Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• I'll say it quietly but no ITB on 5 mile run this morning, fingers crossed that will be the end of it but will keep stretching and strengthening exercises + foam roller on buttocks per Mervin's suggestion, coincidence  or is this the answer?

• Ran 4 miles today with middle 2 miles at sub 10 min miles. Slowly getting there image

• A nice little 9.56 mile run in the sunshine early today, felt good,really enjoyed it,was only going out for anything up to 6 miles but really good conditions and I felt strong ....also my treadmill gave up the ghost last night I've had it for 7 years and it was only a cheap v fit one £250 I paid back then so it's done me proud ...any suggestions on a new one I've looked at the Roger black one half price in argos at £349 anyone got one? Suggestions welcome,

• Signed up for the Brighton marathon after watching a friend run it this year.

Just completed the Great South for the first time and this will be my first marathon.

Got an Asics training plan to follow which I'm going to start this week.

Think I'm just about ready for the long hard slog thru the winter monthsimage

• Nice one Sully...hope the pain stays away.

Here's a link to the exercise I did and it worked wonders! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Qw4aAFdbc

Yes Tel, it's an inguinal repair I'm in for. image I was really hoping to be tippy toeing around after a fortnight...5 weeks!! I'll go mad if I can't run. I've not really had a break since I started running in July last year....I really won't know what to do. Get unfit and fat I guess! image

Well I went out on a high....I got a 10K PB tonight @ 45:26 image

• Swervin well done on your pb,and i guess you can do gentle exercise after your operation? Swimming? Or is it a total no no to anything? Let's hope not...just stay strong and focused...

VixK welcome to the thread....and enjoy your marathon training and journey,I remember my first one well...

Hi to everyone else and hope your training is starting to take shape 

• I was out walking the dog after 2 weeks, but it is a very painful operation. There is no way you'll be running in 2 weeks but if you take things easy and just build up gradually you'll be fine. I didn't run until 5 weeks but you don't lose too much fitness and was back hitting times after about 8 weeks. Don't wanna put you off but the first week after the op is agony, take every painkiller they offer you and stock up on All Bran image. I got really down in the dumps about it at the time, but now I'm glad I had it done, and I can cough and sneeze pain free! If you have any questions feel free to message me. There are also a couple of videos of the op on YouTube that are quite 'interesting' 

• afternoon all

10 miles for me today weather was over cast and it was clod last night so went out dress for that sort of weather boy i wished i hadn’t it turn out to be a lot warmer than i thought was sweating buckets by the first mile

• Hi all

Marathon training due to start next Monday, but went for a 12 miler last friday and when i got back, my heels were tender, looks like the signs for PF, so rested all weekend, the pain had gone by yesterday and all ok today, but going to give this week as a complete rest and hope all ok next monday. This is also a good excuse to go shopping for new trainers, but they dont seem to make the trainers I prefer Nike triax, after the +15 they have changed the material of the base and it does not give enough support.

take care everyone

• Not done anything for the last 2 weeks due to ilness, work and laziness. Today was the first day back in 'pre-marathon training' training mode, and did a leisurely 4 miles to try and kick start the muscles. Plan another couple of similar sessions this week, with a couple of extended sessions the week after. Then the training plan kicks in at the beginning of december. This is my first ever marathon (and probably my last !( so I want to stick to the plan  (have gone wayward on other distance plans in the past - much to my detriment) in a hope that I can finish competently.

Good luck everyone.

• Signed up a while ago for Brighton 2014. It will be my 4th marathon. The 4th that I've signed up for that is. I didn't even make it to the start line of the others due to injuries. Fingers crossed, just started week 4 of 24 week plan.

Battling with a knee problem but just about keeping it under control. Seems I have to keep flexing my leg repeatedly while laying on my back. I can feel something in my knee clicking and then I'll get the sensation prior to a click that's a tad harder to flex through & after that it's all smooth & I can run. Peculiar & annoying. Not the best of situations but if I can run, I can run.

Making it to the marathon start will be nice. I will be delighted with any finish time at all! image

• Swervin Mervin, just following up re hernia and with Big Slow Tel. I had a completely different experience, no pain at all. I spoke to the surgeon about this as I had also heard it was very painful but his view is sometimes people have pain and other times not - bottomline was he had no idea that was the case. So good luck hope goes well.

• My birthday this Thursday (14th) & I may just pop down to Preston Park & do the 25 minute jog from my plan there. Any other takers, perhaps just before lunch - 12:30pm, (I will be slow!)?

