Talkback: Nutrition Clinic: How to fuel a marathon

Very useful information I must say. I was wondering if having some energy drink can help recovering after the race.

Comments

• milkshake is briliant as a recovery drink

• Yep as Seren says milkshake is good. I alway bung a couple of slimfast shakes in my kit bag and neck them as soon as I can. And then its BEER !
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

water
    Lucozade Sport
    water
    chocolate milk drink (Galaxy?)
    lime and soda
    beer
    beer
    beer
    McDonald's milkshake
    lime and soda
    beer
    beer
    beer
    beer
    beer

It's not textbook (can you tell where I move on to the second pub?), but that's my best guess of how things will pan out on the day.

• Ribena then water

Wine

Wine

Wine

Water
  • Bar of chocolate, I've got 5 easter eggsimage

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think I've spent more time planning my post marathon recovery plan than anything else for next weekend.

So far it's

Water

Milkshake

Beer

Water

Multiple beers

Curry

More beer

Water
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Mine is:

water
    flapjack
    water or lemonade
    strong black coffee x 2 (can't have it before)
    water
    g&t
    massive sunday roast + wine
    wine
    wine
    etc.

• Wow a lot of fluid going on on this forum good to see every hydrating image
  • 10g per kilo seems massively high to me - equiv of 20 bowls of cereal a day? I thought the idea was to keep the calorie level the same but to tilt away from fat and protein and into carbs. 

• Adipex ? Appetite suppressant ? Banned in competition - but I'd stay clear of drugs and marathons.

It's not like you can stop for a cheeseburger on route is it ?
  • I used these tips to help me through VLM 2013; however I still had to suffer muscle cramps around mile 20 and the was forced to walk/jog the last 6 miles to the finish line. I could not seem top up my electrolyte levels enough to continue running at a 4:30 pace. Finished in 5:20.