Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Toby i think that DF3 is still reading last years thread ??? we havnt got our numbers yet?? and everyone knows that blue and green shouldnt be seen (together!!!) image

Good luck with yours and poohbears 10km on sunday......im signing up next wednesday for the local 10km (hopefully places will still be available) got to wait till paydayimage...1st race ticked off the wish list anyway for this year...

Building mileage steadily gonna try for 9.5 tomorrow did 8.2 last week have ran 3 times this week too as ive done the last 4 weeks...

Hello to all new comers no matter what some people say this thread is fun....and informative

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Toby & Poobear - good luck on Sunday ????

Rest day today and tomorrow as I'm tired. Doing 8 miles off-road on Sunday ????

• Well I finally started my training again today. Was gunna do a itty bitty one miler but I did the first circuit of my run in about 12 mins, felt great and was enjoying the weather so I did another couple of laps. Ended up doing 3 miles in 36:14.

Any others who did their first marathon recently find that compared to that, the really short runs feel like a piece of cake?

• Good work snow maiden. This weather is great for running tho I've been struggling a little, think I'm running too fast too soon after London and my muscles keep niggling, but have a half marathon tomorrow so gonna give that a go without racing it

• hi Snowmaiden great your out running again glad it felt good i should have followed the advice i gave you and not run so soon after Brighton as I've only run once this week as i it finally caught up with me this week

• Well done snowmaiden great work! A slow and steady 8.5 miles for me today. Did it at the gym so I could just stop the treadmill if I was struggling but it felt ok. Wont do anything until Tuesday now when I have a PT session Which I need to be rested for. Have learnt the hard way that a training plan is there if or a reason and sometimes you just need to follow it and stop adding extra distance and speed to every session.  Guess Ive just got to learn to do what I'm told ha ha Something my mother always said I struggle with image

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Well done Snowmaiden????

• Thanks guys. The weather up here is rather warm too, but after being cooped up in the kitchen all week in work, I felt like I just wanted to get out there and run and enjoy the weather while it lasts.

Toby: I'm not suprised you needed to take a break. You were running again on Tuesday. Mental person. image

• Good luck with the 10k tomorrow toby and poohbear,hope it goes well.

I did my local parkrun today,was nice to meet other runners as i always run on my own and im thinking about joining a running club to try and improve.

• Thanks everyone for the good wishes

NeilE sorry ment to say welcome to the thread is this your frist Brighton marathon or have you run it before

• Got tested today for food intolerances and the like. I'm practically allergic to milk and margerine (no cakes for me then) at least I know what's making me sick and cutting them out should help things improve. Also found out I have above normal condition of organs (running is good for you) but my constant running an not taking enough rest means my adrenaline levels are sky high and my body is wondering what's going on apparently. Guess thats another reason to follow the plan and take scheduled rest days lol!

• I run Brighton in 2012 and enjoyed it, so thought I'd have another go.

it was a lot easier to get round with the kids than london this year as well.

Tillstar. its better to find these things out so u don't make yourself ill, wouldn't fancy no eating cake tho.

• as Neil say's better to find out now than get well into your training for Brighton and make your self bad at least you now have time to adjust your diet and get use to it

• Tillstar, is that all milk and milk products too like cheese and butter??  you can get soya spread to make cakes with...image what about olive spread to, which is what i have..

My mum is wheat intolerant and if she has a sniff of the stuff she comes down with a migraine that lasts for a few days so she has to be really careful..

I ran a 9.15 miler today (i like tesco like to say every bit of mileage counts...) im running on trail at the moment and the last mile was on road which i ran at 9.54 pace but the last time i ran this route i was averaging 10.55 pace, today, it was 10.20 pace ...but will start doing some speed work once a week ..trouble is finding a day to put it in, as i like to keep saturday as my longer run day and at the moment im running with my daughter mon wed and fri but thats mainly to get my daughter back into her running so next week she wants to do 4 miles on each of those evenings the last 2 weeks we have been doing 3 miles on each evening, the weeks before that it was 2 miles .... we dont go at a real pace as she does not want to injure herself and wants to get distance before regaining her speed..i try and fit in some body conditioning stuff to on a tues and thurs ...i could always use a run with my daughter as a warm up then do some km repeats or a 30 min tempo run ...??

No bank holiday off for me im working tomorrow and monday image

Have a good run tomorrow toby and poohbear and anyone else doing a race...

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Just a long for me off-road today image

• Thanks for your good words guys. I'm just glad I know what it is so that I can avoid them and get back to running. It's not butter or cheese as it is lactose that is the problem and the production of butter and cheese removes the lactose. Unfortunately soya is also a problem. Will make the adjustments required to my diet and take the running a bit more gently for and while and then all will be good to ramp up the mileage more later. Like you say at least I can take a more gentler than normal few months without compromising a training plan. Currently enjoying my rest day and learning to listen to my body a bit more. Good luck Toby and Poohbear. Hope work isn't too bad Yvonne.

