Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Khanivore -Good luck for VLM tomorrow!

Toby3 - You have helped me so much already with your advice but can you help me again? What is the best way to get faster? I can do 9 min miles easy for short distances but longer distances get to 10.30 / 11 and id like to keep a faster pace for longer (Long term goal is about 9.50/10 min miles for whole marathon)

SnowMaiden - hope you are recovering well.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Toby - nice one, thanks.  I'll make my mind up depending on how things go up to November. 

• Khanivore - unfortunately she can't run; a combination of breaking her knee twice and long-term steroid treatment does not make for safe and comfortable high-impact exercise.

It's a bit early for me to look into other options for next year, so I'll bide my time, watch this thread and live vicariously through you all. image

• From my lounge window, we've watched streams of luggage trucks going onto Blackheath, thousands of portaloos, there'll be activity all night putting in place final sponsorship material on the streets...

...I'm officially jealous, I want to run tomorrow!

I'm joining a cheer squad at mile 17 instead.

Good luck VLM runners, perfect weather for you.
  • Terpsikhore wrote (see)

Khanivore - unfortunately she can't run; a combination of breaking her knee twice and long-term steroid treatment does not make for safe and comfortable high-impact exercise.

It's a bit early for me to look into other options for next year, so I'll bide my time, watch this thread and live vicariously through you all. image

GCE, even, not Khanivore. :facepalm: I'm sorry, I think I've been out in the sun too long!

• Hi all. Been recovering well. Except for the fact the bottom of my left foot is still tender I'm mostly walking around fine now, a huge difference from Monday or Tuesday. image

Looking forward to watching what coverage of the London Marathon I can catch tomorrow.

Terpsikhore: Talking about being out in the sun too long, I got sunburned at Brighton but it's faded to a nice tan now.

• Tillstar i knew to do a sub 4hr Marathon i had to be able to run at 9m/m pace so i started by building up the time i ran at that pace when out on my MWLR and gradually trying to keep the pace going for longer each time as i got use to i increased the pace again to between 8.30 and 8.50 pace hope this helps

but to be honest the bigest facter this year is the 3st weight loss

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    GCE support group 4 are cheering me on and I will be wearing a yellow pirate visor image
  • Thanks Toby3 good advice as always. Will bring that into my weekly plan. Losing that weight and cutting so much time off your PB is a huge achievement and shows what a lot of hard work and determination can achieve. Fortunately I am only 9lb off my ideal running weight so I am working on losing that too (anymore and I start looking like a skeleton)

Snowmaiden glad you are recovering okay. Hope your foot heals soon.
  • Tillstar like you im only 10 pound off my go faster running weight but boy it takes longer to lose a teeny bit especially just 3 pound ......

besides going to a weight loss club toby how did  alter your mindset to lose  that weight......and on the extra run with pooh bear on a Saturday i know she had a run / walk  plan do you think this extra miles on your feet helped you to i know it added miles onto your week.....what im trying to ask is do you believe its best to run more miles each week over all to achieve a better time .....cos 70+ peaked miles is a lot in a week 

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Tenjiso wrote (see)

Khanivore - I followed the P&D up to 55m plan this year and loved it!  I knocked almost thirty minutes off my previous marathon time.  It's a big commitment of time, particularly in midweek (at least, it is at my pace image), but I'm now considering following the 55-70m schedule for next year's VLM.

Tenjiso - I also followed P&D up to 55 miles and loved it.  I also improved my personal best, in my case by 26 minutes.  It's far more than I've ever run before.  I lost a few kg of weight.

How did you find the strides?  I couldn't quite work out what to do and gave them up after my knee started to hurt when trying to run them.

• The determination to lose the weight came from wanting badly to get under 4hrs at Brighton and after trying since the 1st Brighton marathon to lose the weight and failing miserably i knew i had to join Weight watchers so having Brighton to aim at kind of made it easier

Yes the extra miles defiantly help with Poohbear plus all the extra 20’s and i up a lot of my LSR

That 70 included Llanelli h/m 13 miles Sunday, 10 Monday, 5 Tuesday, 5 Wednesday,22 Friday and 20 on the Saturday

• Wow Toby3 thats a tough week of runs, hats off to you.

Yvonne2 Defintately agree with you there if only I could lose it as quickly as I gain it! I have a huge sweet tooth so Im hoping by cutting out the sweets chocolate and cakes that would normally fill a large part of my weekly food intake and actually sticking to the plan and not missing sessions through feeling lazy the weight will take care of itself.