• Sully 2, you must be hard as nails or just lucky! I wouldn't have wished it on my worst enemy. Mervin, expect the worst and you might be lucky too image

• Morning all

just 5 miles for me yesterday i may do 5 again today or swap it for a gym session will decided when i get up

• Ran 6 miles at club yesterday image

• Did ~31 minutes yesterday, probably about 5 miles. Not currently running with a GPS watch, just a stop watch so not certain of mileage.

I quite fancy one of those new fangled Garmin 620 "all" singing "all" dancing that will make me the champion of the world. Still don't understand why it has a GPS and yet no map or even breadcrumb trail. I sometimes like to go "off plan" but less likely to do so without a backup in a location I'm not familiar with. Did this in Exmoor some time back, glad I did (as v. beautiful) but glad I didn't get lost (fab trails all over the place).

Talking about dancing, I gather the 620 thing even measures how much you bob up & down. I bet it can't cope with my probably something like Dad dancing running form image

Why do I have a Forerunner 305 & no longer use it. Oh yes, I updated the car Garmin & that hosed the driver for the 305 so I can't get stuff off it. Can't be bothered to do battle with the computer to make it go again. Can I be bothered with another Garmin that probably fights with all their other products... Map & a bit of string anyone!?

But the new toy is so lovely to behold & it's nearly my birthday... I can't resist... resist... arrrghhhh image

• Looked on Google maps & I think yesterdays run was nearer 4 miles.

Today the plan had me doing this; 10m jog + 10m run + 5m walk + 5m run + 10m jog.Those m's are minutes not miles! About 4 miles covered. Those run bits sure took it out of me for the last jog bit, I nearly bailed early with a slight left leg ache with about 4 minutes left but that ache didn't mature so I pressed on to the end. Glad I did, (on this occasion!).

Didn't give in to temptation & buy any gadgets. The shop has sold out!

• When I signed up for thismarathon, the organisers said that we would be sent a unique code that would give free access to plans and advice from "the Run lounge" web site in november - has anyone received the code or has full access ?

• Skippys right leg,ive not had the code yet but im signed on to the run lounge as i had a code from  a high 5 marathon gel pack i brought... i think im inundated with plans right now as sis have a plan which was sent to me via the runners world news letter yesterday which looked good too,i was gonna follow the plan as per the london marathon magazine but i think ive got lots more reading to do before i make up my mind

a 3 mile fartleck run for me tonight ,ive got a 10km on sunday

•  

Morning all

Opted for a gym session yesterday mainly weights did some exercises using kettle bell weights that booktunk posted have to say i really felt it afterwards will need to keep doing them as they did stretch all the right spots

• Had a brighton marathon mail that says codes for run lounge will be e mailed out week commencing 25th November

• yvonne 2 wrote (see)

Had a brighton marathon mail that says codes for run lounge will be e mailed out week commencing 25th November

Are these plans good then? I'm currently nearing the end of week 4 of a 24 week plan I downloaded from the London Marathon site. I'll certainly have a look at the Run Lounge one if it's free. Guess I can always switch.

• Just got the mail this morning as well. As my plan doesn't begin until december, I can look at this one on offer and see what suits best. I am hoping that their will be some decent advice (more nutritional) to help me

• 25 minutes "jog" today said the plan. About 3 miles or 5 Km I think.

• 5 miler last night, felt the ITB again, would describe more as a niggle just want it to go away. My plan is to get some new trainers as my current ones have 400 miles on them and based on what I have read (even though they still look new) could help the ITB.

Trust you all got the runlounge email, wondered if there were any views on this, I have started using the asics plan but wondered if the money is worth it for something a little bit more personalised.

• Sully 2 ,it's free,so there is no harm in joining and receiving a training plan every week for the week ahead,like I say I was gonna follow the plan as per vmlm magazine but I may read a few plans before deciding on which to go for 

• Morning all

well have to get out for a longer run this week after chickening out last week Swindon 10k this Sunday  so me and Poohbear will be off to stay with Yvonne again this weekend so may just do a run till I’ve had enough today

• 15 minute "jog", 10 minute run, 20 minute "jog" along Brightons smelly Dyke Road/Avenue & beyond. Not really sure how far, probably about 4 - 5 miles. I really must find a route with less smoggy traffic. Eeew image !

•  been out for a run today 15 miles done not the fastest but i was deliberately trying to keep the pace down to avoid struggling at the end Avg pace was 9.29 m/m so that’s a good base to start from