Options

Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Good Luck Yvonne image  Have a nice run guys.  9 miles for me averaged 9.17 pace so im happy enough with that

• Options

Have just got back from running with Mr Toby...

We ran parts of the half marathon course in the city centre and up the portway under that lovely suspension bridge (note to self stop gawping at the bridge and how high it is and run faster!!!) My plan was for an 8 miler 4 at HMP and 4 easy we did just under 9 miles with an average time of 9.13 (according to my garmin ) Tobys said different!! Still need to run faster to get my sub 2 hour ...i havnt been running with gels or sugared sports drinks so i think now is the time to start experimenting as i find i start to get tired from mile 6 and then get a spurt again at 10 miles ...so i need to keep the energy levels up to get me through the dips..i know i can run a sub 2 hour as i did it at brighton in 2012 but the time never stood cos of the balls up on the course....

Toby has given me some advice on my plan, as i took it with me to see if there were any improvements i could make for faster running , i have 2 runs during the week that are only 20 to 30 mins long so im to go balls out on those and try and run at a 8:? pace but faster than 9 min mile pace ......also my midweek run of 40 to 50 mins try and run that at around the 9 min mile pace ....keep my long run as it says either easy or at HMP......so with 5 weeks to go its balls out....yee ha !!!

Note to toby, my legs hurt though, now ill need a little 2 mile dog walk to loosen up!!! I also need to do more work on my hamstrings as i felt they were letting me down and i didnt have much strength in them today.....so lots of positives from today which is only a good thing!!!

Tillstar your running is coming along nicely too eh image

• Options

Heres the geeky stuff from my garmin image

Elapsed time 1:22:17... actual moving time was 1:21:54

Mile 1....8.43  best pace 6.39

Mile 2....8.52  best pace 6.21

Mile 3....8.55  best pace 5.31

Mile 4....9.17 but moving time was 8.59 (stopped for lights) best pace 6.00

Mile 5....9.16  best pace 7.38

Mile 6....9.22 best pace 7.51

Mile 7....9.21 best pace 8.24

Mile 8....9.35 best pace 8.17

Mile 9....9.42 best pace 8.17

Total miles 8.92

Moving time pace 9.11

Elapsed time pace 9.13

• Options

Yvonne sorry about your legs hope they get better soon glad you got some positives out of yesterday i have every confidence that your get your sub 2 this year as i said yesterday you only need to run a little faster than you are now and by training at that pace your body will get used to it and it will become the norm

• Options

Well done Yvonne some great times there great to see your hard work is paying off. Listen to Toby and you will definitely get your goal image

Thanks I'm pleased with the way my running is progressing. This week makes it 4 weeks i have stuck to the plan done every session and eaten clean. It's clear to see it works. I think having a running buddy helps. When there are two of you going for the goal it makes it impossible to skip a session as its not just you that gets let down. 

Happy running everyone 

• Options

Toby dont apologise for my legs its good for them to feel stiff it means i know i put in a little effort even if it wasnt balls out!!! They feel ok now ive had 4 dog walks since our run yesterday totalling 8 miles!!

Todays run was one of those 20 min jobs stating last 5 mins at HMP as it was sandwiched between 2 hard runs,yesterdays and then tomorrows run is a 50 min interval..so i compromised and ran the first 10 mins at 6mph and the next 10 mins at 7mph....actually felt ok, although it might have been the fact we have been to a picnic where lots of cake was on offer and i also won a kit kat chunky not having had choclate in a while and i think the carbo load image of cake and chocolate had an effect ha ha

Tillstar your right though when you say that running with someone else gives you impetus to train well i do miss not having anyone to train with...thats why i enjoy it when toby and poohbear come down or i go to them to run..

• Options

morning all

Tillstar I’m glad the running coming along and your right it is nice to have someone to run with i found that this year when running with Poohbear and the couple of runs we did with Snowmaiden were hoping to make running with both Yvonne and Snowmaiden a more regular thing this year in fact were off to Yvonne’s in a couple of weeks and were going to try to go up to Leicester at least once a month to run with Snowmaiden

Yvonne glad the legs are Ok now sounds like a good plan the feeling mutual we always enjoy coming up to visit you

• Options

Hi Yvonne,following your advice i did no runs the last three days. I did not even try to cross train, because at 37 degree any cross training becomes a torture. Only Yoga. Today I will do 8mi at 130bpm heart rate (temperature still 31 degrees).

I did my first sub 2 hours half around two years ago after 8 weeks preparation. Today I am at 1:47. Breaking the 2:00 was easy done by chance - I ran a "winter race" without a clock and at the finish line I saw 1:58. This is the best way to run a PB. No thinking about running - just do it.

In my experence the tiredness at mile six cannot be overcome with eating carbs or gels. The carbs your bod has in its store are enough for at least 36km! I strongly suppose that you are running above your lactate threshold. Normally tiredness sets in when the muscles are accumulating lactate acid. The worsening of your pace could be a sign that the speed is above your limits. How many miles are you doing per week?

