Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Tillstar i find it lots easier to lose weight when im not exercising!!!! I get soooo hungry when i run especially in the morning that i find it hard not to over eat a tad hence this week i put on a few ounces!!

• Perfect running conditions for our run tonight a bit of drizzle to cool us off at the start then cloudy cool and dry while running with a nice cooling breeze ...mel the jack rabbit ran her first ever proper 10km in 51 mins and i did 56 mins which is faster than last year and alot faster than i expected so very happy with that ...

Mel was 9th in her catagory female senior and 173 out of 400

I was 14th in my catagory female supervet !!!! and 242 out of 400

We both had a celebratory mars bar from the tuck shop on the finish line and this year we were given a technical t shirt too

Now my bath has run and is awaiting my arrival!!!

•  no running for me yesterday had a rest day will have to get up a little earlier today to fit my run in before i go back to the dentist to have the second filling done

Yvonne well done on the time

• just looking at my stats for last nights run and considering last years 55:56  run for my pb at bristol after a winter of training for marathon i think yesterdays run was better as ive only been running again for a few months having had from last october off and not running until april this year

the course is first 3 miles down hill and last 3 back up the hill you ran down!!!

mile 1 8:58

mile 2 8:37

mile 3 8:54

mile 4 9:30

mile 5 9:39

mile 6 9:30

last .20 was on a 8:54pace

so overall pace was 9:09 which is the pace needed for my sub 4 hour at brighton next year !!!

oh and 52 seconds slower than my pb last year !!!

But im happy as a few weeks ago i was still on over 10 mim mile pace out running so all is coming together nicely

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Hi all, I did the 2012 Brighton Marathon and I've just signed up for the 2014 one. Last year was my first marathon and I did it in just over 6 hours, so I'm going to be training with the mindset to get under 5 hours this time. Can't wait to start properly training again!

• Welcome faya, im sure youll achieve the time you train for ..... ive done brighton from the first one 2010 but i never ran this year as i needed a winter off training having trained the last three winters but i did really miss it, which is why i signed up again for next year ...my children just knew that when i said no more marathons, they knew i would do another one (maybe more).....im hoping for a sub 4 hour time next year though which is why im training and running now until next april to get my pace up to what is required and also the stamina to run that pace for 26.2 miles image

• morning all

just 3 miles for me yesterday and to make shore i got them done it was get out of bed and straight out the door as i had the dentist later oh joy

Had have to have another go at a PB as i got my weight watcher leader into to this running lark she had never run before so back last January i gave the couch to 30 minute plan my Poohbear used when she started

my Leader ran the Bradly Stoke 10k last Sunday her first and is now on about taking me on for pace next year when she runs it again and she also going to enter the Bristol H/M next year

so i need to keep on top of my game

• Toby I think you are on top of your game ....

• Hi all I have entered for next year, one year off and back to it, good to see some familar names, hi toby and yvonne.

Well 20 miler later this afternoon and then a 20 miler in the morning.

take care and have a good weekend

• Hi c&I dad spen to .....nice to have you back on board I too had a year off from brighton but I'm all geared up and into training again hoping for a sub 4 this time ....are you training for an ultra with that back to back running going on there? 

• Hi all, last weekend I ran the Budweis Half Marathon (Czech Republic) in 1:53:38. This was far above my pb but it was a fine run in a beautiful city. I was very happy!

Yesterday I run a nearby mountain and covered 12k with 1000hm in 1:35:00, not too fast, but again a fine run.

take care, Franz

• Hi Spen great to see you back that is some serious mileage i've had ago at a couple of goes at a 20 miler but the furthest i done is a 17.5 so far i am hoping to do at least one 20 mile run a month if i can

i also want to do a few more 22's this time around as even with all the back to back runs i did this time as i was doing my LSR on the Friday then going out with the wife (Poohbear) on the Saturday i still struggled over the last 6 miles so want to get used to running for longer more often to see if that helps when it comes to Brighton next year mine you weather it happens is another matter

as i did say i was going to run with my daughter at Brighton next year but just want to ready just encase she doesn't run for any reason

• macemace ✭✭✭

I've just taken the plunge and signed up for this again.

Does anybody have any info on park and ride for the race, such as where it goes from, pirce and return times ? I've had a search around the web but can't find anything specifically for race day and the BM13 literature just seems to say that there would be a service for the 2013 race.

• Evening all

well got this month’s 20 mile run done but have to say i hit the wall at mile 13 and had a little walk and big time at just under 18 so i ended up run walking the last two the whole thing took me 3:18:18 with an Avg pace of 9:53 so a lot of work need there

• Just entered and sneaked in before midnight deadline tonight. Very excited about running Brighton again. I ran the inaugural marathon in 2010, so it seems right to go back after five years. I must remember not to book a hotel in a busy stag do area the night before - bad idea. Running a marathon on no sleep (!) made it an even harder slog than it should have been. Things I remember most - incredible support, camaraderie of other runners, last 200m and sight of Brighton Pier - looked like an oasis. Great event. 

• Anyone seen my Mojo? image

• Oh no green fairy did you untie it ??? Its probably wandered off to somewhere nice and hot and sunning itself on a tropical beach!!!

Seriously though i hope it flies back home to you soon!!!

Sometimes these mojos just need a holiday and when they are done they come back and everything is sorted ,i know mine buggared off but has returned and we are rubbing along nicely again!!

• Green Fairy I think you mojo may have gone on a holiday with mine which has been missing since the big hockey game.  Got told off on Thursday by the PT for not being able to remember when the last time I ran was, whoops!

With this in mind I set out this morning for what I, perhaps optimistically, hoped would be a gentle 10 miler at around 10 min mile pace. I didnt look at my Garmin as it was more important that I ran and didnt worry about trying to maintain the pace.  By 5 miles I had had enough and as I havent run for nearly 3 weeks I decided that was enough for today.

