RUNNING A MARATHON 1 MONTH TRAINING

Comments

• so you truswt your friend totally.....he is an amazing experienced runner........who has aquired a lifetime of knowledge.........

he has given you a schedule to train.

and so you come on here asking for advice..........if you think he is so damn wonderful why not just follow it....

you ask for advice.everyone says drop the speed work.....and so you still insist that the speedwork is going to stay and that your friend is best.

so why on earth come on hgere and ask if you aren't going to read or adapt....seems like you just came on for everyone to say.wow aren't you wonderful for doing amarathon on just 4 weeks training

just go off follow the schedule blindly then come back in a month with your finishers photo of you and your sub 3 and you can stoick your tongue out at us all........

• yep - as cougs says - do as you want and ignore the collective wisdom of 100's of marathons.  it's your race after all not ours.

• does your friend have a name, Alex? Care to share?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Run Wales wrote (see)

1.   30   2. 60    3. 60   4.    50   5. Cross Train   6. 90   7. Rest

8. 30   9. 75    10. 30  11. 65     12. Cross train   13.  130*    14. Rest

15. 45  16. 60    17. Cross train   18.  40    19.  25+Cross train   20.  180*   21.  Rest

22.  30+Cross train  23. 60   24. Cross train    25.  60    26.  20   27.  150*   28   Rest

29.   20     31.   Rest    32.  20   33.  Rest  34.  Rest   35.   25    36.  Rest

37. 300+* image

Total disclaimer...  this is off the top of my head, and whatever you do, you are taking quite a risk of injury and a miserable marathon!  But you're clearly going to do it.  You're 21 and hopefully not inactive.  You said you did a 7 mile run 2 weeks ago, so you are nothing like a complete beginner

I've tried to juggle the needs of building up mileage,  get some rest in there and get you rested for race day (marathon programmes have you tapering off the mileage in the last 3 weeks...  so I've had to be inventive!)

Cross training is something like gym work lIMO on a rowing machine  - to keep you moving forwards, give you a little 'core strength' but no running -  taking impact off your legs and feet.

You need to get some work done early, because your body takes time to adapt.  What you do in the last 2-3 weeks is of limited value.

The programme above is described as minutes on your feet and it should be done at ELEVEN minutes per mile up to day 21,   and  allow yourself to creep up to TEN minutes per mile thereafter. I'd forget the threshold runs. 

On runs over 80 minutes, use them to get used to taking on water and food - as you will need these on race day.

On runs marked *  then run for 10 minutes and walk for 1  repeatedly throughout.

On race day...  I've never run-walked, so others will have to advise.  But a running pace of 11 minutes per mile....  and having a couple of minutes rest at each water station... that might see you just sneak under 5 hours, which would be a remarkable achievement!  Whatever you do, do not go out too fast in the early miles.   If you go above threshold,  working those faster muscle fibres during the race, your energy will be depleted very quickly. The last 8 miles are likely to be very very hard. You MUST keep slow enough throughout.

Good luck.

I thought it was jolly decent of you to spend the time putting that together.  Just maybe there's a lurker out there feeling too ashamed to admit that they've done bugger all training but are sponsored up to the hilt to run a marathon in a few weeks' time, who may find this handy.

• Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

the 'speed work' will ironically give you strength!

Speed works gives you strength for 5k or 10k training, but it won't get you through a marathon.  It does help you run faster, but only for short distances unless it's backed up by long term endurance training.  If you normally run at (say) 9 minute mile pace, then managing some short intervals at 7 minute miles will make 8 minute miles seem a lot easier than if you'd just increased gradually from the slower base. 

Problem is, if you went off at 8 minute miling at the start of the marathon, you'd feel great for a few miles, but you'd die on your feet not long after and you'd be walking by halfway.  With such a limited time to train, your best bet is to start slowly and just get round at that pace.  If you've got an endurance base from another sport (cycling, perhaps?) then that'll help a lot but any attempt to run faster than you're capable of sustaining, fuelled by inadvisable speed work, is not going to be pretty.

• I'm not going to give a name but he is 21, and recently ranked top 5 for the UK in 1500M, 3000M and 5000M in the U23 category.

I'm not trying to get sub 3...sub 5 is my aim, preferably the closer to 4 the better.

I'm not saying I'm ignoring you, I'm going to swap some speed work as I mentioned eariler for faster longish runs...who would you trust more though, someone who you've known for 16 years who is obviously doing something right (he could beat 99% of people on this forum in a marathon without training) or random people who just insist on giving abuse, claiming they are great etc.