In my opinion there is no substitute to logging miles. Before I hit the 2:00 for the half and the 4:15 for the whole I did no tempo runs or speedwork. I am over 50 and I had simply not enough power to do it in good quality.

All the best and lots of fun!

• Options

Well 10 miles for me today the whole run took 1:26:16 with an Avg pace of 8:28

• Options

I ran the the 8miler on a hilly course with a heart rate of 133. The sun was brutal when I had to run against it. Today it is even hotter, around 34 degrees and I do just a 4mi recovery, at 125 bpm followed by a Yoga session.

@ yvonne: hi yvonne, hope your legs have recovered - not only your legs. the mind as well! I was at the doctors this morning because I have to take drugs against my high blood pressure and my colesterol level. He said that one of the drugs makes sore legs as side-effect. I take this drugs since I am running and was very surprisesed by this news. He gave me some other recently developed drugs which are said not to have this side-effect. I shall try it for 3 months. Are you taking some drugs regularly? Could your tiredness at mile six be caused by it?

Besides that, I have remembered some other good reason against taking carbs on medium and long training runs. These runs are made to learn your body to burn fat instead of carbs. If you take carbs during the runs, your body will burn it because it is easier to burn carbs than fat. But you need the fat burning for the marathon distance because even when your liver and your blood and your muscles are full of carbs to the maximum the stores will be empty around 36k. Therefore the earlier in the run the body will start burning fat which is stored in excess, the longer and better you can run!

Take care

Franz

• Options

Morning all

well must get out for a run today had every intention of doing one yesterday but got watching Doctor Who with my son so it never happened

• Options

Toby you deservered a rest day yesterday after your 10 miler the day before....was a rest day for me yesterday and todays run is an undulating 40 mins ...

Franz im not on any medication but i do take vitamin c and flaxseed oil for my omega oils..

Both you and toby dont seem to do any interval runs and just go and run ...me i do intervals and threshold running long runs and steady runs ....according to the article i read in my running fitness magazine (can highly recommend, a read a good mag) running is like baking a cake and the base layer before any icing is lots of miles of steady running...not slow running or balls out running just steady......at the moment my weekly milage for my half marathon training is around 25 -30 miles plus strength training ,stretching and foam rolling!!! Its a juggling nightmare trying to fit it all in around work and walking my dogs but its doable

• Options

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted on here, but the heat had been taking its toll on my pace and not a lot to report.

However, this morning I got up early and out the door by 7am and completed 5k in 32.04 mins, which is the quickest I have completed this distance ever, averaging 10.19min miles.  It was nice to be able to enjoy running again as it was beginning to feel like a hard slog.

• Options

Well done Poohbear that's awesome running imageimage

• Options

Poohbear, woop woop!! well done you ...like you i cant do the running in the heat ...i went out this morning at 8.30 was lovely and cool and cloudy ...ran 4 miles in 36.10 and that was on an undulating course too so was well happy just hope its cold and cloudy on the 15th september !!

• Options

5 miles for me tonight.  Having a week of running for the enjoyment and not working to any particular pace to remember why i love running but still get the mileage in.  averaged 9.17 so not the slow plod i intended but it was a really nice run so im happy

• Options

Just analysed my garmin from my run this morning and pleased to report average pace was 9.03 woop woop !!

Total miles clocked today have been a half marathon....dog walk at 7.30 total miles 2....run at 8.30 total miles 4......dog walk pm total miles 2....bike ride at 8.55!!! total miles 5.3....total miles for today 13.3...my a*se will be sore tomorrow first time on a bike for ages!!!

Rest day tomorrow, just the dvd from hell to do which believe me makes me sweat with plank jacks and walk out push ups static squats and lundges with arm weights at same time!! etc...oh and miles of dog walks i do walk them 4-6 miles every day....

right bedtime for me im pooped!!!

happy running everyone..

• Options

Morning all

just 6 miles for me yesterday no idea how long it took as i deliberately  left my Garmin at home some fast running going on well done Poohbear ,Yvonne and Tillsart on some great times

• Options

Hi yvonne!

30mi/wek for the half seems perfect to me! From your posts I have the impression that you are doing too much. Sports should be fun - not a struggling nightmare!

I admit that for me it is easy to make such a statement because mother nature forces me to take it easy this summer!. Yesterday we had a new all-time high with 40.6 degrees and I did not make ay move since Wednesday.

I have tried to do some cross training last year, but I did not like it. The only thing I add to my running schedule is Yoga and buddhistic medidation. Yoga is good for my mobility and medidation is good when things are going though during a run.

And yes, logging miles is the basics for all running. The older you are the more miles you have to log. I am 55 and currently I log around 2000mi/year. I started from the scratch in September 2009 and did my first sub 2 half in February 2011. April 2012 I did my first full marathon sub 4.

My advice: dont push, let it flow!

Weather permitting I try to restart today evening with a 4mi recovery run and tomorrow 18-20mi long.

Have a nice weekend!

