Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Sounds like peeps are really getting in gear now, well done!

Rest day yesterday for me, got stuck in traffic so trip took 6.5 hours. I missed lunch. Grabbed some bread before we had to party image, went to that had some party food & too much booze, came home early but instead of being good I carried on with some more medicinal wine.

Predictably my run today was purgatory, low on energy from the start which I did v. tired before "breakfast"! ~9 miles, still captain tired now. When will I learn (Santa made me do it, honest gov')... hmmm, New Years eve' coming up soon and I have a similar run the following day...

• First run since Christmas for me. Did 4.5 miles should have been 10 but my knee was screaming to stop after 1 and at 4.5 I gave in. Still at least I did something, just got to slow down and make sure I get the miles in while I get the fitness back. Still annoyed though.

Yvonne I love your last post image
  • Happy New Year to all of you!

I finished Lucerne Marathon at 4:07 in heavy rain and Vienna Indoor Half at 1:49. At the Half I had painfull stitches during the last few Kilometres. I wanted too much and was not relaxed.

Very good temperatures and no snow are making running easy these days. I am optimistic for 2014. Keep on!

• Nice times Franz.

25 mins today so that's what I did. Even had my son come along for a short while which was nice. Left calf aches now, hmmm. Better take it easy again tomorrow for my last run of 2013...

• (although I was wondering if I could also get the New Years day run in early enough too to be able to party image without affecting things... 60 minutes jog on the plan tomorrow, 90 minutes of intervals on New Years day... don't think I can get away with compressing that into a single day... with already having the calf ache).

• Evening all

10 miles for me today didn’t think i was going to get them done at one point as the weather was atrocious first thing fortunately it had cleared up by about 12 so i managed to get out for a run have another 10 to do tomorrow then a couple of rest days and then 16 to do on Friday

Franz great time

Yvonne yes i am a mad fool

• Well out for a little 47 min jaunt this evening,mixed it up a bit with some hill repeats,and fartleck runs ...

Went to our local leisure centre after to join the gym again,only for treadmill use mainly as I can't afford a treadmill right now so figured that £22 a month was better than forking out for a treadie and it's only a month to month contract which is good .......I may use the weights for conditioning work to ...no matter how much you have at home you never seem to use it like you do at the gym and the eldest daughter will be pleased to have mummy go to legs bums and tums torture with her ha ha 

Nice to hear from you Franz 

Happy New year to you all

Anyone else signed up for jantastic?? Our Parkinson's Google London marathon team have ,starts on the 6th Jan,I've pledged to do 5 runs a week,just a fun way to stick to your training when you've other people to answer to too 

• Last run of 2013... "The Plan" had me down for a 1 hour jog today. I took it easy to rest my calf a little. The sea was amazing, angry and rough smashing big rollers on the beach. By not much after half way I was surprisingly tired. I waddled back up the small hill & home with just over 6 miles on the clock. Slow AND tired, that's not what I had myself down for image.

I seem to have picked up a blackening toe nail... something new to nurse.image Noticed it yesterday so tried going back to a pair of shoes from last year that gave me no grief. No difference. Nice to know the old shoes are still viable.

See you all in the New Year image

• I had to run today,although it said rest day i just had to run around our village on the last day of 2013 and hoping to get a run in tomorrow on the first day of 2014......i say hoping cos im out tonight then im working tomorrow till 3 so not sure if ill feel like running or sleeping!!!! but im gonna try even if its a little baby 2 miles

happy new year to everyone... and this is where the training starts ramping itself up now...bring it on

• well didn't get the 10 miles done yesterday and with the way things are weather wise today it will be into the garage for a run on the treadmill

• Hark at me image; I managed to balance my need to party with my desire to get out & run today. It was touch & go when I woke at about 7 & could feel the hangover. Luckily by 9 that had vanished so I got up & went for it.

Annoyingly the extra kip also allowed the clear weather window to pass & I set off just as the rain started. Within 5 minutes it was getting wetter. Within ~10 minutes I was not going to have to worry about additional dehydration due to sweat requirements and the wind started to crank it up.

By the time I got to St. James Street (across the road from the Brighton Pavilion & part of the marathon route) I was starting to pick up comments from a few party goers yet to return home that seemed to think I was mad! ...says them in soggy party gear...

On on on to the seafront and it was really getting rather wild but strangely there were a few family groups out for a breeze too. No idea why, it was pissin' down only not so much down as horizontal due to the gale.

Once up on the cliffs above the marina I was getting buffeted about so much I didn't know where my next step was going to land. I wonder if this account for the missing 3 minutes of my run that my running watch seems to think I didn't do (as I think if there's no forward progress it doesn't count it).

Luckily I turned for home at this point.

Just over 90 minutes and ~9 miles. Given the conditions my distance could have come out at any number. The Garmin connect web site I use has this thingy showing the weather conditions on the run & claims "feels like 42° 18mph", I think more like "feels like underwater in a speed of sound current".

So glad I made it out today. image

Happppppeeeeeee Nooooooo Year everyone!

• Piggyback Rideplease your braver than me i chicken out of running outside and opted for and 8 mile run on the treadmill in my garage

• I never ran at all!!!!!! Sad face......I was sooooo tired,only had 4 hours sleep New year's eve then had to go to work,by the time I got home,the weather was atrocious I just curled up and said there is always tomorrow,which is now today!! 

4 days off work now,so I can run during the daylight hours woop woop 

• I really wanted to run on new years day and went to bed at a decent time, but the weather was a nighmare so stayed in and watched films all day!

