Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• This is a lovely event.  Just logged on to pay and they want £65.00 - wow, it also makes me grumble a little that I have to choose a charity.  I don't want my details passed on.  

Sure my happy side will reappear, and I will just pay image

• Yeah I found the compulsory charity bit a little odd on the form - I am running for charity but not one of those listed so would prefer an option to leave that blank. I pre entered at the exbo so got in for ??40 but it did cost me train fare of ??50 to get there to do that so effectively your entry is cheaper image

Just started with a personal trainer - got a fartlek session tonight. He is making me do lots of speed work. Something I have known I should do but have preferred to ignore lol! Hoping it all pays off next year and in the races I have in between image
  • Morning all

Well were all recovering slowly? and having a nice relaxing time here in Brighton i may well venture out for a run today weather permitting as it seems a shame not to take advantage of being able to run by the sea but will see how i feel

were here till Friday when we make our way home have decided next year to go for a sub 3:30:00 to give me something to aim for but if anything happens to stop Poohbear or Snow maiden running will just run with who’s ever left to keep them company

will follow the same training plan as this year which was 4 runs a week of my own and then going out with Poobear on the Saturday to keep her company the mileage this year peeked at a 73 mile week and i did a lot more 20 mile runs than i have done in the past plus the 3st weight loss helped immensely

But  as i struggled to maintain the pace over the last 5 miles may up the long runs and stick in a few more 22’s but this is all hypothetical at the moment so we will see if it pans out  

keep posting everyone as we try to keep the thread going all year look forward to hearing how the trainings going when it really begins in about December

Yvonne if you want to go out for a training run any time over the next year let us know both me and will be more than happy to come up will see if we can’t get you that sub 4

• I wasn't going to do so, but I have! I'm in for 2014, just secured my place. It will be marathon #10 for me...
  • Looking forward to having your input on the forum GCE - Did you really think you would have been able to resist entering again?! image

• I'm in, might double up with London as got GFA and they are two weeks apart next year - Brighton will be main race though, will run London for "fun".

• Glad to see so many forumites signing up again.

GCE: You're as addicted as the rest of us. image

• Ok, I'm in. I said I wouldn't, but I have. Think this is my 7th marathon - only 93 to go until I can get the famous vest... image

• I'm in. This will be my first marathon, I just hope I can get there. I particularly want to do Brighton as it was home to me for a long time. I just hope the knee holds out......

• Not for me in 2014, but perhaps in the future. Good luck to you all, I will drop in on the thread from time to time to see how everyone is getting on.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Hi salisburylad, there is always the neolithic marathon from Avebury to Stonehengeimage
  • Hi Sailsbury lad, hope you are recovering well.  Glad to hear you will still drop by the thread to keep in touch

• Right, I'm in - And this year I promise that I'm going to stick to a training plan. I know I've got a 3:30 in there somewhere!

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Race time prediction...  for me.  3:44:48

Copy that, add your own, and see where you are next April.

• Hi everyone. After following some of the 2013 thread and reading the support you give each other, I've paid for my deferred place for next year. Having secured a ballot place for London this year and deferring that too through injury, I've chosen Brighton for 2014 as less congestion and lots of positive feedback. I was on course for a 3:30 marathon this year so my target is 3:30 - 4hrs, providing my injury clears off soon!

My mistake is to do my long runs too fast so I will learn to slow down
  • Jellygirl thanks for the warning re pace on long runs

• Tillstar - I had a personal trainer for a while and my running form improved as did my speedwork!

Too many long runs at too fast a pace are disastrous as I'm now finding out. I did a 20 mile race in Mar faster than MP which I'm now regretting. 1 min/mile slower than MP is now my aim for my long runs to get the distance in my legs and leave the speedwork to the shorter sessions and 10k races
  • Of course I'll be back for 2014. It'll be my third Brighton marathon.

Had a terrible year running wise so will be looking to get back on track for next year.

Bit gutted its a week ahead of the previous years, purely based on our ever changing (for the worse) weather system.

• literatin wrote (see)

I'm a bit tempted because it's on my birthday. But London is cheaper.

London may be cheaper, but  more chance of getting in brighton

• Must admit that concerns me as well. Especally considering the weather this year. 4th of April this year I was still wearing three or four layers when I went out on my long runs. Here's hoping that it's not that bad this time next year.

• DF3: Giving myself a couple of weeks to recover from the Marathon and rest up my ankle and then I'll be starting the training again.

• been out today for my first post Brighton run did 8 miles along the sea front made a nice change to be able to enjoy the view as it's the last part of the course i  don't usually have time to take it in

• Thanks Jellygirl my speedwork and form need work so its good to know it will help that.  Fell like i only ever slow plod at the moment and if anything I feel like I am getting slower I want to get back to the faster times I was doing about a year ago

• Signed up for 2014 also. First run tonight after Sunday (4:06) but aiming for 3:45 next year. Good to see some of you there last Sunday. Brighton is local so trying to keep on race calendar. Will still try for VLM but not holding out much hope of getting through ballot. Will probably also register for Surrey Spitfire 20 - nice little March warm up and good feel to the event.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    hope to... wrote (see)

This is a lovely event.  Just logged on to pay and they want £65.00 - wow, it also makes me grumble a little that I have to choose a charity.  I don't want my details passed on.  

Sure my happy side will reappear, and I will just pay image

Khanivore wrote (see)
    WJH you make it sound so easy image I've done no speed work. I have just followed a plan to get me through my first marathon (this coming Sunday) in 4 hours I hope. I wonder what I can achieve in Brighton next year by incorporating speed work. I plan to follow P&D 's plan.

Thanks Kharnivore - certainly tougher than it seemed though! Some of the sessions felt quite lonely at times as well as pretty hard work (most of my running is done on my own with just some of my runs with my club). I think I will need to have a look at some of these training schedules for next time too...equally though I don't want to fix something if it works so a compromise between a plan and what I did this time (having kept a training log) may be the way forward. Not for Brighton next year though...but possibly an autumn marathon next year! Good luck with VLM and sub 4 hours on Sunday! image

• 10k jog along the seafront in Brighton this morning - first pre-marathon run, felt really good to be able to jog all the way back from 23 mile mark to finish.  A lot cooler today than it was on Sunday, so a nicer run along this section.

•  

Seems a lot of money.  Assuming that means they have arranged for no rain image.

I'm in.  Thinking that it is always good to have something to motivate me through the winter months, and that makes the entry fee more than worth it!!!

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Does it really cost more than London once you include hotel, food etc costs? (unless you live in London)

£60 or 70 does sound a lot but if you work out the whole weekend cost it might sound more reasonable??

It's never rained during a Brighton marathon, they always book a dry weekend (so far!?)

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    john2443 wrote (see)

It's never rained during a Brighton marathon, they always book a dry weekend (so far!?)

It's rained on my birthday before, though. image