Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Afternoon all

Haven’t decided what to do today it’s a tossup between  a 5 mile run and a gym session in the garage after the gym session with my wife’s PT i do know i need to work on my upper body strength so i suppose i should get on the weight bench in the garage  

Franz glad to read the running’s going well i have to say i don’t use the heart ratr monitor that came with my Garmin were much perhaps i  need to start

Spen have a great holiday

• Toby - thanks for that just got today and tomorrow at work to get through, got my marathons for next year sorted, Pitsford march, Brighton April and then Milton Keynes in May, pitsford has the option of Saturday and Sunday so will probably do the double

take care everyone and keep up the good work, this is base building time

• Hi All,

Signed up a few weeks ago, with the idea that I can break my PB (3:29), which I set in my 1st marathon, when I was 23. I'll be 46 next week, so there's lots of work to do. Have starting training this week, aiming to get some speed and a sub-45 10k under my belt. 

• Morning all

Had a rest day yesterday but must get a run in today even if it's just a 3 mile recovery run on the treadmill

• I have to recommend this for anyone who may be having trouble with their Garmin

i have a 305 forerunner  which has i must say done valiant service over the time I’ve had it but last week the one of the buttons went causing it to flick between screens so i need someone to repair it as the cheapest  one i could find was £139 someone recommend that i got in touch with Garmin

this i did and was told to send it to them i sent it to them on Monday of this week and the refurbished one which i have to say look like brand new one arrive today so that’s a 4 day turn around so with the postage of £6 cause i sent it next day delivery and the cost of the replacement £58.50 it cost me £64.50 a saving off £74.50

• 10 miles for me today in the end note to self do not listen to son when he says it's cold out i sweated my ****** off

• Hi everyone,

Wednesday was fun-day, all parts were working together, the 12.5mi were done in 8:48 with a heart rate of 135bpm. Better than my current marathon pace.

Tomorrow it will be worse, scheduled is a 17miler with 10mi marathon race pace. The heat will make it hard running. Sunday is said to be the last day with temperatures above 30degrees. God thanks!

@yvonne: your question about max. heart rate has guided me to the idea to step into a coached preparation for the BM. I have contacted the institute about cost and duration. I will let you know.

Have nice runs on the weekend!

• Well i think im back to normal.....im afraid to say that the little alcohol poisoning last sunday took its toll on me up until wednesday.....not that i had a hangover or anything i just felt lethargic and my tummy didnt feel right ....ive vowed never to accept shots off of anyone again, ill stick to just 2 glasses of wine like normal or 1 pint of lager ....bloody birthdays!!!

Id done all my runs up until sunday morning anyway including the 50 min interval on that sunday morning....id planned monday as a rest day being my birthday its just that tuesday turned into a rest day from running too although i did walk 10 miles with the dogs!!! (over 3 walks that is) wednesday i did a 40 min fartleck run on the treadmill (plus miles of dog walking) yesterday dvd and dog walks and today i ran 9.5 miles!!! 9.45 min mile pace...will do a recovery run tomorrow and i may try another long run sunday with some HMP in it...right im off for doggy walks now ...

Franz i dont envy you with temps still hot for running...i had drizzle today and it was fabulous!!! I still havnt made it out with my HRM on yet will set it up and try running with it tomorrow

Toby dont let the cloud and drizzle fool you its still warm out there ....good running from you as always ..

• Hi yvonne/Toby, what is the current temperature in England?

• Franz the temperature here in my little part of the uk (south west) was 23 degrees today although it has only been 18 -20 degrees lately ,today has been the warmest for a little while....weve had lots of rain showers too...

• Evening all

Well left my run late today as i only intended to do a short run today the idea was to run up to where Poohbear works to surprise her and get a lift home as it turned out i was the one that ended up being surprised as i almost got to where she works only to get a phone call from here to say that she had left early to go to the doctors and was at home

So I had to turn around and come home again so in the end ended up doing 10 miles at least the new Garmin got a good workout

Franz the temperature has drop considerable over here and it’s a lot more pleasant for running

• Toby lol lol lol that is classic....oh my tummy hurts im laughing soooo much ...

• Thanks for that toby I've just put in my age and stuff and heart rate should be between 104 and 139 bpm...I'll give it a whirl between those two numbers and see how I feel at the upper end ....

Why does gardening feel like you've been hit by a train? I've given my garden a make over this weekend as well as running and dog walking I've dug out 8 holes 20inch square for paving slabs to sit into so it's flush with the grass ,as my path was non existent as I took the old one up two years ago due to it being a trip hazard I did put little steps down but the grass ended up as mud...anyway one new path down ....all fencing painted and wooden border edging stuff and raised bed painted ...edging border moved prior to painting it to bring it out level with raised bed and then all landscaped with bark chipping stuff now looking nice with potted strawberry plants and pansys and violas hanging baskets done to with same flowers ...New bargain bistro set sits on patio which had weeds removed from and bench that was wobbly now oiled ,screws tightened and also painted ...metal table that was just lingering now clean and next to 're vamped bench in New spot by fence with bench ...I'm sure I've forgotten something !!! 

