Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Yesterday The Plan said just 25 minutes. Sadly I had a 400 mile round trip drive with a bit of work in the middle so, given that I was sat down I figure it counts as an extra rest day from my normally 6 days a week.

Today, felt rubbish. Washed out after the insane drive yesterday I had an extra glass of medicinal wine last night, sat in front of the telly with my wife & seemed to pick up her cold in sympathy! The Plan today said jog 70 mins which I did. It felt grim but at the the end of the day my pace was a bit off for most of the first 3/4 of the run and then seemed to improve. So it wasn't so bad after all (and a lovely blue sky morning) image.

• Good running going on .....

I did a little 4 miler today,long run tomorrow a whole 6 miles ,this is the drop back week ,every fourth to allow your body to adjust to the training and mileage !! Next week it cranks back up to a 12 miler ...then keeps climbing ....with the speed work and hills in between ...

• Morning all

Well Christmas is all most upon us so the next few days will be hectic of to Leicester on Christmas Eve to pick Snowmidenr up and then have to take her back Boxing day so runs may be few and far between over the Christmas

14 miles for me yesterday got lucky with the weather as it was cold but the sun was out when i started but had become very overcast by the time i got home but at least i missed the rain

• 5 miles in the rain, enjoyed it. Think and I am getting on top of ITB, will keep maximum distance at 5 miles to see how it goes before stepping up to 7.5 miles.

• 6 miles today in 55:56 which was my time in Bristol the first time I got under an hour for a 10km ,suppose to be a slow run !!! managed a dry one although got wet later dog walking ...am loving my running right now 

Marathon pace for my sub 4 is 9:09 pace slow runs should be  one min plus slower so you don't tire yourself to still be able to do your training runs during the week ...I can't at the moment stick to plus 10 min mile pace ....does this matter if I'm feeling ok and ok for rest of the week???

• if your running at a faster pace and feel all right then keep going as your body has obviously got use to it which means you may find when you run Brighton your be well under the sub 4hr mark

• The plan said 1 hour 43 of intervals. Felt like hard work at times with the mid third feeling great and the last third feeling like I had just about spent my effort properly. I feel tired but good now.

I also managed to get the weather to match my effort so when I was on the take it easy interval it was sunny then the sun went in but I was going a bit faster and then it was time for an all out effort and I was running into a gale on the seafront with the rain pelting me & helping to keep my temperature just right. Talk about good timing!

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Good running everyone, some good effort being shown just before Christmas. I had a tough 21km in the wind, rain and mud this morning. The rest of the family think I'm mad running in this weather. 

• Got fitted out for some new trainers and custom made insoles yesterday.  Was really good, they looked at my running and told me things to do to improve and prevent injury with exercises to do too. New trainers are great and though we only managed a short run last night they felt good and it is nice knowing that my trainers are supporting me in the way they should. Not sure how much running I will get in this week as we are all over  visiting family but hopeful to still do the mimimum from my plan.

• The plan said 30 minutes jog. Easy enough but it just felt rubbish, not sure why.

Could be the early start for it, could be the nasty rush hour smog I had to run in or perhaps post long run fatigue from yesterday. I hope it's better tomorrow.

• Sharon G wrote (see)

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in Brighton? I'm trying to get organised image

Thanks very much!

Sharon

I think the issue isn't so much where would you like to stay as does anywhere have any rooms, everywhere gets booked up very quickly that weekend. Transport is a problem because of the marathon road closures so it's better to have somewhere in walking distance of start and finish, so either central Brighton or between town and the start. 

Booking.com is showing lots of B&Bs that just have 1 room left that weekend, many places will only take bookings for 2 nights at a weekend btw.

• The plan said 60 minutes. I headed of down Brighton seafront. Thought I'd been crafty & timed it just right with a nice gap in the rain. It was spitting when I left so I figured I was just catching the tail end. 10 minutes later it rained so heavily, I've never ran in anything like it. I was soaked. 10 minutes later the rain eased off & then mostly stayed away. The rain was replaced by a bit of a head wind gale on my initial seafront direction.

At least 5 of the beach huts were destroyed in the storm last night. Got to one of the promenade shelters thingies & there were 3 homeless people having a kip. That must've taken some doing to turn the storm to oblivion & sleep through it outside. On the seafront!

Anyways, it was a much nicer run than yesterday. image

• Glad you had a much nicer run Piggyback.

Just dropping by to wish you all a very merry Christmas! Have a great time and I hope you get in more running than I will. Going to be a tough January to catch up

• Tillstar wrote (see)

Glad you had a much nicer run Piggyback.

Just dropping by to wish you all a very merry Christmas! Have a great time and I hope you get in more running than I will. Going to be a tough January to catch up

Thank you, and a very Merry Christmas to you too!

• About 10 miles today. The nicest part for me was giving my gloves to a couple of homeless peeps in a doorway on East Street & wishing them Merry Christmas, (not sure they heard me). And I'd not even used the gloves to mop up sweat or to wipe my nose on, they'd were clean on & only used once before!

