Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• what time you looking for on sunday pooh?

• AH - I'm one of the slower runners - my best time for a 10K was earlier this year at Longleat when I completed it in 1hr 18mins 40secs.  I would like to be able to shave a little off and get under the 1hr 15mins, but will have to see how it goes as feel I am still not fully recovered from Brighton yet  and having started a less sedentary job.

• Poohbear you are a runner!!!! no matter what speed ...you have been a massive inspiration to alot of people on this thread during your marathon training this past year ...have a good run on sunday ,wish i was able to do it this year but other plans have taken priority image .....

• well said yvonne, thats what i love about running. we all complete the same distance at the end of the day in any given race. doesnt matter if you finish first or last, we are all competing with ourselves.  One of the things I love most about race days is the chatting with other runners before and during the race with no competition involved.  having said this, i did get very competitive at VLM this year that I would not be beaten by a man dressed as a cockroach (i think I was though!)

• Andrew i try not to get beaten by noddy and his car who has run brighton the last 4 years .. think he passed me in 2012 image...and maybe 2010 and 2011 too ....image

• ill keep an eye out for him.  I beat the guy carrying the 80KG backpack, an ocopus and a couple of beer bottles in VLM, Cockroach man had 'save the cockroach' on the back of his outfit. was quite funny until he started pulling away from me!

• I got beaten by a traffic cone in my last half marathon image

• hi, new to this forum so be gentle! i ran the London this year (first marathon) and managed a very steady, even run in 4:22 and although have put in for the London ballot next year I am very tempted by the Brighton event as so many people have said such positive stuff about it but does it get full and if so by when???

• Hi Gary! Welcome to the thread.  Congratulations on your first marathon time Im hoping for a similar time for Brighton next year but the main aim is to finish! Yes the marathon does get filled up normally sometime over the summer (sorry not very helpful as I cant remember roughly when) but there are a lot of experts on this forum who should be able to advise you more.  I think Charity places were still available up to close to the marathon date but then you have a target to raise for them (Circa £500)

• I think the entries close sometime in mid June but not 100% sure. I know the price increases to £70 in a couple of weeks time. 

Tillstar - hope you get over your fatigue soon. Intervals do seem to have that effect. It's taken me a while to recover from my 20 mile race that I did 2 months ago. I went for a pleasant 4 mile off road run yesterday and my back seems to be feeling a lot better thank goodness. 

Hopefully I will be able to do a 10k at the end of the monthimage

• well the 3 miles never happened will try again tomorrow or i may do the unthinkable and have a week off running and just rest

• Entries for the fifth edition of Brighton Marathon, which will take place on Sunday 6th April 2014 went live at midday on Tuesday 16th April.

Entries were priced at £50 for the first 2,000 entries and sold out in four hours.  When the 2,000 limit was reached the price of entry increased to £60.  The price will stay at £60 until 5pm on Friday 17th May.

The price of entry will increase to £70 until Friday 14th June when entries will close.

this was on the Brighton web site

• Thanks Jellygirl.  Still feeling shattered despite no running and a ton of very early nights so off to the doctors tonight as my PT thinks I may be anemic.  Just want to get back to running so I'll follow his suggestion and get checked out

• welcome Gary, ive entered Brighton for next year with the intention of defering London if I get in. Ive ran london twice now and wanted to try somewhere different plus its a guaranteed entry!

been bogged down all week marking coursework so going to try and get out for a run this evening for the first time since Sunday. running a half on Sunday that was delayed from March due to the weather. really hope it stays nice as its all along tow paths so not worried about a time just want to relax and enjoy it.

Tillstar and Jelly, i really need to start some intervals as I want to get my 10k and half time down over next few months but I hate the thought of doing them... you guys talking about how knackered you are after isnt helping either!! image

• has anyone got any tips on how to deal with stitch...my daughter gets it everytime she runs ....a mile in and bang she is in pain and can hardly breath .....she warms up....she leaves 2-3 hours after food to run.....she trys breathing deeply and then quickly ...running with her right arm in the air.....nothing works ...she is so unhappy about it as like me she can run for miles if it wasnt for this stitch ....

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Yvonne it could be a combination of dehydration and a lack of sodium - just a thought?

Tillstar hope you start to get your energy back soon, anaemia is a real problem for us females!

Tempo run for me this evening,not a great run by all accounts as also feeling a bit tired but that is due to the Spring arriving alongside the Dawn Chorus of Birdsong at 4am - I do love Spring and Summer I just wish the birds would wait until 5am image

• lisa thanks i will ask her how much liquid she has during the day and givegive her some high 5 tablets to dilute in water to drink a few hours before a run ...will get back to you on any improvment 

we as in myself and daughter went for a 3mile run with hills tonight and i ran them all yippee even kept up with the nippy 23 year old ok she had stitch so was hampered 

• Andrew - I have improved my 10k time by just over 2 minutes since the beginning of the year with a weekly interval session. They are tough but the rewards are great. My fatigue was my own fault as I was pushing too hard and not doing my long runs slow enough. I've learnt a lesson

Yvonne - I have suffered from stitches quite a bit in the past and mine were caused through dehydration. As soon as I drank water regularly throughout the day they did disappear. 2 - 3 days before a race I mix the water with nunn tablets. I hope your daughter sees an improvement soon as stitches are really unpleasant.

• morning all

hope your all well I've done the unthinkable this week and haven't run since Monday i may do a very slow 3 miles today to get the legs going for Sunday but have just work a 13 and a quarter hour shift so it's going to depend on how tiered i am

have a great bank holiday lets hope the weather holds

• nothing wrong with having time off toby!

gotta listen to your body, you'll come back stronger - it takes up to 3 weeks before you lose any gains you may have made previously!

• Well said mr southam I quite agree. Woke up this morning finally feeling a bit brighter and if it hadn't been a work day I would definitely have gone for a run its perfect weather for it here. Going to run tomorrow but thinking I might do it at the gym ate least that way if I start to struggle again I can just stop the treadmill and go home rather than being 4 miles from home. Good luck in your 10k poohbear and toby3 don't forget to post how you get on. Have a great bank holiday everyone.

• Apparently this is what DF3 though  of us all on this thread he posted this on another thread

Reading the Brighton marathon thread .... its pure comedy gold! I daren't say why for fear of offending the participants but even today people are posting stuff which you just think 'Really???' LOL.

You have to admit the whole thread is amusing, right now theyve all got their numbers and are discussing whether the colours on their bibs clash with the outfits they'll be wearing.

• Hi everyone

i will be doing Brighton as well next year so wanted to join you all.

ive recently run london and did Brighton last year. Really looking forward to it all ready. 

• Welcome NeilE image

Toby3 that doesnt surprise me!!

• regardless of what DF3 or other people may say last year's forum has got me through a tough year and if it wasnt for you guys I wouldnt even have contemplated running 2014

• Yes the whole thread seems dedicated or nearly the whole thread seem dedicate to being rude about either me Pohhbear and Snowmaiden or pointing out what a bunch of losers we are i did have a good laugh at when i read it

• As long as you can laugh at it.  Some people are quite (Cant actually think of the word I want to put there just grrrr)  You three have helped me so much over the year and there are a lot more people like me so who cares what one silly man thinks.  Good luck for your race at the weekend.

Has snowmaiden recovered from the Marathon yet I know she said she had some injuries?

• she getting there thanks i told her to take a 2 week break from running to give her ankle a chance to recover

• Sensible advice - I have learnt the hard way why you shouldnt run too much too soon and not give your body a chance to recover

• Toby and poohbear good luck with the 10k at the weekendimage Let us know how you get on. 

Hi NeilE image