8 miles for me today.  Was going for 9.40 pace but averaged 9.27 so Im happy.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SGB - once I got off the treadmill and tried the Strides outside I loved them!  One of my favourite workouts.  There are a few descriptions scattered around how to do them.  It's a matter of working on leg turnover (cadence).  I had knee problems before starting P&D, but the high mileage seemed to work wonders.

• Ive been running for ages but how do you do strides?ive heard about them but have no idea on what they are...

• I am already thinking how to get under 4:30 for my next marathon, compared to 4:58 this time .. in a couple of years time !

• Ha Ha Sailsbury Lad I think you got the marathon bug!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    yvonne 2 wrote (see)

Ive been running for ages but how do you do strides?ive heard about them but have no idea on what they are...

There are slight variations, but loosely speaking.... accelerate for 70m up to full speed and then "float" (relaxed form) for the final 30m, then decelerate.  Then jog/walk for a couple of hundred metres before carrying out the next set.

I seem to remember Hal Higdon had one of the best explanations, but I can't find it right now, so i might have that wrong.

• Cheers Tenjiso....how often are they done ie twice a week for 10 repeats ive not followed a plan that includes strides, but like i said ive heard of them ..i know some people use them to warm up before a race too...

I shall look up this hal higdon person on the net image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

It varies Yvonne.  P&D had ten sets, either in recovery runs or general aerobic runs.  Sometimes, though it would be only six sets, depending on what else was going on in the training.  Some weeks didn't have any.  It's all variety in the training programme which helps keep it interesting image

• Am doing 2014 Brighton Marathon.............

Watched VLM highlights and want the experience all over again.  Pain and all.

Can't enter until payday (thursday) but no turning back now that I've told you lot!

Will have my posting head on tomorrow to catch up.

Only 50 weeks to goimage

• green fairy welcome aboard the bus......the marathon bug has got you again image

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

SGB - once I got off the treadmill and tried the Strides outside I loved them!  One of my favourite workouts.  There are a few descriptions scattered around how to do them.  It's a matter of working on leg turnover (cadence).  I had knee problems before starting P&D, but the high mileage seemed to work wonders.

Tenjiso wrote (see)

It varies Yvonne.  P&D had ten sets, either in recovery runs or general aerobic runs.  Sometimes, though it would be only six sets, depending on what else was going on in the training.  Some weeks didn't have any.  It's all variety in the training programme which helps keep it interesting image

My resolution for the coming twelve months is to do more strides.  It's something that I've not really done before, but seems simple enough to fit in to my regular regime.

Fairly easy week planned thsi week as I have Stratford HM this coming Sunday.  Hoping to crack 90 mins and fairly confident as training has been going well and apparently its quite a quick course.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Crikey this thread moves on quickly image

Well have just ordered the P&D advanced marathoning book for my next read - have almost an entire library of running related books!  I have been lurking on the P&D thread over on the training forum and it appears that they have all had great success following the plan... and as I love following a plan I may give it a go. However as it stands at the moment Brighton will be my first full marathon so am not sure if it's a bit too hard core - but will decide after I have read it.

After watching VLM yesterday I am looking at running an Autumn Marathon - as I am not sure if I can wait until next year - patience is not my thing!

• It would appear that some maniac went on my computer and posted that I would run again next year! image

I suppose I did image

• Ha Ha Green Fairy that just made me laugh out loud! Glad you are running again :0)

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I did VLM yesterday in 4:06:54 - my first marathon. OMG - omg omg omg what a rush. I know Brighton won't have the same level of support and madness. However, I also know that i won't be avoiding people dressed as rhino's as much and people who decided to walk 3 abreast right in the middle of the road. I can't wait!!! I need to work out what to do between now and then to speed up and get a 3:45 or faster (secretly hoping for a 3:30 but i know it's a big ask)!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

green fairy - fantastic!!! image thank that maniac when you find them image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Green Fairy lol!!

Khanivore huge well done on yesterday and a great time for your first. There is so much advice out there about improving on times etc, but you just have to go with a training plan that suits you, where you see improvements without causing injuries - sorry that is not particularly helpful!

Some believe that the Hadding plan works wonders, whereas others feel that intervals and hill repeats work better - Still not helping am I image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Haha Lisa that is exactly my dilema. Go with Hadd? Go with P&D? Stick with the Shades plan I have followed to date? I've researched them all!

One option could be to Hadd, building up weekly mileage on the way, for a few months and then start P&D 18 weeks before the Brighton marathon perhaps? Another option would just be to do multiple cycles of P&D. Really don't know what will work best for me.