liberation can hardly be compared with a few benefit spenders dancing about throwing paint boms at Dorothy Perkins. It's hardly big news is it? And Thatcher died, she wasn't bloody overthrown etc - she ruled a democracy.

ever heard of a word called analogy??  look it up and educate yourself.  you might understand what others are writing then.

• "Celebrating her death is important"

What a load of rubbish. Her death will have zero impact on the lives of those people.

Ever heard of perspective?

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Guys, if you don't stop throwing stones I'm going to start up some headphone in race threads. image

• that comment coming from a someone reading posts through one eye is laughable.  start looking at the wider view.

it may have zero impact to their lives but that doesn't stop them getting some joy out of it

EDIT - that was DB - Piers slipped one in between

• No Piers, what we need is yet another debate on the Race for Life image

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

If Thatcher was around, would she do Race for Life with an ipod on?image

• one final thing DB - you mention perspective

perhaps you should read this article which provides an overview on the perspective relating to Thatcher's death

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-etiquette

but then, It's from the Guardian so no doubt you'll call it left wing lunacy whereas I would call it a very balanced opinion.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

"it may have zero impact to their lives but that doesn't stop them getting some joy out of it"

It doesn't stop them, but maybe they should just grow up and act with some dignity? have some self respect whatever their opinions? Or does that just make too much sense and not leave enough of a "grey area"?

• I think for people who lived through it and saw family and friends go through the hardship she caused it is reasonable to celebrate. She did what she did in a vicious and vengeful way, which is unusual even for politicians, that was not lost on people at the time, anyway people celebrated the death of Saddam and others of that ilk so she was fair game

• I'm not going to be one of those ghouls at a funeral who hated the guts of the deceased and then go on about how great they were and how they will be missed. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead is the thread title. Anyone don't like it then go start their own RIP Maggie thread.
  • she was indeed voteod in...she knew how to get the papers on her side.that for sure....

first time around she porduced the theme of Britain is not working.with a big picture of an unemployment queue........convincing lots of youngsters who were wanting emnployment to vote for her...........

the suprise then was how the unemployemt raised by 3/4 of a million within 9 months....and thats before she even got started.........

she also headed a Buy Britsih campaign.whilst destroying the manufacturing industry

also a war that the papers loved is the only thing that got her in for the second time.....

I will not be celebrating with a party.but i will not sit back and quietly hear the official lines of what a wonderful woman she was.....

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

EKGO: if Thatcher's government had had any foresight it would never have brought in the Poll Tax.

Don't confuse foresight (or lack of it) with the level of vindictiveness and contempt she had for the working classes. The poll tax was not a mistake it was a bridge to far, it was only defeated by mass protest and a dogged refusal to pay by people who had no means to pay the tax or the fines.

• Are you going to the funeral then SR?

I would imagine the buffet should be half decent.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    RicF wrote (see)

I had the concept of 'Buy to let' put to me in 1996. I didn't like the idea one bit.

Its really 'Borrow to let'.

Or really 'Borrow some money to buy a house that a bank wouldn't let you buy for yourself to live in, but ok's the deal since you are going to screw someone else for more in rent than the mortgage costs. On top of that, any increase in the value of the property is all yours as well. 

They sold this idea and still do as an investment.

I even wrote to the finance section of a broad sheet pointing out that this is the most lopsided investment ever. Where an invester actually gets someone else to pay for their investment. Pure one on one exploitation of one individual over another.

It always annoyed me, this one. 

and that lack of joined up thinking comment annoys me!  we have 2 properties that are let out but we have no loans on them - we own them outright and have done from the start.   we have been self employed for over 25 years and we invested in property so it could eventually fund our pension. we have contributed back into the country through taxes and as employers.

at the time we bought property prices were still rising so the returns on the investment were potentially better than having the money in a traditional pension fund where managers manage the investment strategy for best return.   any mindful person would seek best return on their investment.

we've since seen a property price crash so our investments have bombed you could say - our pensions are very likely to be affected.  so when we see/hear tales of government employees and their nice index linked final salary pensions for having taken no risks ever during their careers, we get pretty fucking angry when we get singled out as exploiters.

but no sympathy needed, we took the risk, we knew the possible pitfalls but please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Yes FB. You bought them outright with your own money. I would say on that basis you are entitled to rent them out. Its been the way of the world forever.

Buy to let is the issue here. Not landlords.

The exploitation I meant was the idea that someone else should pay your mortgage for you. Yet you get all the benefits for any property price increase.

I  take the approach that if you've worked hard enough to pay for it yourself outright then you deserve the benefits. 

🙂

• the issue you're missing there though RicF is that for many "buy to let" people, they are using their savings as deposits for buy to let mortgages as the property will be their future pension pots.  most lenders will not offer more than 70% so buyers need to have at least 30% they can put in - compare that to personal mortgages which can be 95% - and with interest rates usually 2% higher than personal.   you have to be certain you know where your money is going before investing these days - the old days of buy to let schemes for people with no idea what they were doing have gone and quite rightly as well.   many lost a lot of money as they had no idea what they were doing and I personally know one who had to go into voluntary administration as a result when he couldn't keep up repayments and the property was repossesed - he hadn't listened to us at the outset of his madness when we advised him not to do it!

landlords are not all exploiters and I would suggest that majority who have property portfolios are very good landlords who both look after the properties and ensure their tenants are happy.  that's certainly the way that we, and others we know, conduct their rentals.

sure, there are bad landlords as well but they are very much the minority