• Options

this time last week I was 7 hours into my ultra, this week working, guess which is preferable. managed 3 miles this morning but the legs are still shot.

take care everyone and have a great weekend

• Options

Hi spen nice to hear from you ....well done on your ultra ....how many hours all together did you do?

I've just done my long run for the week a 2 hour run off road easy .....have to say kept a constant pace throughout of between 6:10 and 6:20 average pace was 6:15 and completed 12:28 miles so well happy with that didn't feel tired didn't have a lull in energy not sure if it was to do with the fact I  was drinking a super go longer and stronger energy drink for champions no less !!!! Lucozade to you and me the new one with jenson button on the bottle can highly recommend the something and mango one very tasty ...

Had a banana and blue berry smoothie as soon as I got in all homemade of course now off for a shower and stretch ..

• Options

Evening all

Well that’s the 20 miler for this month done managed to run it all this time took me 3:10:57 with and Avg pace of 9:25 so not bad

• Options

Hello all

Toby - great pace and 20 milers already, wow well doneimage

Yvonne - fantastic running from you....and dvd from hell! Is it similar to the30 day shred?

Poohbear - well done..nothing wrong with that pace!image

Tillstar - sounds like a good plan..it is all about the enjoymentimage

Spen - respect on completing the Ultra...well doneimage

Franz - I hope the temperature has dropped a bit!

Sorry I haven't been here much, like many of you it seems, I have been struggling with the heat and some nigglesimage Asthma hasn't been too good in this weather and I have Lupus too which doesn't do well in the sun! I have managed some short runs and this morning did an LSR of 9 miles in 1hour41mins, slow by most standards on here but good for meimage Hope to keep on building the mileage now ready for Cardiff HM in October!

• Options

Madwelshwoman, i did laugh when i saw your comment of "is it similar to the 30 day shred" refering to my dvd from hell ...YES IT IS THE 30 DAY SHRED...i love it really, its just i plan to do it every other day then dont do it for weeks then when i do it it feels like ive been hit by a train the next day ...it looks soooo easy but it leaves me sweating !!!

Toby well done on your 20 miler ,after the half marathons im gonna start ramping the mileage up ,middle of october onwards..

Well took my heart rate monitor in for a new battery today so will take my resting heart rate in the morning and hope to start training with that to on some runs ....how do most people get their max heart rate as ive heard that the 220 minus your age for us fit peopleimage is inaccurate ....do most people just run balls out for a few mins and get it from that ?? Or is there another scientific way ? suggestions welcome please thank you ..

And it did feel good not getting up for a long run today as i did it yesterday...have a recovery run today so may gear up the HRM at a guestimate for that ...have to re read the instructions first though its been so long since i used it ..

• Options
    john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Hi Richard, I live in Brighton, but don't have any particular insight to a hotels as I never need one here. Feel free to message me if I can help.

I just tried http://www.visitbrighton.com/accommodation and got some results, the cheapest was £150 for 2 people 2 nights, it depends what your price range is.

Lots of (Brighton) hotels will only take bookings for 2 nights at weekends, I got 1 result when I tried Sat night only and 8 for 2 nights.

Other than that all I can suggest is Google and make lots of phone calls.  

• Options

Richard  have you tried the travel lodge

• Options

Morning All,

temperature has dropped by 10 degrees, but that means it has still 28 degrees. I run a 18miler at 27 degrees, very hummid conditions and I was crusted with salt after 10 miles into the run. Yesterday I was very tired and my neck was burning from the brutal sun.

Today I will try to run faster, 5k warm up - 6k half marathon pace - 5k cool down. Still a walk at a thin line at these temperatures.

• Options

Afternoon all

well 10 miles for me today the whole thing took 1:26:20 don't know about pace as I've had to send my Garmin back for repair sent it today they say it will be 10 to 14 days but probable be quicker so let hope there right

• Options

@yvonne: to get your max heart rate you have to run 4 very hard intervalls (if possible uphill) of around 1 mile balls totally out, short breaks between. After the fourth intervall you should have a good number. Do not forgett to warm up before the test.

The best measurement of max. heartrate is to do it in a laboratory. The doctors put you on a mill that is going faster and faster in 3-minute steps. The heart rate is measured continually, the blood pressure and the lactate acid level are meassured after each step. This is high class measurement. For me it is absolutely necessary to do such tests regularly because of the drugs I have to take, The blood pressure drugs do also influence the heart rate. The heart rate at each step combined with the level of lactate acid gives me a clear picture how fast I have to run my training runs.

The 220 minus age gives you only a very rough estimation because each runner has its owm individual factors.

My running: yesterday at 28 degress the fast second lap done with 8:11/mi. Heart rate was not sufficient, at least 10 beats too low. I have to run the tempo runs at a harder pace. Next run tomorrow medium long 20k, shold be cooler around 25 degrees.

Keep on running.

• Options

managed 5 miles this morning at 8.45m/m pace not bad but can still feel the ultra in my legs, but enjoyed just running at a pace that felt good, I go on holiday friday for two weeks to france so looking at getting some running done there, hopefully in the hills.

take care everyone