Well done piggyback - you are a true nutter and will do well at Brighton marathon! image

• Happy New Year everyone image May it be filled with PBs for you all. I have to admit I am struggling to get motivated at the moment. Im just so tired that I have no desire to run at all. I know once I get back into running regularly I will love it but really struggling to do it or enjoy it at the moment image  Will run tonight but Im not looking forward to it

• Happy New Year everyone!

Yes, I did run on the first day of 2014! I climbed my little hill 13 times which made me proud. Hill reps are very rewarding and motivating.

In Austria we have unusual good conditions. No snow or ice on the roads and even the trails are free of obstacles. Today I will run 2x10min threashold with 2min jog break.

• toby3 wrote (see)

Piggyback Rideplease your braver than me i chicken out of running outside and opted for and 8 mile run on the treadmill in my garage

I just get so hot when running that it's nice when it's cool or raining a bit. I think you must be the brave one coping with the treadmill. I don't have one but do have an exercise bike & find using it purgatory - nasty horrible torture device (even if I find something to put a film on while I peddle). Outside almost always gets my vote & it's quite mild, at least down in Brighton it is. Rainy Brighton - imagine running in a warm shower. OK, a windy warm shower!

25 mins today said the plan. Lovely & sunny today, bliss. Hope that's the case tomorrow, (forecast says not).

• image I neither have a garage nor a treadmill. I have roads, trails and hills. My heart belongs to the roads.

• Tillstar, I'm with you and struggling with motivation at present ! Sure it will be ok when i get out there, but with dark mornings and nights and weather, its hard to get started really.

• I'm motivated cos I'm training for two marathons and I'm running for a cause close to my heart Parkinson's uk so lots of fundraising to be done to .....

Hope you get your mojo back soon tillstar....

Joined the gym again today ,went with my daughter to a leg,bums and tums class tonight ,my quads will ache tomorrow I can feel it already ...

• Hi yvonne,  I wish you all the best for your fundraising!

Even though I have a public place for Brighton I decided voluntarily to run for Alzheimer´s Society. The page can be found on JustGiving. My current training plan is from the Alzheimer´s website and I am in the third week. I found it interesting because it is based on time to run rather than distance to run. My doctor said this is better for me because it reduces the danger of overtraining

Today the weahter is fine and I will do a 100min long run. To keep up motivation I make use of the training facilities for the Vienna City Marathon which is one week after Brighton. At January 19 is a first training race where I can race for 7k, 14k or the Half . I can make the decision during the race.

For February 16 I enrolled in the 10 Miles du Carnaval in Niece, France http://fr.competitor.com/fr/nice Race for Fun!

Have a nice weekend!

• "The Plan" said 65 minutes of intervals so I did that, about 6.5 miles.

"The Plan" did not say hurt knee but I did that. image

Luckily tomorrow is a rest day.

Unluckily "The Plan" has me down for a staggering 55 - 60% increase in max duration... (to 2 hours 45 minutes) and it's intervals... so 1 whole day off to get better... image

"The Plan" does not sounds quite so ideal for this coming Sunday (week 11, day 7 of the VLM 24 week beginner plan). I mean if 10% is "The Rule", why does this ignore that... image

• 10 Miles du Carnaval in Niece, France looks good Franz, tempted with that next year maybe. Will be interested to see what your views of it are.

You say today the weather is fine - where are you - Its a dissaster near Brighton! Wet and Windy

• It was fine in Brighton not long after 9am... I can see that it's a bit grim again now.

• Didn't run on thursday as planned, I  got to the gym (roads are still a bit flooded by us) and had a mini breakdown because I really didn't want to go in. Came home and talked to my other half and we decided that trying to diet at the same  time as training just wasn't working and I needed to be eating more so that I have the energy to train. Made a few changes so eating more but all healthy and no rubbish and I feel much more energised. Looking forward to long run on Sunday now :0)

• 15 miles done and dusted ,was out at 7:30 back by 10 .....soaked to the skin,trainers on the radiator drying, now I do need a new pair!!! Clothes in washing machine,it's amazing how heavy they are when wet, probably why pace today was 9:52 still, at least it's done what it says on the tin; long, slow run!!! 

Bloody enjoyable though image

• I have started training for this really late. Last week and this week I have just been building up mileage. The longest I ran was 11 miles image

Really hope I have not left it too late. I won't be hitting my time goals thats for sure. Will attempt 15-16 miles tomorrow.

• Hello. Tomorrow I am running 13 miles. Is it recommended to take gels for this?. Also during the Brighton marathon are the gels that are provided enough or should I take my own?

This is my first Marathon. So it's all pretty new to me!

• Ann I must admit I never took gels today but I did take lucozade,but hardly drank any due to not being thirsty as I got rained on every step of the way ...

When I run a half I usually,take up to 3 gels but that's cos I'm racing then,it's always recommended though that you experiment with gel taking during your long slow runs to see how you cope with them as they can make you feel sick or some give you more energy than others,me personally I like the high 5 gels ,but I would buy a few different one's and see how you get on with them...what you don't want to be doing is trying a new approach on race day,you should have decided by then what works best

Oh I do believe they give out energy drinks ,water ,cliff shot blocks,and gels but most people take their own as the ones they give out May not be the ones they are use to

Hope this helps and good luck with your run tomorrow 

• Thank you.

I see that Gatorade are Brighton's sponsor and therefore that's what the gels/ drinks will be. 

• Ann Knox wrote (see)

Hello. Tomorrow I am running 13 miles. Is it recommended to take gels for this?. Also during the Brighton marathon are the gels that are provided enough or should I take my own?

This is my first Marathon. So it's all pretty new to me!

I wouldn't take gels for a 13 mile run. Tbh I wouldn't even take water for that distance. However, everyone is different so experiment.