Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Snowmaiden - hope you've remembered all your running kit this year 

• Sharon. If you really want to go sub 4 i would suggest trying to bank a few miles as most people who run around 4 miles will slow up in the last 6-10 miles. I would try and bank 10 minutes.

elites run negative splits generally as they are conditioned and can afford to build LT up at the end of the race but generally the slower a marathon time the bigger a positive split

However there may be some people on here that will disagree.

• The pacer under 4 hours is thee 3.45 pacer. The whole idea of pacing is to run evenly so to break 4 hours go with the 4 hour man(or woman)

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Sharon... go with the 4hr pacer 0 and if you've got 3:59 in you, then you'll do it!   If you run at that pacer, then fade, then don't chastise yourself because you simply didn't quite have 4hrs in you  on the day. 

However, if you do just about have a 3:59 within you, and you try to bank 10 minutes en route, then this is likely to cause you to exceed your threshold - and you've more chance of losing 15 minutes in the last 5 miles... so missing your target.

If you "bank" 10 minutes and go on to achieve 3:59... then in my opinion, you actually had a 3:56 in you, but didn't achieve it !!

Wenty might have a different experience... but I'm 'going by the book'... and "the book" reflects the majority of people.

• I think nose nowt is the ideal way to run it (non elite )but wentys is what most of us do image
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I know I'm being thick... but I can't find where to set up my twitter/facebook account so that it gets automatic updates as I make my way round the course.

Could anyone help please?

• I thought people would go by the book on pacing and say run it evenly! But look at all the 4 hour runners and I bet less than 5% run a even or negative split.

In my prior marathon experiences i ran positive splits of 10 minutes approx. last year brighton i did 3:13 and ran 1st half in 1:34.

Barcelona this year I ran a comfortable marathon at a slower pace and ran even all the way.

Non elites will tire and muscles will switch from slow twitch to fast twich which are not as efficient which is why most runners run positive splits.

• Nose Nowt - parking at the travelodge is £5 for 24 hours.

Snowmaiden - I'm volunteering at the Expo on saturday afternoon til 6pm.  If you are eating somewhere after that and you'd like to call me my mobile is 07855836799.

Different weather to that forecast pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

• Afternoon all

drove down to Brighton this Morning first stop the travel lodge at Preston Park to booking then caught the bus down to the sea front and went to the Exbo to collect our numbers and sign up for next year they’ve gone back to how it was were you just pay a £10 deposit and the rest 3rd of June now back at the travel lodge resting up

will go and watch the Mini mile races tomorrow as there just a cross the road

• Ahh, will see you at hotel then Toby3, Poohbear and Snowmaiden image

• Nose nowt. I'm not sure you can do that but if you can  I'd like to know too. If you can't then maybe they should put that in next years app?

• @Tracy G: Yup. I even remembered spares this year image No last minute panic for me this year.

@The Green Fairy: See you there image

• I don't know if this is useful, but I usually look at all my training runs and races leading up to the marathon to get an idea of whether I keep an even pace or start to slow at the end (its normally the latter) 

In my last Brighton I probably did go the banking route, because I ran with the 3:45 pacers up until mile 16. This was more by accident than plan. I just found I caught up with them and the only plan after that was to not overtake them because I knew if I did I'd be scuppered. I ended up with a 3:54 marathon which I was pleased with, but it was about 7 minutes slower than my predicted time had I ran at the pace I should have ran at. Who knows, maybe I would have been 7 minutes faster, maybe I would have still slowed down and gone over 4 hrs! 

Just don't go mad at the start, keep calm don't worry about overtaking slow runners, go past them gradually. I actually use them to stop me going over my pace and only overtake if they interfere with my footing.

Todays weather has been one of those days where its been too warm to wear a jacket but too cold to not go without. Its nice when the sun shines, but its been cloudy all day and the wind is cooling things a bit. Quite nice for running in though I think, but I hope its not too cold when we're hanging around at the start.

I'm listening to the sound checks going on at Preston Park at the moment. Not long now!

• Like Kevin i use other runners as pacers until they either speed up and their pace and it's to quick and get way from me or are running to slow for the pace i want

• Thanks for all your advice! 

The only marathon I've run before is the Kent Coastal and the route is hilly in the first half and flat and windy in the second and keeping and even pace has been difficult. It sounds as though it might be more achievable in Brighton so I'll probably go for the 4 hour pacer.

Hoping the weather is nice for us all image

• I think nose nowt is the ideal way to run it (non elite )but wentys is what most of us do image
  • Toby - poohbear and snow maiden - how many of you have signed up for next year? Who else is doing next year? I'm so excited and can't wait. Will be cheering for you all on Sunday
  • Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    I was surprised at how nervous I was just driving into Brighton today to pick my race pack up. God knows what it will be like Sunday...
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

SnowmaidenI- I visited Less Bounce today at Expo and ordered new kitimage

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Entered next years race image Got to keep up my Brighton streak 

• Does anyone know when Paula Radcliffe will be at the expo? 

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Ann Knox wrote (see)

Does anyone know when Paula Radcliffe will be at the expo? 

Supposed to be late afternoon

• Hi, i'm staying at the Thistle on the sea front. Anyone know how I can get to the start line from there?

• hi Tillstar just me and Snowmaiden Poohbear is going to do the Brighton 10k next year she did say that she may have another go but only when she can run a 2hr H/M so with the way she's taking  time of her PB she'll be back in 2016 image

• Hi Toby! Sorry to have missed you guys at the expo today. Cool shall be looking forward to hearing how everyone's training is going on here. Determined to make it next year and hoping that like snow maiden my first will be the first of many and yes the way poohbear has been running this year she will definitely be back 2016 image will look forward to finally meeting you all next year.
  • Evening all,  please can someone give advice on what to wear on heavy rain and 11 degrees marathon day.   I havent run on heavy rain days yet.

i feel 12 degrees rain is bit cold to wear my vest which I usually wear down to 9 degrees.

thanks in advance for any type of advice.

• I'm wearing vest and shorts oh and a blue tutu and leg warmers...

I ran a 15 miler in the rain in leggings and a t shirt and running jacket never again I think it added 10 pound in weight with all the water it absorbed and I was freezing where the clothes stuck to me 

Wearing a bin bag over the top to wear down to the start to stay reasonably dry 

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Chippy B wrote (see)

Hi, i'm staying at the Thistle on the sea front. Anyone know how I can get to the start line from there?

Walking is the best bet. Along the seafront to the pier, turn left, keep going, stop when you see Preston Park.

• john2443 wrote (see)
    Chippy B wrote (see)

Hi, i'm staying at the Thistle on the sea front. Anyone know how I can get to the start line from there?

Walking is the best bet. Along the seafront to the pier, turn left, keep going, stop when you see Preston Park.

john2443 wrote (see)
    Chippy B wrote (see)

Thanks John!

• Day before the marathon and the weather looks good for chips on the beach later. Chips are carbs, so it's all going towards tomorrow.

@Tracy G: I'll have to check it out when I go to the expo again today. image