Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Finnalyy have my training back on track, when i entered this way back in May i think i was doubtful of sticking to the training, but having also entered the Great Soouth to motivate me into longer runs and to have a plan to work to, it seems to have paid off as iam now up to 10.5 miles and have just done my 2nd 30 week on the trot.

i have entered Brentwood half as a pre Brighton training run as well,

• Hey toby my splits are different from yours and your mile 7 was playing up pace wise then on your garmin you said you'd lost the pace  if I remember rightly cos you asked me what pace we were doing and I said 8:39 anyway my splits from garmin are as follows and sit right with mile 10 stopping for a bit as it's the slowest...

8:46  8:28. 8:35. 8:46. 8:49. 8:47. 8:56. 8:56. 8:58. 9:44. 9:20. 9:26. 9:10 8:41 

But I think bloody good pacing there Mr T 

• yes I’d forgotten that I'd lost the pace on that mile yes have to say very pleased with though splits

• From my above mile splits ,I can clearly see what I can improve on, and that's getting every mile from 10 onwards back down in the 8:50 mark ,I think endurance training comes into play here ...Kenyan hills etc ...anyone else with endurance training tips feel free to give advice ....

• Just popped by the forum... Massive congratulations on your sub 2hr Yvonne I know how much you wanted it and how hard you worked for it - so pleased to see you achieved it image

• really must get out for a run cold feels like it on it's way out so will see how i feel when i get up

• Starting to work on my plan for next years marathon first one early march, looks like training will start mid november, looking forward to Brighton having missed 2012, just need to get some speed into my running after the ultra training.

take care everyone

• Afternoon all

well got out for a run today but knew as soon as i got out the door it was never going to be the quickest of runs so settled for 10 miles at a gentle pace weather today was lovely so the shorts did get another outing today

• Hi all, sorry to parachute into the forum, but I have signed up for Brighton and was wondering if there are any showers on site at the finish, as I will be checking out of my hotel before the marathon?

Cheers.....

• Jolorr I don't think there are showers at the finish,but some charities provide them at the end depending who you run for .....but there is always the sea image

• Howdy y'all image

I posted on the old 2013 thread a few times after I had a mid life crisis desire to run a marathon and started running at the tender age of 41.

I completed this years 1/2 and full marathon and have kept running.

I got round the Brighton half marathon course in 2:08 this February........today I ran the Tonbridge half in 1:48 so I'm well chuffed. image

• Swervin Mervin great to hear from you well done on that time what a great inprovement

• Swervin nice to hear from you again...and i see the running bug has truly bitten your behind!!!

well done on your new pb ,i know how chuffed you must be feeling cos i too dipped under the 2 hour mark at bristol half with tobys help....my next aim is to get a 1:50 so i guess ill just on running until this is achieved...

My aim for brighton marathon next year in under 4 hours ,which,i think you will achieve too with a half time like you have ...

• Afternoon all

Well 10 miles for me again today and what a difference a good rest over the weekend made ran the same route as Friday and was 4 minutes quicker so all good again may do a gym session tomorrow but will see what time i have when i get up

• Morning all

Did a gym session on Tuesday consecrated ion building up the strength in my right hip and then yesterday a nice 5 mile run having a rest day today

• yvonne 2,

Thanks for the info, I have opted to stay a second night in Brighton and enjoy the festivities/beer. I'm sure I will be slightly dehydrated by the end of the marathon anyway....

Thanks again

• Jolorr good idea we always stay for three nights all together....much more enjoyable ....

Got my 5th sorry your rejected london marathon mag today ho hum 

Brighton much better anyway image 

• Thanks Toby & Yvonne.

Yes, Yvonne, my behind is well and truly bitten.....I finally clocked up a total of 1000 miles ran last month! Who'd have thunk it 14 months ago when I was a lardy lump, three stone heavier than I am now!

Well done on your sub 2hr time!! The sense of achievement in seeing times creep down is great isn't it? I'm definitely hoping for a sub 4 for the marathon next year....I ran 4:28 this year...so a lot of work to do!

I'm havin' a great week for PB's though............I broke my 10k PB tonight on Brighton seafront with a 45:39. I am so so chuffed! image

• That's a great 10K time Swervin. The mcmillan calculator equates that to sub 3:35 !!  Mind you, it tends to be rather overoptimistic.. especially for newer runners without years of long distance running in their legs - but if you keep up with your endurance stuff and hard work over the winter... you could be in for quite a surprise next April!

• morning all

well i to got a sorry your not in mag from london there loss will try and get out for a long run today but if i fell any thing like i did last we it we turn into a 10 mile plod

• Toby3 - me too got my sorry mag from London, like you say their loss.

Back up to 25 miles per week at the moment, including a spedwork session, really looking forward to trainign starting for next years marathons

take care everyone

• Hi all,

I am sorry for all runners rejected at the VLM! 

I was a bit lazy on writing the last few weeks. I purchased a new car and had a lot of things in my head. But now it is time to concentrate on running again. My work ends in half an hour and then I will go out and do 8x800m intervalls. Sunday there will be a 20miler.

I signed for a Yoga class each Thursday and I am looking forward!

• Morning all

wasn’t really sure how far to run yesterday so just kept going until I’d had enough which turn out to be just 14 miles before the legs said enough, enough i seem to be struggling really badly with my long runs on a Friday

can only put it down to the fact that now I’m out picking again and rushing around the warehouse all night that by Friday I’m already knackered i am to it hoping that after a bit the body will readjust  and by the time training starts in December i will be Ok  

or there’s no way I’m going to repeat last year’s performance out for a 10 mile run with Poohbear today and then just a couple off shortish  runs next week then the 3 H/M in 3 weekend begin with  Cricklade next Sunday

• toby3 - good luck with the half marathons

• Morning all

well did 10 miles yesterday will do a gym session today concentrating on building up the strength in my right hip then a 3 mile run on Wednesday and then nothing until Sunday have to say if yesterdays runs any thing to go on I’m looking at a 2hr plus run on Sunday

• looking at doing my first park run in 3 weeks time, never having run an organised event less than 10k, got a trainign route sorted and did 23mins 40 secs this morning so weel chuffed for an overweight ultra runner the wrong side of 40.

Toby3 - i am sure you will be fine at the weekend, we all get bad days.

take care everyone

• Morning all

well just a 30 minute run yesterday for me may well do the gym session i was meant to do Tuseday when i get up but works being a bit of a pain at the moment so i may well only have time for something to eat by the time i get up before having to leave for work again

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

I'm worried about my knee still. It's been three weeks since I was told to rest it. I've done no running. Only walking. I had an interview up in London today and that involved a short walk into town and several train rides and the London Underground. Nothing that should have upset my knee. Well, it's upset. There's a pain in my knee now to the right side of my kneecap and just below the kneecap. I'm so fed up of not being able to run image

• well did just about some weight training and streaching in yesterday before work resting up till Sunday now

Faya sorry to hear your knee still bad