Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

when training this year for Brighton i did a mix of Long runs as i was both doing my training run on a Friday which was targeted at being able to run at 8:53 pace which is what i need to be able to run at to hit the time i wanted and i also did this on my MWLR and one of the 5 mile runs the short 5 mile run before my LSR was done on the treadmill as a sort of recovery run were by i would walk 0. 5k and then run 0.5k followed by a rest day to give me the best chance of recovery for the Friday

Then on Saturday i was going out with the wife (Poohbear) on here LSR this was done as a run walk as this was the method she was going to use recovery runs all count as time on your feet which to me is as important as distance run at some point you have to get use to running on tried legs because at some stage unless you’re a train run as  mere mortal like myself you’re going to get tiered

And unless your use to running through it there nothing to do but stop and rest or stop altogether

again though this my own personal take on things and have to say it worked for me as i took 23.19 of my personal best this year

• Options

mrsoatham i have been reading snippets of all sorts on marathon training and the conflicting advice is amazing ...ive read to run long slow runs slow and also not to do them slow as running slow encourages slow running....i think im going to try and take a bit of a few ingrediants and mix them together for my marathon cake.....i do like the 2 week cycle though as someone already commented its better than squeezing everything into a week...

I too prefer cooler weather to  in ...i get hot very quickly

• Options

Hi everyone

Well i am determined t do this marathon next year as i decided to defer my place from this year, i was struggling with a niggling injury early in the year and i knew i hadnt done enough mileage so i made the hard decision to defer.Just wondering if many of you on here do the Brighton half in feb and if so do you recommend it and is it run on any of the marathon route?

• Options
    yvonne 2 wrote (see)

mrsoatham i have been reading snippets of all sorts on marathon training and the conflicting advice is amazing ...ive read to run long slow runs slow and also not to do them slow as running slow encourages slow running....i think im going to try and take a bit of a few ingrediants and mix them together for my marathon cake.....i do like the 2 week cycle though as someone already commented its better than squeezing everything into a week...

I too prefer cooler weather to  in ...i get hot very quickly

2 week cycle?  That wouldn't be for me, for a start I don't have a bike.

Sorry image

• Options

Green Fairy.....boom boom ....a la basil brush image

• Options

Well dont get me started on the Brighton half marathon its a sore point for me....like Mrsouthham i ran it the year they cocked up the distance and put the cone so say 500 meters to far up on the turn....so the results were altered for their mess.. it was the first time id ever ran under 2 hours too at the 13,1 mile mark....on the line id clocked 2:00:03 so they rounded me down to 1:57:56 unoffical....image

Reydon rover...saying all that yes the course is run on parts of the marathon course  starting by the pier and into the centre of town...out to ovendean and back towards the power station although you turn back so dont have to say hello close up...and i would do it again cos its a lovely fast course and scenic....

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I ran the Brighton HM this year and thankfully the course length was spot on this year. Lots of runners use the half as a measure for how their marathon training is going. I will no doubt be signing up again as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Received my P&D advanced marathoning book yesterday will have a read over the weekend and rposrt back image

• Options

You will be relieved to hear that I picked up my medication today.

Brighton marathon, Brighton half, Great South Run.  All three to pay out for!  Will stagger as much as I can (much like my running style).

I haven't taken my medication yet.image

• Options
    Yay green fairy!! I'm doing all of those ones too! See you there image could do with some of that medication if you have any spareimage
  • Options

Green Fairy please dont take any medication we like you just the way you are......besides it may turn you pink!!!!!!!!! 

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Green Fairy - best medication is entering Brighton marathon image

• Options
    Nix10Nix10 ✭✭

Hi,

After completing London last week and saying no more, I've just entered Brighton....chasing that 3.30 time! Can anyone confirm if the "Registration Confirmation" email means confirmed place or I'm in a ballot??

Thanks

• Options

Nix10 you are in, Brighton doesn't have a ballot system....yet

HIIT and cross training session for me tonight. Didn't want to go but determined I'm not going to miss a session unless I'm injured so I went anyway and actually enjoyed it especially as I got a buzz from not quitting.

• Options

Hello all, ran the brighton marathon this year, first marathon ever but was impressed by organisation. I booked for next year at the expo - has anyone got their email link yet - glad signed up at expo as was £40 - but would still be ok to pay £60. Starting training in few weeks - plan to do two 24 week programme - hoping to get 3.40 ish (got 3.56 this year) 

• Options

Hi toxic. I signed up at the exbo this year too and havent had the email link yet. Thanks for the post I was just wondering if i had missed the email or something. I agree on the price, although I paid £40 it cost me £50 to get the train down for the day to sign up (didn't run this year) and I don't regret it even though you could say it cost me £90 to sign up. Good luck with the training I'm sure you can achieve it. That's a fantastic time for a first marathon!

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Hi Nix, what was your time at the VLM?

• Options

Morning all

Did some cross training yesterday well if you can count cutting the grass and hedge for the first this year what with all the extra training runs with Poohbear just haven’t had the time to get out there

which did mean i never went for a run which is quite alien as you could count the Fridays  on one hand that I’ve not run this year must say it was nice to be able to miss a run and not feel guilty about it

of to bed in a minute as I’ve just got in from work had stock take last night  when i get up will then go out with Poohbear for a 6 mile run

• Options

Hi guys, like few of you on here I ran London last week, will be in the ballot come Monday, but as you know the chances are slim. Was thinking of entering Brighton as a back up but wanted to know if you are able to defer it as I don't think I'm up for the two black to back. 

• Options
    Nix10Nix10 ✭✭

Hi Tillstar, thanks...will be entertaining a short trot tomorrow to see what state my legs are in!

