Options

RUNNING A MARATHON 1 MONTH TRAINING

Comments

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

DF3 I checked my training log for 1st week of running after a 25 year rest.

Week 1 Sat 5, Sun 10, Mon Rest,  Tue 4, Wed 6 ........ 
    Week 2 13LR,
    Week 3 14 LR

This was for a bloater of a 40+ year old, not a young whippet. No one is saying he should be doing 10/12 every few days, but weekly in the 36 day period he has, interspersed with easy running midweek, and maybe the odd bit of threshold to aleviate the boredom if necessary.

In Alex' case he could lengthen out the LR session through walk / run at the weekend. Now I know how you feel about walking so as his coach I leave that up to you.

• Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    AgentGinger wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

Jade Goody was unfit.

This lad is young and relatively fit...just not running fit........

...or real

Who do you think has 'made up' this character? Because if you think its me, you couldnt be more wrong. I dont need to create characters to cause controversy. Im entirely capable of doing it all under my own name.

don't be so touchy, my little cream puff.

• Options

My dear wife (45) ran a 5:38 marathon off a long run of 9 miles; it was done on a run/walk strategy from the off and it hurt her quite a bit, but she got the medal and t shirt.

No reason why a 21 year old male couldn't dip in sub 5 with a slow, controlled start.

Training between now and then? Every run a slow run and nothing above 10 miles for me...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The only thing I'll add to this (I don't care about the OPs aim just an accusation they made).

Some of the people that have commented on this have done numerous marathons/ iron distances and know what they're talking about. If you choose to ignore it - fair enough but don't argue with people more hugely experienced than you.
  • Options
    He won't hear you Emmy. He's picked up his bat and flounced home, not to be seen or heard from until 19th May when he'll return to present us with pictures of him clutching his medal!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I do hope he remembers to register! image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What a day to be in a conference and sat next to my new boss for the whole time.

I've missed one of the best threads ever!
  • Options
    I do love marathon season.

I'm sure the OP will get round - I'd be genuinely interested to read his race report.
  • Options

I'm looking forward to the finish photo - the one with the marshalls on either side of him that are holding him up photoshopped out image

Something tells me he won't be back though. Still, we'll have David's marathon succcess to celebrate image

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    Run Wales wrote (see)

1.   30   2. 60    3. 60   4.    50   5. Cross Train   6. 90   7. Rest

8. 30   9. 75    10. 30  11. 65     12. Cross train   13.  130*    14. Rest

15. 45  16. 60    17. Cross train   18.  40    19.  25+Cross train   20.  180*   21.  Rest

22.  30+Cross train  23. 60   24. Cross train    25.  60    26.  20   27.  150*   28   Rest

29.   20     31.   Rest    32.  20   33.  Rest  34.  Rest   35.   25    36.  Rest

37. 300+* image

Edited to make it fit !

I thought it was jolly decent of you to spend the time putting that together.  Just maybe there's a lurker out there feeling too ashamed to admit that they've done bugger all training but are sponsored up to the hilt to run a marathon in a few weeks' time, who may find this handy.

Yep.  I thought it was pretty decent of me too!   And also the physiological comments I made in the 2 previous posts...  all in response to Alex's pleas for detailed advice.  But he chose to ignore debate or acknowledgement on that, and chose to dig himself into a deeper and deeper hole with petty arguments that went nowhere.

I feel a little disappointed to have wasted my time really.  So I hope you're right that someone else might take advantage  (if there is advantage to be had from my suggestion !!  It would have been nice to have debated it.)

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Perhaps Runners World will pick up on these schedules for future articles.  "Be Marathon Ready in A Month" - definitely front page material, along with a photo of a sexy girl of course.

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Perhaps Runners World will pick up on these schedules for future articles.  "Be Marathon Ready in A Month" - definitely front page material, along with a photo of a sexy girl of course.

I wouldn't be prepared to put MY good name to it.  Well, not unless they paid me fifty quid.

• Options

I know a picture means a thousand words, but just to clarify I will be back, win or lose; I will be prepared to debate the realtive merits/flaws in what I did and how well it worked.

Yesterday I ran for 30 minutes, today 40.

Yesterday was really difficult, felt terrible, did not stop though. Around 8-9 minute miling

Today felt much faster, probably 7.5 minute miling, (may have been due to the fact I run better at night than the morning). 

Legs were slightly sore this morning, not bad at all.

Good luck to everyone else training for whatever marathon.

• Options

from your statement of probablys i take it you have no idea of how far or how fast you went...

have you tried measuring the route on one of the sites that do it and then doing the maths

• Options
    Blimey at this rate of improvement you'll be challenging the Kenyans.

Did we mention not to run all your miles flat out ? I'm sure someone must have.

Keep up the good work !
  • Options

Just don't neglect the rest! That's when you get stronger.

On marathon day, make sure you start slowly. I know lots of people have said it already, but 8 or 7.5 min miling at the start of your marathon will wipe you out by 16 miles. Sloooooooowly!

• Options

"from your statement of probablys i take it you have no idea of how far or how fast you went..." 

It's very difficult for me to measure since I don't know exactly where I'm going (all the signs are in swedish) 

But I do have a vague idea from when I was trying to run a 6 minute mile in the summer. (I'm really bad at 400/800/1500 etc)

• Options
    Anyone else not training for a marathon, but perversely tempted to enter one in 4 weeks time?

Longest run of past two weeks 6.68 miles. If I didn't have a niggle in my hip I might have gone for it! I'd have followed the 'run wales' plan over AC2's mate.

That said, I have known a couple of young males who've done good (1:40) HMs on little if no training apart from a bit of football. Do think a marathon is a different beast, but good luck to you. Will be interesting to see how you get on. And annoying if you beat my time (4:41, with 4 months training!)
  • Options
    Alex Coward 2 wrote (see)

"from your statement of probablys i take it you have no idea of how far or how fast you went..." 

It's very difficult for me to measure since I don't know exactly where I'm going (all the signs are in swedish) 

But I do have a vague idea from when I was trying to run a 6 minute mile in the summer. (I'm really bad at 400/800/1500 etc)

You can use Google Maps or a number of other online tools to measure your route and distance. Blimey, for a young bloke you're not very web savvy are you?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Mapmyrun is good if you're looking to track progress image
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

When are you going to enter the race Alex?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I saw the date... I am aware he is possibly not used his real name but just curious why there is a gap in the entry list where Alex Coward should appear?

• Options

maybe because its all made up.His name is  A Coward..sounds a bit dodgy image

• Options

Having left his training until the last minute, why would you think he's anymore organised about actually entering?

Unless it's a way of making sure the race is already full? image

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I know. That's what I thought, seren.

His imaginary friend sounds pretty good though. Trying to figure out if his sub 3 marathon in training is better than my 9.3 sec 100m warm up effort beating all 4 Ninja Turtles and a Unicorn in the process. For information Rafael pulled up with a hamstring injury.

• Options
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Having left his training until the last minute, why would you think he's anymore organised about actually entering?

Unless it's a way of making sure the race is already full? image

"

Applications can be made up to 3 days before the event online and can even be entered on the day. There is no limit for capacity.

I have not entered because I may become injured before, as many marathon runners do in their training, one of my friends had completed 2 30k runs, and just recently his hamstring went, forcing him to quit.  

Read into this what you will but I have every intention of entering this race.

• Options

I feel Rafael`s pain! You must be a monster when warmed up!