• tillstar, I've seen the lactose free milk is available now. What about almond milk (really nice).

snowmaiden, well done for getting back out, but also well done for your 12 month goal you've set yourself. 

Ive only managed a 3 miler last week, which caused a shin splint to flare up. Thenta rather bonkers I ran the Bewl Marathon yesterday. Goodness it was a difficult one, 25% slower than Brighton. They said it was undulating, I say it was blooming hilly, the whole way.

surprisingly feeling fine today. Hope to get my running routine back now preparing for autumn.

have a good bank holiday everyone.

• Afternoon all

well Bristol 10k done and dusted an i am now the proud owner of a new PB according to my Gamin getting around in 46:16 taking 3:08 of the time i set at Longleat early this year a beautiful day for running sun was out but the was a nice cooling breeze at times

Split wise 7:33, 7:32, 7:26, 7:27, 7:17, 7:01 with an overall pace of 7:20m/m

Yvonne glad the running with your daughter is going ok sorry to hear you have to work in this lovely weather

Tracy hope the run went well

Tillstarsounds like a good sensible approach to the problem

• Bristol 10k completed, great weather today so nice to be out in the sun.  Shaved 1min 20secs off 10k pb set at Longleat this year coming in at 1hr 17mins 23secs, but over 11 mins off best time taken for Bristol 10k set in 2009 (when I was helped along by Toby3) and over 17 mins faster than last Bristol 10k completed under my own steam in 2011.

Hope everyone is having a good bank holiday - enjoying this lovely weather

• Tilstar, I feel for you, my wife has wheat intolerance which is not too hard to get around but our second child (just 6months) appears to have a dairy allergy also and as he is exclusively breast fed that meanthan at she is also off the dairy! Seeing as I do all the cooking, make life interesting at times!

pooh and Toby, that's fantastic news great that you both hit new PB times well done!

must be a good day for PBs, ran the water of life half mara this morning in marlow in near perfect running weather along the most beautiful course (follows the river on tow paths for much of the course) finished in 1:39:45. Nearly two mins off my pervious PB set 5yrs ago now! Really had to push hard for the last 2-3miiles to get under 1:40 but really pleased ESP whtwo it's only two weeks since I ran VLM!

• *sheepish* Sooo... due to the weather outside I might possibly have decided to go for another run today. Have to enjoy the weather while I can after all. Did one of my five mile routes in 1:14:52 image 

Well done Toby and Poohbear on your 10k today, new PBs for both of you means I need to pull my finger out image.

• andrew well done on the PB sorry how rude of me i never welcomed you to the thread we do try and keep it going all year if we can

Snowmaiden well done for getting out there again and yes the finger will have to come out a long way over the next year if you don't want to be running Brighton on your own next yearimage

• GCE well done on completing the bewl water marathon! It was one of my to do races but given your report of it I think I have just crossed it off

Toby and Poohbear Fantastic running you guys are on fire at the moment smashing PB after PB well done!!

Andrew Thanks re the lactose intolerance.  Its currently making me very healthy as most meals now vegetables protein and a new love for sweet potatoes.  Gone are all the bad foods as I cant eat them anymore.  Im sure after a while I will miss them and the convenience of not having to check labels but for the moment I am just loving knowing what made me ill and how to avoid it.

Congratulations on your PB, a great run.

Snowmaiden ha ha I love your sheepishness! Well done on another great run looks like you have your work cut out trying to keep up with your mum tho!

Im thinking of going for a very short (2 mile off road) run tomorrow as long as I can be sure I will keep it slow and not add extra miles.

Have a good bank holiday everyone

• Toby and Poohbear well done todayimage. Toby looks like you had a good race. Have you got a 10k target?

Andrew - Well done today tooimage. I managed to sneak in just under 1:40 for a HM this year too. Injury struck and I did another last month and was 6 secs over but hoping to improve on this for next one in Sept.

GCE - Well done on Bewl Marathon. That is one tough course. 1 lap on a bike is bad enough, let alone 2 laps running. Hope it wasn't too muddy!

• Hi Jellygirl not a particular one every time i beat my PB just aim to try and beat the new one so i guess the next target for the 10k would be sub 45

• Toby that makes perfect sense. I did a 45:09 10k in March so hoping to go sub 45 in July. My previous PB was 46:30. I'll just have to keep up the interval sessions!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

8 miles I off-road this morning in 1:27:52.

• That's pretty much my exact 10k PB that I'm aiming to beat in the next few months jelly! My previous had always been 47+. But I'm hoping to get close to 42 mins.

• afternoon all

rest day today then my training plan for the Bristol H/M starts tomorrow the aim is to try and ues it to get my training pace down to 8:00 m/m pace by the time the race Happens in September

• evening all! Well I didn't go for a run today, the sun got up before I did and it was too hot to run and when it cooled in the evening I  decided going running the evening before a session with my personal trainer wouldn't be a clever idea. Had a lovely day resting though and now can't wait to get back to training tomorrow. All is good image