Hi, Khanivore, time was 3 hours 39mins, did 3hrs 49mins last year at Brighton....i did a 3.30 training plan, but something went drastically wrong from 20 miles onwards, my lower legs (side part) felt like they were going to cramp with every step and legs just fell apart...frustrating...maybe asking too much to shave 20 mins off...but its only my second one and i am still learning the art!

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    toxic mango wrote (see)

Hello all, ran the brighton marathon this year, first marathon ever but was impressed by organisation. I booked for next year at the expo - has anyone got their email link yet - glad signed up at expo as was £40 - but would still be ok to pay £60. Starting training in few weeks - plan to do two 24 week programme - hoping to get 3.40 ish (got 3.56 this year) 

Toxic/ Tillstar - I got an email from The Grounded Events Company Ltd on the day I entered, the Friday of the Expo.  It's a bit odd as the form completed on the day did not include anything about expected finish time, which is necessary to be correctly allocated to a corral.  The link from the email I got takes one to a website which doesn't really tell you much except that you've paid.  Presumably the data will be loaded into the proper systems in due course.

• Options

sgb according to a very reliable source (barbie1976) we will get an email taking us to a link to complete expected finish time at shirt size etc. the form at the exbo was designed to get as many people as possible to be able to sign up

3 mile recover for me today and for once it was at a pace that should be a recovery run think my brain is finally accepting that if I run every mile at mp or faster I will never make it to the start line and some runs have to be slower doesn't mean il miss my target completely.

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Nix wow fantastic time!!! Nice image I did 4:05:54 at VLM - will be fun to see how much I can improve over the next year.

• Options

Hi Tilstar - thanks - it was tough hoping to get vlm ad well so can di back to back (madness : ) ) SGB - apparently there will be email - confirmed to me by event organisers - just keeping eye out that does not tho to spam

: )

• Options

Tillstar - why thank you, I don't think I've ever been called a 'very reliable source' before! image

No rest for me since Brighton marathon, as I'm in the final push of training before my first ultra in 3 weeks. Did 40 miles back to back last weekend (16/24) and it's 50 miles back to back this weekend. I'm just back from the first part of it - 30 miles on the South Downs. It was the first time I've gone beyond marathon distance and it didn't feel particularly harder than last weeks 24.....whether I am saying the same thing when I wake up tomorrow morning and have to follow it up with another 20 miles is another matter completely!

Hope everyone is enjoying their post Brighton/London rest image 

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Can't wait for Brighton so have signed up for Chester in the Autumn as well image

So regards to raining for Brighton will defo do P&D, but may try out either Shades or Hal Highdon for Chester.

Tillstar have you any races planned for this year as your training seems pretty full on at present

Barbie that sounds pretty hardcore to me, but good luck on your ultra. Ultra's have interested me massively after reading Eat and Run but will have to see how wrecked I feel after a marathon image

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I was thinking about Chester... Don't know though. I will Hadd until about the time of Chester and then P&D or shades from then on.

• Options

Hi! Yes I have at least one race a month from now until november and a personal trainer for 3 months so under his plan at the moment. Doing a range of distances some I will race and some I will treat more as a training run as I have some close together including 3 halfs on consecutive weekends. 

Following my trainers plan at the moment then one we have devised together for the interim period then will follow shades plan for the marathon training (thanks karnivore)

• Options

Hi everyone,

I'm in though i'm keeping it a bit quiet at the mo s i don't want to anger the injury gods.

I've been running for 10 years now and Brighton will hopefully be my 8th marathon. When i first started running i was doing lots of additional exercise/classes in the gym so i guess i had a strong core. Ended up getting divorced and having to give up my gym membership due to cash flow problems. Have had a succession of one injury after another after another but now am finally back in the gym and running well (though not back to my previous pace)

Historically every time i try to add in speed sessions i pick up an injury so basically i'm scared of trying and avoid them like the plague. I'd love to become faster but equally i love running and wnt to carry on injury free.

I've actually entered Chester and have just started Hal Higdons 3 run a week programme (I've always done the novice 2) as i think i need to keep up the core work in order to ward of injury. I'm a little worried about only doing 3 runs a week though.

I'm worried i may pick up aninjury so am keeping it quiet re Brighton at least until i'm through Chester. We'll see how it goes.

Has anyone else ever done the 3 runs a week programme?

• Options

Hi its nice to see lots of new faces on this thread for this years ride...hope you all enjoy your training, brighton is a lovely marathon ...

Me, i went out today for an 8 miler and had a lovely run in the sunshine, the wind was cool enough not to get too hot..

i too am thinking of an autumn marathon but am leaning more towards the bacchus ....no not because of the wine and beer tasting around the course!!! im a light weight at drinking and id be hopeless if i touched a drop going round, ill stick to the water and save the alcohol for the end along with the bbq..

Tillstar your on a mission for brighton eh ..a race every month till november...and a PT image

• Options

Ha Ha Yvonne I guess I am just want to finish knowing I tried my best whatever my time though the races and PT are kind of by accident.

The PT was discounted due to the amount of time I have been at my gym and is primarily to get me kick started and maintain the motivation.  Its a lot harder to stay in bed rather than going for a run when I have to justify my laziness to him on Tuesday.  And the races are a mixture of ones I always do, one I was asked to do for a charity and some were signed up to to fill some gaps before some I prefered to do released their dates.

Should have a been a slow 10 miler for me this morning and it was going well at the correct pace for a long run and I was enjoying myself and then my IBS played up and I ended up cutting the run short.  Having real problems with it at the moment and more than 6 miles is a real struggle.  Starting to get me down as I always used to be run up to 16 milers with no problems but nothing seems to work at the moment.  Going to the nutritionist next weekend as suspect a food intollerance is causing the problem and if it means I continually have to check labels then so be it I just want my happy LSRs back.