Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• I always take water with me on every run, I sometimes don't drink it, but other times I'll have a few swigs,I do, what is the common sense approach and drink according to thirst,not just cos I think I have too.....

Like they say too much water is just as bad as too little....drink according to thirst...

• does anyone plan to follow a pacer? If so which one? image They are every 15 mins right?

• Morning all

well should have  done 16 miles on Friday but came down with the flu that’s going around and just felt like crap so gave it a miss will see how i feel when i get up from work tomorrow before deciding whether to run or may just give it a rest next week

i have noticed though i don’t seem to have the enthusiasm this year for the training and am finding it a real struggle to get out the door

i see there’s been some great running going on and to although who got out in the  rain well done your a lot braver than me

• Snowmaiden. I thought the conventional wisdom was that by the time you are thirsty it is too late and you are already de-hydrated

• Toby I think if your feeling poorly your motivation is likely to wane,but at the same time it's best to wait till your better.....

but you've also got to think about Anne and Alison,you still have to get your arse out ,you don't want to be letting them down..

My reason for running,even 15 miles in the pouring rain iscos I'm raising money for Parkinson's and I'm doing 2 marathons so I don't want to let anyone down,so I give myself a stern talking to....also signed up for jantastic which runs for 3 months as part of a team our London marathon Parkinson's group,you score points and you can't be skipping no runs unless your ill then you can play a joker ,sounds like fun should be enough motivation 

• Khanivore I am following a pacer for sure! Going for 4 hours.I went with a pacer in my first half marathon( Edinburgh rock and roll) and it helped me get a time I was pleased with and really made me move! I was with the 2hour pacer but got 1 hour 58! I got lots of tips from him.Very helpful. My minutes per mile was 90 seconds faster than my usual for longer runs. I train on my own so I tend to plod but a pacer along with the excitement of the day pushed me on!

I hope the Brighton pacers are as easy to spot and helpful as in Edinburgh!
  • Ann cool. Since I've started training so late I may well be following the same pacer as you! If things improve I might chance it and join the 3:45 pacer instead. 50/50 right now.

i followed a pacer at Silverstone half marathon and I a convinced he went off slightly too fast and that did me in and I suffered in the second half of the race and got a slow time. I tried to follow one in London and made the mistake of stayang 50-100m behind him at all times. We got separated and I fell away.

i will stick to the pacer like glue at Brighton and will also keep an eye on my garmin so I can do my own thing if their pace is not a relatively even split. They are human after all image

All the pacers I have met have been lovely, encouraging and friendly. I guess they are by definition decent people since they are offering to run the course with a dirty great flag stuck to their back to help us all image

• I wasn't going to follow a pacer but I may do,I'll be with you then Ann I'd dearly love a sub 4 hour marathon even if its 3:59:59.....your half marathon time is the same as my pb 1:58 ......

• Hi Wenty, I am really looking forward racing in Niece! Last year I did the Monaco Run from Ventimiglia, Italy to Monaco. Racing at the Cote d' Azur is the best motivator during the Winter! I LOVE THOSE TRIPS!

I am an Austrian Runner and I live near Vienna. There is also a Marathon where Paula Radclife ran the Half last year.

All the best, Franz
  • Yeah pacers are definitely good letting people follow them

Having not run a marathon before my concern with staying with pacer is 'hitting the wall'. to avoid that is it appropriate training and good nutrition? Or the gels? Core strength even?

• Well this weekends long run didn't happen either image Not eating or sleeping much this week paid its toll and I only managed 4 at the gym. Im eating properly and sleeping more this week and im going to see how it goes, If I can get in 25 miles this week including 12 at the weekend (back on track for the long run) then its full steam ahead for Brighton., If that doesn't happen I feel I will have to admit that I just don't have the fitness or the Poohbear determination to do this and cheer you on from the sidelines x

• Tillstar go to the nearest mirror,and stare into it......tell yourself you are a winner not a quitter !!!! Give yourself a good talking to, tell yourself you are strong, and you will get through this 

Love and hugs x x 

• Blew out my mega (for me) interval session yesterday, as expected due to my dodgy knee picked up on Friday image. My knee clearly still needed the rest.

Knee feels (99%) better image today but I am blowing out running again for extra sensibleness but have been on the wobble board. I have always been better on that with my right leg than left leg, anyone else find that with the wobble/balance board?

I hope to test my knee out tomorrow with a little jog although will probably not risk the 1 hour that the plan has me down for yet.

• HI ANN KNOX, even the experienced marathoners sometimes hit the wall. Do not worry. You can train your body for not hitting the wall by doing long easy runs 20mi 5 to 7 times before the marathon.

These runs shall train your body to burn more fat and save the carbs for the last miles when things are geting hard. Therefore do not take gels or energy drinks during training runs. Your body will burn these carbs instead of learning to burn more fat. You must burn fat because the body can store carbs for 22mi. If you are not trained to run on fat as energy source - you hit the wall!

Keep on, Franz
  • Franz, I totally agree and dont use gels (or even water personally) on long runs as the body needs to adapt to burning fat. Whats interesting about this is that the body is very clever and when you train for endurance runs the body learns to take longer to convert fat in cells and keeps them in a sort of limbo mode, so they are more readily available, when you go out on long runs.

Only times i use gels are when i want to put some quicker MP miles at the end of a long run, as if i dont i find I cant do the quicker miles at the end. I find my muscle stored energy runs out at around 18 miles and with no source of fuel my pace drops off.

only occasionaly use gels on long runs

• Franz, do you recommend the Vienna marathon?

