Intensive bouts of exercise

Did anyone see Andrew Marr on the TV this morning?

In case you're not aware, Marr suffered a stroke a few weeks ago which he is in part putting down to an issue he had whilst on a rowing machine.  He said he was following an exercise program where the person exercising does very intensive exercise for a short period of time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9992845/Andrew-Marr-tells-viewers-how-stroke-hit-after-rowing-machine-session.html

Any views on this?

Marr has said he has a lot more to say on the issue, once he feels better.

Comments

• I didn't read it that he was following an actual programme, more what he was reading "in the newspapers", that it didn't matter if you're too busy to exercise you can just flog yourself stupid for short bursts and it'll do just as good.

Poor bloke, hope he takes a more balanced attitude to life now...

• People are very quick to say "there you are, that proves exercise is bad for you" mostly because they don't like doing it themselves and it makes them feel a bit better.  I ran 5k for the first time yesterday morning and have had three migraine aura epsiodes since.  Sure enough I have had the "stop running then" comments! I am sure there are many couch potatoes who will settle smugly back into slobdom because of this article.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

He does say in that article he'd also been overworking and had suffered 2 mini strokes before this.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what he says when he's recovered fully.

Maybe I jumped to conclusions (apologies if that's the case) but I had assumed he was doing that thing that Dr Mosley mentioned in one of his programs whereby people do very intensive short bursts of exercise a few times per week.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251

Hopefully Marr gets back to 100% soon. It was a bit of a shock seeing him on the program today but he was saying that he's taking more time off to focus fully on the physio required to regain his movement on his left side.
  • stress is the biggest cause of strokes isn't it......the mimi stroke or TIA is often a warning that you need to change something in your life......if you don't the chances are you will keep on ahving them until you have a full blown one....