Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

After eating to much cake yesterday i went for a little 2 miler before work this morning then went for a 4 mile run with my daughter after work ...was a little warm, but after being stuck inside a pub for 4 hours watching people sitting in the sun with their drinks it was nice to get outside...

Toby and tillstar we all know that rest is just as important as the running but its something we overlook sometimes for fear of not having enough running/training behind us...rest makes you stronger, your muscles repair and your energised again to put in quality mileage without injury...

Toby did you drag me round the bristol 10km at 8.45 pace last year for my 55 min pb?? i cant imagine doing 8.00 min pace for double that ... ill have to get dragged around with you for a few miles at that pace to see how fast it is in real life...yikes..

• Options

Lovely rest day today enjoying afternoon cake in local park with friends and family for my eldest 3rd bday (it's actually tomorrow but he doesn't know any different and this way I get to spend all day with him before work tomorrow!) starting specific 10k training this week, got 4 races ned up before the end of June and I want to go sub 43 or better (previous PB is 45:12). So that means the start of dreaded interval training, boo hiss! Any suggestions for good sessions welcome.

hope everyone enjoyed the sun and long weekend image

• Options

andrew sorry can't help you I'm afraid as I've never done any interval training myself

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Andrew - I do 400m intervals after my marathons to get my speed back. You need at least 6 weeks to see results. I do a 1.5 mile warm and set my Garmin up for my intervals session. Last Thursday I did 6 x 400m intervals with 2 min recoveries followed by a 1.75 mile cool down. 

• Options

Andrew - Some of the sessions I do.

warmup 15 mins build pace, 4 x 800m @ faster than 5k pace 400m slow recovery, 2 miles @ 5k pace, 15 min cool down.

hill repeats - run up as hard as you can, jog down recovery, 

mile repeats - 3 x 1 mile (as fast as you can but able to maintain pace for all repeats).

If I don't feel like doing a whole interval session then I'll go out for a 40 min run and do 5 x 1 min surges just to get a little speed in my legs!

Good luck with sub 43! Let us know how you get on with your races. I'm just hoping for anything sub 45 at the moment. 

• Options

Tarcey G i have the for runner 305 would you know how to set this up for interval training

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Toby

Setting up intervals on Garmin 305

Click on Training

Click on Workouts

Click on Intervals

You then have 4 Options

Click on Distance and Rest Time

Click Enter on Distance and chose which distance you want or do custom. Then click enter on rest time and chose rest time. Now click enter on the number of reps you want 400m. The Garmin will add in the reps. There is a warm up and cool down tick box but I can't remember what but you press to start you intervals. Then click done.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Toby - I think after you've done your warm up its the lap button that starts your intervals. I've just been setting mine up after my warm up. Plus I can't wait for my cool down to finish to see my intervals.

• Options

thanks Tracey I'll have a ago at it tomorrow when i do my next 3 mile run

• Options

Woohoo notification emails are back image just finding the motivation to drive to the gym for my pt session lol

• Options

oh I'm glad I'm not he only one who wasn't getting them well should have done 3 miles to day but a miscalculation on my part and it turned into 9miles

• Options

That's some miscalculation Toby! image

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Toby did you get lost!! image

6 miles for me this evening in the sun, doesn't it feel nice just being able to run in the sun for a change.

• Options

i get the odd mail telling me there is a posting but not all the time but i look on here a few times a day anyway .... like the fact your so fit toby that  a 9 miler feels like 3 image ... rest day for me well apart from the usual dog walks and mowed the lawn went to work etc so we should just say a non running day today as we still do other stuff 

agree lisa running in the sun is lovely especially after being at work inside 

• Options

I wish I could have run outside tonight but having paid for a pt for a few months I feel obligated to follow his plan until I stop paying him or the money is wasted.  So it was indoor weights and interval training for me tonight.  Hard work but surprised myself by actually enjoying it.  Indoor Fartlek tomorrow, knowing my luck when i am able to run outside more the weather will have changed again and it wont be quite so appealing, still I live around some lovely countryside so even wet colder runs are fun.

• Options

Hi all.  Have signed up again this will be my third BM.  Missed out this year and wanted to do one nearer to home then got injured.  Just stared running again with three miles the first run i've been able to do to for two months.

Good to see some familiar faces (or avatars)

• Options

Jolyon welcome to the thread

• Options
    Nix10Nix10 ✭✭

Hi all,

Finally went to get my hip pain seen to following London (guilty of ignoring and hoped it would magically disappear!!) and ended up with a steroid injection in my trochanteric bursa last night! 
    Has anyone had this before?
    I was told no running, cycling, walking etc for 7 days, but forgot to ask if i can continue stretching, specifically my IT band or will that aggravate it??

very jealous of all the runners i keep seeing in the sun!

• Options

Hi jolyon, this is my first Brighton so ill take it as a good sign that your going back for your third!

Nix, that sounds very annoying, not to mention a little painful. I've no idea about the stretching I'm afraid. Thats really quick work by the docs tho to get you assessed and dealt with that quickly! Did you go private?

managed my first interval session for 10k training today. Warmed Up with a steady mile at 7.50 pace then ran 6 x 400m each in 1.40ish which is about 6:40min mile pace I think. With 200m slow jog recovery. amazingly I don't hate the idea of doing another session!

