Options

Boston Marathon

124»

Comments

• Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

You have my sympathy Dude

• Options
    I was so moved by events I wrote a blog post about how devastating I find this as part of the running community. Perhaps I should have copied and pasted my post. Apologies for any offence caused, just wanted to share how I was feeling as I thought other runners might be feeling the same way. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend anyone.
  • Options
    Boston was awful - but there are far worse atrocities in the world most days that don't have the coverage as there aren't the TV cameras with their live feed to cover it. Life is cheap in a lot of places.

We are numb to most of this - but something so close to home has a disproportionate effect on us all.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

On war coverage I think people are missing the point in that you get to see what you are allowed to see. Any media coverage of actual conflicts is highly controlled, at least the ones conducted by technologically advanced western nations.

Incidents like in Boston are more open to mass viewing as they unknown to those in authority and these days anyone with a smart-phone can take pictures/video and upload it to the Web in seconds. Add to that social network tools like twitter.

• Options
    Sat at Logan airport waiting to come home lucky enough to finish before the bombs but was about 100 yards away in a bar having a beer it was unbelievable people cheered us when we entered as if we had won it and after the blasts apologising to us , they are really very special people and don't deserve this
  • Options
    Nobody deserves bombs.
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Nobody deserves bombs.

AGREED

• Options
    He really shouldn't have any. Take away his bombs.
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're alright Jonah. Checked the results and saw you'd finished but didn't know where you'd be at the time. Glad you're safe.
  • Options
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

What about the leader of North Korea?

Who would that be?

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

truly shocking - there are some sick weirdos out there, just hope London puts on a true show of defiance this week.
    Working in London, like agent ginger, you get perhaps immunised by these senseless attacks - but remember as a kid the IRA blowing up a wimpy (1980ish?) and subsequent bombs at the stock exchange, Victoria, the Baltic exchange, bishopsgate, and docklands , which would have been early 1996 - as they had the whole marathon route boarded up round there. Very eerie running that year...Also a bomb at London Bridge (1992/3?) that I remember as I was in work and no-one else came in for hours...my future missus was on a train at the platform when it happened. Oh and 7/7.... as I say , sick weirdos

• Options

Running is such a force for good.  Our sport unites us, keeps us fit, gives us a sense of purposes and raises millions for charity.  Why target us and our supporters?

My thoughts are with ALL those involved, runners, spectators, marshalls, organisers and those working there.  Todays run was dedicated to them all.

• Options
    Elizabeth Dix 4 wrote (see)

Running is such a force for good.  Our sport unites us, keeps us fit, gives us a sense of purposes and raises millions for charity.  Why target us and our supporters?

I doubt the bombers  give a toss about all the stuff you mention.
    Their aim would have been to create as much mayhem and devastation as possible.

• Options

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)
    Nobody deserves bombs.

What about the leader of North Korea?

To be fair to North Korea they have never used a nuclear bomb to kill people. As you know David only one country as ever been so evil as to do that.

• Options
    He did put an political opponent in a field and blow him to smithereens though leaving not even a trace of him. Not the sort of bloke you would want to be playing around with the big red button is he?
  • Options
    I'd not even trust him with my Mars bar.
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

I wouldn't trust him with your mars bar either

• Options

He looks like he likes Mars bars. And pies.

• Options

Very sad to hear of the death of a young boy who was waiting for his dad to cross the finish line - awful for the dad to find his son dead and daughter and wife badly injured. Thought there might have been a front page dedication on this website - come on RW?

• Options

Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    He did put an political opponent in a field and blow him to smithereens though leaving not even a trace of him. Not the sort of bloke you would want to be playing around with the big red button is he?

This is a complete tangent - but I'd very much doubt it was him Kim Jong-Un, he's just a cog in a system thats clearly got wildly out of hand. I suspect if he suddenly started trying to reform the system he might meet with a fatal accident.

• Options

Trouble is, in the end you sometimes have to deal with these people. We ended up dealing with the IRA because even they got tired of it all...

• Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Loved doing Boston, loved the people of Boston, they really embrace all things marathon. Thoughts and prayers with the families of all affected.
    No way will this put me off VLM this weekend.  I'm in the same camp expressed so often here. . Roll on Sunday. I'll have my Macmillan vest on over a Boston shirt of some description and will remember.