Was pleasantly surprised to get back to find instead of the 10 min miles I was aiming for they were all between 9 and 9.10 min miles and it didnt feel any harder than a normal run if i had had a few days (or more in this case) rest.

so it seems that all that sprinting around the hockey pitch has done wonders for my speed but its not all great.  This is my first marathon and I dont have a goal time I just want to finish. Not going to lie i would be estatic with a sub 430 but as long as i finish I wont care what the time was.  There is no way I will maintain 9 min miles for anywhere near long enough so after my PT (5 more weeks) im going to have to concentrate on longer slower miles as my endurance is the thing that needs work here - no point in me running faster if I cant maintain it.  Would love to do around 10 min miles for the whole course if i can work on the endurance.

• After all that marathon training in the cold my running mojo seems to have rebelled and developed into a warm weather loving one.  And we haven't had much of that since April.

Unfortunately my chocolate mojo is flourishing and taking full advantage of the present circumstances.

Luckily I still have my good looks and sense of humour.  Well one of those anywayimage

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Hi Green Fairy! I think I remember you from the 2012 Brighton marathon thread!

Tomorrow I'm starting my first long run for my training. It's only going to be an hours run, but I've only been doing 30 minute runs for a while now. I'm actually looking forward to the post run aches and hunger (I always go stupid hungry the day after a long run, my stomach sounds like it's trying to eat itself).

My first marathon I did a walk/run stratagy. I'd like to try to run it non stop this time. Anyone have any good tips to help with that? Or is it as simple as just running more?

• After having run my 10km on wednesday evening i felt a little muscle soreness and a slight strain in the inner thigh area on left leg so i rested but did some stretching for thursday and friday and went for a gentle 20 min run on treadmill yesterday i set speed to a gentle 5.5 mph and things felt ok ...ive got work until 3 today so i may go out for another gentle run outside when i get back....then back to the training stuff,will look to start doing a half marathon plan now ready for bristol in september although best enter it first!!! hopefully will do this coming week

Happy running to all

Green Fairy and Tillstar hope you get your mojos back very soon ......image

• Morning all

Green fairy my mojo is on the chocolate rush at the moment if fact I’ve had to ban the chocolate from the house to stop it putting on all the weight it lost

Tillstar hope the running Mojo comes back as where’re really looking forward to meeting you next year although they do say a change is as good as a rest and when the hockey seasons ends you may be up for the running more

Yvonne hope the legs are ok and it nothing serious

• Thanks toby, i dont think its serious just ran as fast as my little legs and lungs would allow on the 10km so at least i know i tried 100%....will go for a little recovery bimble again after ive drank my tea ,well ill give it an hour to unwind after work first...

• Does anyone know of any autumn half marathons in the south east (Kent, sussex, south London) that are reasonably flat and have a field of at least 1000 ? I am thinking of Tonbridge in September, but would like to know what other options are about

• skippys right leg if your not worried about a pb what about the bacchus marathon in surrey its a 2 lap course but its not flat...oh and fancy dress is prefered and you get to taste wine and beer on the way round and a bbq at the finish...its sept 8th

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

I just looked up that race, yvonne 2, if I'm ready to run a half by September then I think I'd consider that one, and I don't even like wine!

• Faya i was going to do the bacchus marathon this year but there are other races i would like to do just after it and i cant risk not being recovered but its definately on my to do list for next year and i do drink wine but only 1 glass after that im giddy!! and i wont be drinking it going round thats for sure but it does look fun with fancy dress being encouraged......im still tempted to do the half this year but its a week before bristol half and im trying for a pb on that one as its fast and flat!!

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Hello all thought that I would pop by to see how everyone is getting on.

Yvonne huge well done on your recent 10k and your consistency with pacing - this is more important then a PB sometimes. 

Tillstar, your running mojo won't be very far away. Your body just needed the rest and recovery after your mammoth hockey game - and as you have already found out you can sill get out there and run at a good pace. Think of your hockey game as running a marathon you have a 3 week taper first as preparation for the big day, and should have a very gently 5 weeks afterwards to fully allow your body to recover and make the neceassary adaptions otherwise you risk injury. You will be back to your running regularly in no time image

Toby - well done on keeping up your mileage - you are indeed a running machine!

Faya hello image

Skippy have you thought about the Barnes Green HM - I was going to run this as it is local to me, however it is the week before I run the Chester Marathon. I will probably be running Henfield HM instead, although this is at the end of August?

Me, well I am now 3 weeks into my marathon training which is going well, and I have at last joined a running club - it has taken me ages to decide on which one. My local one was full of really fast runners and although they were friendly I just felt completely intimidated. I then tried another (on a couple of occassions) who weren't so friendly and inclusive, then another who were really friendly but lacked structure and finally the one I have now joined - fingers crossed it works well. In 3 weeks I have my next race - a 15 mile trial race, first race at this distance and I will be wearing a club vest so I hope that I don't fall flat on my face image

• Morning All

Nice to read that everyone is fine into marathon training! The tune at runers world UK is more friendlier than at the German version. I like this.

I did a 12 miler yeasterday at 9:00/mi. It is getting terribly hot here in Austria with around 36 Centigrade Celsius and I do not know wheather I can run the comming days.

Take care

• Hi Yvonne2, yes training for an ultra, on 2nd August 2013, it is a 100 miler and a time limit of 26 hours or you get disqualified, they also do a 40 and 70 miler.

Toby - you are still doing great Mr Speedy, yes some serious mileage at the moment, not doing an ultra next year going to try and get a sub 4hr marathon, got Brighton in April, will probably do MK in May and if they do it again Pitsford in March, also applied for London so may have 4 in 3 months.

Hi to everyone else