Squirrel!

2»

Comments

• It is vermin and you need to dispatch, fill a bucket with water and throw the cage in, or put poison in with some plaster, I haven't tried the poison.
  • The traditional method of simply dropping the trap into water is now frowned upon. Just break its neck - wear gloves, though. I'm pretty sure that greys are classed as vermin, so releasing them is illegal (it is definitely illegal to release rats). If a brick is too up close and personal, use a spade - not sure how that would work with a trap though.

• If it's illegal to release vermin but you don't want to kill them, does that mean you have to keep them as pets?

• Put some food down (dried apricots and the end of a twix) this morning to see if it got eaten. Gone within 20 minutes.

/members/images/596170/gallery/motion-2013-04-12-08.47.45.jpg

Cute little fellow isn't he (she? it?).

/members/images/596170/gallery/motion-2013-04-12-08.47.46.jpg

I can see why people catch and release them, or pay a professional and don't ask too many questions. Should get my trap on Monday, not looking forward to using it.

• you could always eat it....image

• easiest way to dispatch a squirrel is a swift stamp on the head! like trampling on a egg!

leave the feelings at home when it comes to GREY squirrels.

they are absolute VERMIN!! they shouldnt be in this country and are killing our treasured REDS!

Fecking greys i hate them!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Tom77 wrote (see)

Yeah, not too keen on the "dispatching" part. What do you do, hit it with a hammer?

The problem with bricks and hammers and stamping on their heads is that you have to get the animal out of the cage first.  They will bite, you drop them, off they go.

When I've caught rats in a cage trap, I dropped the cage into a tub of water.  They can hold their breath for a very long time.

• Just spray the place with aftershave or perfume they hate the false smell

• Wilkie my dad did that and thats probably the most cruel way of killing a rat!!

Shame on you!!

• When I trap rats, its the spade or my air rifle, if it is close to hand. Grey squirrel visited to dig up my onion sets a couple of hours ago. It didn't get the chance to leave!

• My trap arrived, only ordered it yesterday morning so that's quite impressive.

I'll set it when I get home, could be squirrel-free before the day is over.

• We had a squirrel problem a couple of years ago. Because of our profound inertia we lived without lighting in the kitchen for two months over winter, which made for some romantic meals.

A bloke came round eventually and put poison down. Two weeks later we had the most horrendous fly infestation which lasted a day. But at least we didn't have to dispatch them ourselves *shudder*.

I'd be useless after armageddon, I couldn't even bear the thought of killing vermin when the little feckers were interefering with our lighting.
  • Quick update. I was using bits of twix in the trap but the squirrel was eating those without setting it off, Indiana Jones Temple of Doom stylee.

Switched to using peanut butter and that did the job. The squirrel that was in my loft is now in my wheelie bin. Was a bit grim getting the body out of the trap, but at least no bricks were needed.

• Tom77 wrote (see)

Quick update. I was using bits of twix in the trap but the squirrel was eating those without setting it off, Indiana Jones Temple of Doom stylee.

Switched to using peanut butter and that did the job. The squirrel that was in my loft is now in my wheelie bin. Was a bit grim getting the body out of the trap, but at least no bricks were needed.

Some did mention to me earlier this week that peanut butter wasn't very good for you.

He was obviously right!

• I looked at the traffic light label on the jar of peanut butter (lots of red) and thought that if the trap didn't work I could perhaps feed it enough to give it a heart attack.