I have looked at the monico marathon but it clashes with another one if i remember correctly. Is it around march / april time?

• Afternoon all

5 miles for me today have decided to stick to the treadmill just until this cold has cleared up then it will be back outside although having said that i do have 14 miles to do on Friday so may do that run outside as 14 miles on the treadmill is a bit too much even for me

Work’s not helping at the moment as i have to be in by 2.30pm everyday for the next two weeks so it’s a bit tight for time as by the time i get up do the run have a bath i will be having to be out the door so i may limit the runs during the week to just 5 miles as anything longer may put me late for work

• Yvonne - thank you, your response brought a big smile to my face. Going to give it all I can this week and make a sensible decision at the end of the week. I do want to do it and feel motivated again now. I am however aware that my fitness level is now zero and 13 weeks on 3 days a week isn't much training.  All my own fault I know. Watch this space....

Toby - hope you feel back to your normal self soon and limiting the runs this week sounds sensible

• Really struggling with my motivation at the moment for this marathon! I have been ill since end of Novemebr with heavy colds, feaver and now have a chest infection. I have not been able to train since that date and its really getting me down and worried that i will struggle come race day.

Ahhhhhh its just so frustrating!!

.... and now breathe!! lol

• Dubbed Im in the same position as you though through lack or motivation rather than illness, considering pulling out as I don't think I have left myself enough time but as some on here know I did that last year too so its now or never if I don't do it this year I never will. Just don't know what I will do

• HI WENTY, the use of gels during the last miles I find useless because the carbs in a gel take too long to be processed. Pure Dextrin (grape sugar) does not need to be split and goes faster into the blood. And it is cheaper too.

Monaco Run is not a Marathon, it is about 24.3k and it is in the Middle of March. I rate it 5 Stars.

Vienna City Marathon is nice but not outstanding. Personally I recommend the Half.

Besides that - for October 12 I got a public place for the Royal Parks Ultra! Wonderfull Epic Shit Running.

Keep on, Franz
  • well 5 miles done for me tonight and all at MP so the furthest and fastest I have run for a couple of weeks. Think i might be starting to find my motivation again as I knew as soon as I started the run I was going to finish it whatever it took back to the feeling of i will conquer this, long way to go yet though

• Well I must admit I havent done much training for the last couple of weeks as I have had a nasty cold that I havent been able to shift.  Must get back to training tomorrow with a 5 mile treadmill run and back to the gym on Wednesday.

I am determined to get a better time for the Marathon this year as I want a 5 in front of the number, not a 7 like last year which I must admit to being a little disappointed with, but as the sole aim last year was for me and Snowmaiden to finish the Marathon and not worry about how long it took us at least we can both say we completed a Marathon which is a great sense of achievement in itself.

Tillstar - dont beat yourself up, you can do it and you will do it.  At the end of the day it is crossing the finish line that counts, not how long it takes you to do so.  You can always improve the time another year if you dont get the result you want the first time.  That's what I am aiming to do anyway.

Good running going on by everyone.  Hope everyone gets over their illnesses and operations soon.

• Tillstar it will be a shame if your not there both me and Poohbear were looking forward to meeting you

• Thanks Toby and Poohbear I will make my final decision when I have done Sunday's long run but I am hoping that I will complete that okay and that I can still do the Marathon. I certainly appear to have finally found my long lost motivation.

Is it okay to have a long run of 12 and build up by a mile a week between now and April. It still gives me 2 20 milers before race day. Rest of the week would be 2x 5 milers (1 easy, 1 hils/sprints, and a spin class with maybe a 5k or two if I get the time)  Does this sound sensible?(I did 10 last 2 weeks before Christmas for the long run)

Im sure you will more than meet your target this year Poohbear. Assuming I do the marathon I am no longer going to aim for a time as I haven't left myself enough training time for that, not going to lie I will always want sub 430 but given the fact I have only 13 weeks left to train just finishing will be an achievement enough for me.

Looking forward to meeting you both too image

• Tillstar 13 weeks is enough time to train especially if you plan to do 2x20 miles and your other runs sound good to, to strengthen and instill a bit of speed into your running.....i can remember my last marathon in 2012,my motivation was rock bottom i was thinking why did i sign up to do this madness for the third time and i didnt really get into my training till mid january,i did a long run, an interval run,threshold run and a recovery run...i went on to get my pb of 4:22 so dont give up if you really want it, you can still have it...

besides who will i have to walk up to the start with, from premier inn image

• Hi Poohbear, we runners do not quit. We fade, we hit the wall and sometimes we are reduced to a walk. But we keep on.

See you in Brighton at the finish line!

ALL THE BEST!

Franz
  • Hi Guys, Thanks for your posts.  Yvonne your post is very inspiring. Still having a tough time of it at the moment I do want to do this and I always have but training is proving hard to fit in. Partly due to work commitments and partly due to the fact that I have little free time with work and family commitments I am finding it hard to motivate myself to get out and run, decision will be made soon x

• Knee - couldn't even get 100m before I could feel it so had to bail out of my test run today. Grrr. image

• The cold and cough seems to be shifting with the help of the steam room and sauna at the gym. All being well i might try a little run tomorrow night and see how i get on. I must be able to handle a gentle 4m @ 10mm pace, surely?!?!?! ha