newbie question

I'm considering taking up triathlon, as I used to be a decent swimmer, I run and bike ride. I have a Specialized road bike and nothing else. What's essential beginner equipment, and how much are we looking at for it? Tri suit or wetsuit, clip on shoes or not, etc, etc. Bit of an open ended question but I'm an information junkie before I start something new...

Comments

• Pool swim - hat. goggles and a tri suit
    Bike - your choice, usual clobber, clippies if you want them
    Run - shoes

Sorted  image

• Thanks m...eldy. My Specialized is a good light bike, so I'm happy with that. Is a tri suit ok for all three disciplines or just the swim? Mega newbie questions warning image
  • Tri suit ... put on at the beginning and keep it on til the end

• If its OW you will need a wetsuit too!
  • I've not entered anything yet, I'm just testing the costs water before I do. So wetsuit, trisuit and some half decent runners, plus some clip on shoes. Right. EBay here I come plus my local running and cycling shops. Cheers folks
  • I wouldn't purchase a wetsuit from ebay unless you know exactly what you are looking for ..... and unless you are sure to do OW swimming !

• Perhaps try a pool based tri first to see if you think you are going to like it before splashing out on a wettie.

• If you are checking out packages, look at www.triuk.com Not saying buy from there but do check them out, even if just for costing. I have used them and I was happy.

• Trisuit isn't essential. You can do your first without.  Tri-shorts are much more flexible, I rarely wear a trisuit outside of racing or some exceptional training. However tri shorts I use on the bike all the time, run in them if all running shorts are in the wash, and have swum in them outside of racing.

Tri-shorts and t-shirt is fine for your first - especially if pool swim. Add a monaco (tight singlet) if you enjoy it.  They are also more practical for using the facilities.

M..eface

• Look for a pool based swim first. If you already run you must have trainers, if you bike ride you may have proper bike shoes or ride in the same trainers and swimming there not much to that other than goggles. If you have cycling shorts I would maybe swim in them ( although the thicker pad will be very wet on the bike ) if they were tight fitting to the waist and no chance of coming down in the pool. Throw a cycling top over with your number on in transition and just stay like this for the rest of the event ( maybe changing footwear if you have cycling shoes and trainers ). Give it a go first make sure you like it then look to purchase other things later.Most local tri events will have a massive mixture of talent in there from top racers to others just having a go. Get on, enjoy, enter more and then be prepared to part with some cash for basics and if the readies are spare then the sky is your limit on how much you can spendimage