Back to work tomorrow had a nice week off gone too quickly as always ...

• Wow you have been busy you can come and do mine next if you like

• afternoon all

Perfect running conditions today 10 miles down in 1:27:33 which is an Avg pace of 8:35 m/m

• 45 min interval run for me today that included 5 x 3 mins tough with 2 min recovery 5 miles, just over ,done !!!

Went back to work today too after a week off even though it's nutty to say but sometimes I like routine !!! 

Another good run toby 

Tillstar hope your running is still going strong 

Franz hope the temperature is a little more bearable for running 

• PT had us doing interval training today, running up a steep incline and then walking quickly back down 5 times.  Hard going as he made us all do it at a reasonable pace rather than the slow jog I normally do up inclines.

• I had that marathon pace run at 31degrees an it worked well with 8:36m.i All in it was 17mi heart rate max 141bpm. There is still room to run faster. At the marathon my average heart rate should be 146bpm.

Yesterday 5mi recovery run temperature still 31degrees. Today 12.5mi medium long, heart rate should be around 130bpm. Temperature has dropped significantely after a heavy rain and should be around 24degrees for the evening run but is said to increasee again from tomorrow.

poohbear: hill intervalls are very good for strong legs!

Keep on running

• spent an hour in the gym today did a mix of weights and gym

• may just do a little 3 miler today that’s if i can be bothered to get of my bum and get out the door

• had a rest day yesterday must get out for a run today

• Oh toby you missed the opportunity of connect 4 image

I had a rest day yesterday too although was suppose to do a 40 min run but just had too much to do and was late from work doing overtime  so today it will have to be done ...

• well 10 miles for me today not the quickest I've done it in at 1:34:38 but it was a combination of a hard night at work and the temperature has gone up again making it far too hot to go flat out

• 40 min run done and dusted turned it into my fave fartleck training run never going below 6 mph for the easy pace and up to 7:5 mph for the sweaty bits ...agree with you toby weather hotter again today 

• Hi everyone - in the Eastern part of Austria the Summer is definitely fading away and temperatures will stay between 20 and 25 degrees for the next days. This means back to normal conditions after 7 weeks! My garden is nearly completely ruined by the heat and the lack of water. I will leave it and see what is growing again in Spring.

Today I fond out that my gym went bancrupt and the 6-month fee that I had paid in advance is lost image hmmm, grrrr!

The postman delivered the two Brighton marathon Training Tees (one short and one long sleeve) which improved my mood a bit. Nice stuff, but on the front you can read "06:04:14" which of course means the date, but most people ask me if that is the time I am training for!

Running is quite well and tomorrow I will log 20mi.

Nice Weekend!

• Franz sorry to hear you lost your gym payment I think I would be more than a little gggrrr myself too ...glad the heat has abated too ,I find the sun makes you very tired too ...

Have toby and poohbear coming down tomorrow for a run a lovely 2 hour training run for the Bristol half on the 15th September I can't believe it's nearly here already it seems like yesterday I looked and drew up my 12 week plan!!!! 

• morning all

well of to Yvonnes in minute no long run yesterday as i CBA to do one afte the week at wok I've had and knew we wereof up Yvonnes today

• Had a lovely run on Saturday when toby and poohbear came down ....covered 11 miles .....and after had lunch and a nice chat and catch up ....Will be off to stay with them for the Bristol half marathon in just under 3 weeks time !!! Then they will come and stay with me for cricklade and swindon half  marathons a few weeks later ....although toby wad talking about doing another either between Bristol and cricklade or after Swindon I have mailed him some suggestions ..image

Off for a little trot myself now while dinners is cooking ....a little treadmill blast I think 

Hope everyone is keeping well and running is going to plan

• Thanks yvonne, Summer is over in Austria and the 20miler was 100per cent fun. Yesterday I ran 17k on a hilly course, pace was 5:36/k. Tomorrow my first speedwork in this training cycle with 5x1000m emdedded in a 16k run. I will try to go for 4:30/1000m. After the heat I feel the strenght in my body and this is fun!

My I ask you for your motivation to run such lot of races within that short time? After each half marathon race you need 10 days to fully reccover. If you run three halfs at race pace within a few weks, these weeks are lost for serious training. Rule of thumb is that for 2k in a race you will need 1 day to recover. 21k are 10 days th recover. Full Marathon (42k) means 3 weeks to recover.

In the current training cycle I have just two races, one 5k and one half (besides the target race in Lucerne). Too much racing destroys the rhythm of my training plan. Each year is divided in two big cyles with one big race like the Lucerne or the Brighton Marathon. Each big cycle is divided into 5 medium cycles (basic runs - adding longer runs - adding faster runs - taper with race - recovery). Each medium cycle is divided into mini cycles that last one week each. The overal rythm is 3-1, that means three weeks hard are followed by one week recovery. This gives your body and mind a clear structure with no excuses.

But I admit that during the time I wanted to run sub 2 I did also too much racing.

Keep on running!