I don't feel the need for a halo as I bought a pile of these on the basis that I could ditch them if I wanted to but nice to pass them on in such a way. Made me feel good on Christmas morn' image.

For the last hour of my run I tried saying "Happy Christmas", initially just to other runners and then to anyone nearby. I didn't get much response along the seafront but picked up a couple of greetings near the marina. On my return it was much the same with all the grumpy people on the seafront. I then turned inland & headed back to Preston Park where the cheer (mostly) increased as I got nearer.

I was tempted to run back to the misserable ones and shout IIIIIIT's CHRIIIIIIIISTMAaaaaghAaaaaaghAAAAAAS! But didn't, I think it's a Southern thing or perhaps a Brighton thing where you assume anyone that speaks to you in the street must be a nutter. Perhaps they're right.

Merry Christmas everyone. image

• HitchHitch ✭✭✭

hi, anyone know of someone selling a place for Brighton? I did it in 2013 but didn't apply for next year as I had plans which have now changed due to my daughter getting married, thanks

• Hello!

I'm running Brighton marathon 2014 too! Pretty excited. It will be my first marathon. Only done a half before but loved it. My time was 1 hour 58. Hoping for a 4 hour 15 for  Brighton so I'm going to work hard.

im good at going out for steady runs but hate core exercise and don't really do any tempo stuff. Going to do some hill work tomorrow though!

considering doing Edinburgh marathon 7 weeks after. Bonkers idea?

• Merry Christmas everyone! Piggyback I am quite jealous of your Christmas Day run. With family today so no run for me. Was hoping for a long run tomorrow but the roads around us are all completely under water so that's out of the question. Hopefully we will make it to the gym instead so I can run there
  • Tillstar,I too am jealous of anyone who ran today,I was banned from running by the kids,understandable though,we took the dogs out and two runners passed me I so wanted to swap places......oh well there is tomorrow morning before 6 hour work shift behind the bar ......

Our roads are not to bad but one of my routes is blocked with water,ok if I fancy getting wet feet but really don't want to ruin my trainers until I get some more I had some money for Christmas so am waiting until I see some brooks for sale at a decent price and get a trail pair and road pair 

• Happy Christmas everyone.  Must get back to training plan after Christmas as I have been lax with all the Christmas activities that have been going on.

Some good running going on, especially from Piggiebackride, so wish I lived closer to Brighton to do some training there.

• 25 minute run ("recovery" I think it's meant to be). Cadence all over the place but felt OK overall. Nice blue sky day, tad cool in the shade but lovely & toasty in the sun.

• Evening all

hope everyone had a good Christmas well no running for me since last Friday so may well leave it now till Sunday then do my long run just so i don’t get out done by Snowmaiden then back to it in earnest on Monday  

• A lovely 5 miles in 45 mins   for me this morning before work,was up and out by 8:30 go me .....felt good to be out again although it's only been one day I missed that being Christmas day ......Will do my weights and core tomorrow then a 12 miler on Saturday morning 

• Tad under 7.5 miles today taking in a few Brighton sights like some of the beach huts (v strong head wind which is great because it becomes a lovely tail wind going the other way), the Queen Vic' statue and the Peace statue before going back uphill rather tired to home.

• 62 pages of comments and its not even 2014 yet!!!

Impressive stuff and shows how good the Brighton marathon is.

I'm back from injury and managed 6 miles Christmas eve and 12 miles on boxing day, so my marathon training has now begun!

• well first post Christmas run for me today went out with Poohbear and did 10 miles hoping to do 12 tomorrow and 8 on Sunday that way I’ve covered all the runs i missed over the Christmas

• Did 6 miles today from Hove Lagoon to the Brighton pier and back.....first run for me since last Saturday image

My lad got a new bike for Christmas and really wanted to come with me (he's got gears now so can make some decent progress). It was great heading East but my god the wind on the way back was ferocious.....felt really sorry for my boy really struggling to ride into a gale....I ended up running and pushing him along most of the way home. Phew!! Quite a workout. 

Also got to model my new bright red Asics running top. Felt quite self conscious as I normally run in stealthy black. My face matched the top when I got home.

Still recovering from the Hernia repair, and just found out I'm going in for an operation on my eye in early January now. Look out for me in the marathon with my white stick! image

• 12:70 miles for me this morning ,plan said 100 -120 mins run so I did the 120 to shake out the cob webs, although I did a 5 miler boxing day and a 3 miler Christmas eve that makes 5 runs since last Saturday so that's the most running in a Christmas week I've done in ages ......

Hope the eye op goes well swervin 

• Afternoon all

Well didn’t fancy going out tomorrow for a run so added the 2 runs i had left together and did 20 miles today went ok up to mile 15 and then i began to struggle a little in the end had to run walk the last 3 miles still got there in the end on at least all my runs that i missed have been covered

• Toby not surprised you struggled a tad.....did you not do 10 miles yesterday too .....you mad fool .....