You guys told me to ask him and get his reply and that is what I did, it's now you guys who don't loike what HE said. He knows me, we have run together A LOT over the years, so I don't see why the programme he made would be so unsuitable....(that said I am ammending it slightly as a result of the adcive here)

• "On runs over 80 minutes, use them to get used to taking on water and food - as you will need these on race day." I will be trying this, was one of the biggest problems I had in the half marathon.

• I refer you to Seren's post earlier - if you trust his advice, take it.

We don't trust it and wouldn't take it but it's entirely up to you.

Your race. Your body. Your pain.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Don't forget to register image

• Alex who on this thread has claimed they are great?

The only one claiming anyone is great is you - about your mate.

I'm not going to give a name but he is 21, and recently ranked top 5 for the UK in 1500M, 3000M and 5000M in the U23 category.

...(he could beat 99% of people on this forum in a marathon without training) or random people who just insist on giving abuse, claiming they are great etc.

it's pretty obvious the training programme he's given you is based on the distances he excels at - which isn't a marathon.

sure - he's a telented runner - but he's no marathon runner and although I have no doubt that he could complete a marathon, I'm not entirely sure he could beat 99% with NO training

hey ho - what will be will be.

• I mean your knowledge base/intelligence is great. \

• Troll.

In fact I have a suspicion that Alex Coward 2 is an invention of someone else on this forum. But i'm not going to tell you their name, just hint at their identity.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I have a friend too Alex ....... lets call him Bo ....... did quite well at the Olympics too I might add

Ah yes... Bo Qiu.  Ranked 627 in the medal table with a silver in the diving.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

We have a lot of info on the friend - age, rankings in 3 events at U23, time off olympic qualifying time. I'm sure a couple of mins on Power of 10l would supply the name. Not bothered though.

DF3 - it doesn't take months to get past a distance 13.1 miles if you are fit, healthy, and can walk/run. Maybe this is an occassion where the tried and tested DF3 Training Plan doesn't applyimage

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

How can he take the piss out of something that doesn't exist? image

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

Troll.

In fact I have a suspicion that Alex Coward 2 is an invention of someone else on this forum. But i'm not going to tell you their name, just hint at their identity.

For the last time I am not a troll. I have not been given his permission so I see no reason to expose his name on the internet. He ran a mile in 4.02 a while back after the season was officially done, that makes him at least reasonably accomplished.

This seems reasonable to me

"So to be honest, given the criteria he has set, doing shorter runs 'for now' is probably best, so long as Alex also acknowledges that if he enters another marathon, that he needs far more than 4 weeks and needs to incorporate long runs into his routine."

If I ran 120 minutes tomorrow I'd be aching for at least 3-5 days, so it wouldn't be a good use of my time surely? 

I don't know who you're thinking of as a repeat troll but i've never posted here before. I just want to run a marathon under 5 hours. I can probably run 13 miles in 2 hours at the moment. I don't think its an outrageous goal, yes difficult etc but not like youguys are making out. 

I've been playing football for the last few months also if that helps :/

I'm not going to give a name but he is 21, and recently ranked top 5 for the UK in 1500M, 3000M and 5000M in the U23 category. 

If so, that would make him one of these guys on the power of 10 website, so you're saying your friend is either Luke Caldwell, Kieran Clements, Tom Purnell, Sam Atkin or Marc Scott then?

Of those 5, only Luke Caldwell is 21, so is your friend Luke Caldwell?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Come on guys. A 4:02 miler and DF3 have put together a plan. Now is the time to go to it Alex. Who mentioned anything about silly season  (no offence DF3 or 4:02 miler man).

• Playing football wont help you - running in short bursts, stopping and starting and changing direction is nothing like running long distance.

You know...I shouldn't even have to tell any reasonably intelligent person that....

Anyway, if you're so convinced your goal is not so outrageous then go ahead and do it. Prove us all wrong.

• strangely, from that list, only Tom and Kieran are also in the top 5 ranked 3000m U23 runners, and neither of them have turned 21 yet.

Luke is ranked 7th in the U23 3000m list.

• It doesn't really matter does it surely, I looked at a different list with his rankings done at different time periods so he's not in the top 5 on that page.

To be honest I don't know much about rankings.

He is on that page you posted though, it's irrelevant anyway, he could be ranked 500 he's still know a lot.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

He did say his friend was in the South Korean army.

Anyone know if Luke was in the armed forces at any point?

the friend he's doing the marathon with is from Korea; the guy offering the training plan is in the UK - 2 different people

do keep up DF3...image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Can anyone knock up a quick Venn diagram, containing the following elements?

- People who have not run a marathon (Alex's mate, DF3...)

- People who have run a marathon (most other contributors to the thread...)

- People that Alex is currently taking advice from (Alex's mate, DF3...)

I'd say this thread has got legs!