• Options

Evening All! Fartlek session for me tonight and I hated every second of it.  Still feeling shattered despite having a total rest week last week.  Should have been 5-8 reps just about managed 5 but it was painful.  I really am not liking Fartlek at the moement and would prefer to just build my mileage gradually at my own pace but PT says no, know its for the best but wish I could get my enjoyment back for running a bit more.  Hopefully Sundays LSR will be my reward.

• Options
    Nix10Nix10 ✭✭

Hi Andrew, yes went private...haven't got patience to wait image (plus have a health benefit at work where i can claim the treatment back, which is brill for things like this)...yes it was painful esp when the physio pressed right on the spot...nearly hit the roof!

• Options

Thinking ahead to next April. Seems travelodge will take reservations without payment upfront, although not further than 11 months in advance...

still very achy from Bewl last weekend, but looking forward to running again Saturday.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tillstar, although you are paying for your PT you know what your body needs. If you are hating the speed sessions and feeling so awful I would be honest with him/her and say that you want to concentrate on endurance rather then speed at the moment - remember you are paying them. The last thing you want to do is overtrain and get ill or an injury as a result - the old adage that gets thrown around frequently  'no pain , no gain' isn't always true especially if you want to avoid injury. I hope you don't mind me suggesting this but have a look at the Hadd training thread where people have had fantastic gains in speed from longer slower runs based on endurance rather then speed work - (sorry its the nurse, coming out in me image).

• Options

What's everybodies thoughts on running coaches /Pts. Not sure if Nixs comments excite or alarm me? Guess we all need a bit of discipline every know and then, but in line with Lisa comments, nobody knows your body like yourself?

• Options

Lisa123 Thanks for your advice I am going to speak to him today.  I dont think it has helped that due to cutting out the milk from my diet I have cut down on calories too much.  Have just realised that my diet of the last couple of weeks has been mainly porridge and a lot of vegetables. Although healthy its nowhere near enough for the running I am doing so I am going to sort that out too and add in some proper carbs and protein.  Lost 4lbs during my rest week which im not pleased about as although I need to lose it it was too much in one go.

GCE I would never have gone for a PT if it wasnt discounted due to an offer at my gym, and I dont know if I would given the option again.  He has been great for getting me to do strength and speedwork I have always ignored before and I find it easier to stick to a plan as when its just me I only have to justify a missed session to myself with him I have to justify my reasons to him too.  So I guess he is serving the purpose for which I signed up in that he is working on the bits I would ignore alone and he is getting me into a routine that I am sticking at for long enough for it to become a habit.  However I would love to be outside just running for the pleasure of it at the moment and doing what takes my fancy on the day be that a fast 5k or a longer slower 8 mile plod.  Whether I would stick to it as consistently though is something I wonder about...

• Options

Tillstarstarcan relate to the weight loss i join Weight Watchers back in October of last year i lost 6lbs the first week and by the end of December had gone from 13st 07lbs to 11st 6lbs a 2st weight loss and by the end of March was down to 10st

i was losing weight so fast the leader of the meeting leader of the meeting got concerned and actual told me to eat more this weight loss was a combination of cutting down the meal sizes and the amount of running i was doing

nutrition calculator  

• Options

Thanks Toby, I just used it and It calculated that I should be on 2140 calories a day, last 2 weeks have been about 900 a day - VERY stupid of me!! Im so pleased to have found out why running has become such a struggle and that I should be able to fix it relatively easily.  Its just a matter of finding healthy ways to fill the calorie gap which isnt actually as easy as I had thought image

• Options
    Nix10Nix10 ✭✭

Hi Tillstar...wow 900 calories that would definitely contribute to finding training tricky, but i know where you are coming from when you have to find ways to fill the gap....did your PT give you a diet plan?

I was considering consulting a sport nutritionist (has anyone done this or is it taking things a bit to seriously image) as i struggle a bit with ensuring i get enough calories...and through  concern of taking on too many i probably under cook it...

From the marathon training i have just done i lost over a stone...(not on purpose) i'm 5ft9" and now weigh 60.7kg....(female by the way!)...i think my weight is ok, but would find it easier if someone just told me what i should eat rather than me trying to analyse my diet vs my training!

Anyone got any tips/advice?

• Options

hi nix! yeah i must say it wasnt my cleverest moment! Took me ages to work out why running had become such a struggle.  No diet plan but he did tell me how many calories to aim for. still struggling to find ways of filling gap, troubke is i dont get hubgry and feels wrong to force myself to eat when i dont want it. Was supposed to have cut out fruit because it bloats me and my body cant deal with the sugar well but had to add it back in as i need the calories and would ratherget them from fruit than junk food. im female 5ft6 and 56kg ideally want to get to 51kg but i look ridiculous if i lose too much weight so if i dont lose the odd 5kg i wont mind kind of just wanting to fuel for running anf let the weight sort itself out. sorry no help on nutrition, my allergy lady more or less told me to cut out everything except porridge vegetables and sweet potatoe which wasnt exectly great advice when i had told her how much i run!

• Options

Yaaawwwwnnnn...................streeeeeeeeeeeeetchhhhhh......................urgggghh

Ok, about time I got my derriere into gear.  Have just registered for 2014 Brighton marathon,2014 Brighton half marathon and also Portsmouth Great South Run.  Makes me tired just thinking about it!

Now where did I put my running shoes on the evening of 14th April..............