Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Just did brighton as my first marathon - 4:10 with a toilet break and little walks in last five miles.

Definitely aiming for a sub 4 for 2014 (after saying never again!!!). Only been running a year so think its definitely possible to get around that time. 3:50 would be immense.

Won't enter London as brighton was just out of this world. The crowds, the views I just loved it image
  • Options

Thanks Tillstar, I was very happy with the time but even more that I finished well and my fastest mile of the race was the last one, covered 25 to 26.2 in 8:12

Oh, and the fact that the 2014 marathon will be my 40th birthday is a consideration too image

• Options

Lol, looking forward to next year. No special birthday to match up with this marathon but I have a pair of goals for it none the less, get down to under 10 stone and get a sub 6 hour time.

• Options

LouiseD - amazing time for your first marathon, you were hoping for sub 04:30 weren't you so you well and truly smashed your target image

• Options

Woohoo just signed up. Thanks Khanivore, I actually learnt that registration was open from seeing this thread. Like Khanivore I'm yet to do my first ( Edinburgh in May) but just whupped my HM pb and am feeling in a 'enter on sight' kind of mood. Not sure what my target'll be yet, I'm hoping it might be sub 3...

• Options

Couple of questions for the people in the know :

I haven't done a full marathon yet and am a bit long on the tooth, so not overly concerned with getting a really quick time. I have applied and failed 4 times for the London marathon, but will be applying again. To cover myself, I was thinking of applying for Brighton, but if by some miracle I get accepted for both, with them only being a couple of weeks away it would be impossible for me to do both. I think that you can defer London, but can this also be done for Brighton ? If so, do you need any proof such as injury or can you just refer after paying the fee ?

Bob

• Options
    I'm in. It will be my first marathon.

Will wait until nearer the event before I predict a target time.

Training starts tonight with a 6 mile tempo.

What sort of gels should I use?
  • Options

Skippy - you can defer Brighton but you have to pay the entry fee again.

• Options

i'm in after missing this year with shin splints. ran it in 2012 and loved it so looking forward to 2014!

• Options
    Lou Diamonds wrote (see)
    What sort of gels should I use?

any that a) you like the taste of, and b) don't make you puke or shit through the eye of a needle.

you need to try a few to find out what works best for you

• Options
    Barbie - yeah 04:30 was the original aim so was extremely pleased with 04:10 and a couple breaks!

Had the best day of my life and have the bug big time.

3:50-04:00 the new goal image
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Last year...5:27 and 3.5 hours for the 2nd half with two crumbling knees....this year...1:43 roughly for the first and 2nd halves for 3:26:23 overall and a small negative split!  image Will really need to think on entering it again next year....but for those of you who stayed at the Preston Park Travelodge like I did...one bit of advice on the rear car park...avoid it if you can even if they tell you that you can park there for free. My poor gf sratched the side of my car in attempting to get out of there the other day, simply no room to turn! Best parking on one of the side roads off Dyke Road if I am to do it again! Well done to everyone who also ran on Sunday!!!

• Options

Looking forward to next year's marathon.  Determined to get fitter and be able to run for more of the course.  Really want a finish time with a 5 in front of it, but would be happy with one with a 6.

Crowds were fantastic and kept us going throughout the whole course by shouting out our names, which we had printed on our running vests, and providing jelly babies and oranges.

• Options

well i've entered, but didn't get the cheaper first 2000 entry places image

Steady distance builds for the next few months before following a plan later in the year .......

• Options

I'm in- really missed not doing a spring marathon this year (got married instead) so really looking forward to doing Brighton again!!

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    WJH so you did your entire marathon in the time it took you to do the second half of your first marathon! Blimey - amazing!

Vik Congratz image
  • Options
    Louise D congrats on such a great time! And wow so looking forward to this now and to experience the atmosphere
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    WJH did you follow a particular training plan to get such a big improvement?
  • Options

Thanks toby for the heads up on this new thread for 2014.......im still on the 2013 thread as its still going strong...

Im in.. this will be my 4th brighton i didnt run it sunday as i wanted a winter off training to spend time with my children as ive ignored them the 3 winters before that ...image children i say actually old teenagers!!!

My best time was last year 4 hours 22 but id love a sub 4 hour so my training is starting now with a good base layer of core exercises and squats and lunges and lots of interval runs and hills.......have downloaded lots of different plans to mull over and see which one will best fit in with my life so that its achievable and your more likely to stick to it..

Oh and the reason i keep going back to brighton including the half marathon is the fact that the crowds are brilliant, its well organised, and i love it......also the children (teenagers) love the sweet shop on the corner of one of the lanes....oh and choccywoccydooodahh image....

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Hi Khanivore...thank you! image In a way my improvement has been largely due to training rather badly last time and being badly found out on the day so this year I just made sure I ran a much greater number of miles perhaps more over fear of a repeat more than anything! I peaked at about 50 a week before the taper which I did for two weeks. I also ran numerous Parkruns for top end stamina, 3 10k races, an 8 mile race near the start of the training in January and a half marathon in February. I also did speed work and tempo runs where I could and the occasional flat out 5k and 10k on the treadmill! A bit boring for some but equally it wasn't the main part of the training yet still works for me. In the weeks leading up to the longest runs, I generally did about 35-38 per week for a month or so before gradually increasing! Key sessions were a hard parkrun with 18 miles after this with miles 13-17 at marathon pace...this was easily the hardest session where I could hardly walk at the end...then a week later I did 20 at marathon pace as it ended up (7:51 per mile which directly compared to what I ran on the day). Then the last long run was 22 miles but with time on feet after the big effort over the previous two weeks (and being the day after the last 10k race in the build up). This also seemed to work as it was 3:25 in time compared to 3:26 on the day! Perhaps it was a bit flukey as I didn't follow a training plan as such, just tried to figure out what would work for me! Hope that gives a little bit of an idea!
  • Options
    Thanks tillstar

Got 4 people to sign up already - I should get commission!

It's just such an amazing day
  • Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I have signed up for this and am looking forward to it already. Hoping for a sub 4 hour but will decide early next year what my goal will be depending on how the training is going.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭

Signed up!  This will be my second marathon, first Brighton.  I ran 3.46 in Paris in 2009 so would love to get close to 3.30 but think it will be tough.  I'm crap at being consistent so if I manage to string a whole years decent training together that should get me in with a fighting chance.

Any reco's on accomm close to the finish?  Tackling the metro in Paris was agony afterwards!

• Options

premier inn is in town centre and you can book now and pay on arrival ive booked already for 3 nights 5th 6th and 7th .....parking can be expensive but they give you 25 percent off using the car park behind the hotel....food good especially breakfast on e sunday morning they open earlier too .....hope this helps

• Options
    Cool! I have booked the same hotel from the Friday to the Tuesday (its my holiday for the year and that way I have time to chill out before and after the race) may have to tag along with u on race day morning if that's ok Yvonne as have no idea how to get from there to the start and would be nice to say hello as by then I will have been chatting to you on and off for 2 years! image
  • Options
    Oops forgot to untick the notification thingy.

Good to see lots of early take up
  • Options

that will be good tillstar look forward to it ...normally you will find that a host of runners all walk up together and last year toby met me in reception along with around 10 of us and we walked up together ...its a nice way to get rid of nerves and warm up too ....i so missed it this year....cant wait till next april 

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    WJH you make it sound so easy image I've done no speed work. I have just followed a plan to get me through my first marathon (this coming Sunday) in 4 hours I hope. I wonder what I can achieve in Brighton next year by incorporating speed work. I plan to follow P&D 's plan.