Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Spen you’re not the only one not doing it Poobear not running it again next year she's going to do the 10k instead

• Philomena / Toby3 - I came back this year as a weekend away with the family, we had a fun time but so expensive, and they all agreed that as a family we preferred the double marathon I did at Pitsford, which cost £45 for two marathons with tech t shirt and two medals, and a great goody bag, and £10 of fuel to get there and back, and the people were alot friendlier, so the big events are not for us, but I do understand why some people like them and for a first marathon they are probably good.

Toby3 - good luck to you and poohbear next year

take care everyone

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Hi Spen

I probably won't do it next year.  I'd recommend the race to friends, but now the euphoria is coming down, I'm thinking that I'll probably leave it as a good memory for now, and move on to a different city.

Incidentally, I forgot to answer an earlier post from you... you wished me well, hoping I was OK after the marathon, in a way that suggested you thought I'd been injured.   If that was the case, then thanks, but I had no out-of-the-ordinary mishaps - it all went pretty well.  I had a minor clash with who suddenly veered sharp right to go and greet someone in the crowd, but not enough to affect my momentum... but I empathise with your water-station problem at the power station.

Hope the DOMS are subsiding for  everyone. Definitely getting better today.

• Nose - thanks for that, doms nearly gone for me managed a 5 miler this morning so back into training for Milton Keynes on 6th May, the water station problem may or may not have cost me my first sub 4hrs, but there is always the next one, also thinking of another double in July so many more chances.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

If you really want to "get the 4hr monkey off your back", then the phrase Less is More comes to mind. Fewer marathon - more chance of success. But then, I guess I might possibly not be the first person to make that point! 

I guess you just love the marathon experience... and every credit to you - you must have fantastic tenacity and endurance.  For me, 1 or 2 per year is quite enough.

• Spen I'm not doing  brighton marathon next year either but like poohbear I'm doing the 10km as we all love brighton and Mark d your so right regards the hotel, I managed a three night stay for £169 this year last year it was nearly £200 for two nights ...

Good luck to those doing london this Sunday too ,I am can't wait,that's if brain can tell legs how to run again!! 

I'm off to the 2015 thread now, cos I'd miss it if I wasn't among you lot and I guess us 10km peeps can join in too

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

This year it was 25 pounds per night for a family room in the two Travelodges... if you book well in advance.  I think bookings can be made about 10 months in advance, so plan ahead.

• I'm not a fan of the Travelodge in Brighton I have to admit,I prefer being in  the centre and I've heard the Travelodge on the sea front gets noisy, I stay at the premier inn,I can't fault it .....I like the fact it's central and if it ain't broke don't fix it is what I say oh and the kids would give me hell if they didn't have their huge breakfasts !!!  

• yvonne your always more thean welcome and anyothers running the 10k

• Nose Nowt - I understand what you are saying  and perhaps that may apply next year, I just enjoy the running and it will happen one day, this is the first year in 4 years that I have not been doing an ultra so getting faster.

With the hotels we stopped at Premier Inn Burgess Hill a really nice hotel, but it is 10 miles out of Brighton.

take care

• Already signed up for next year image hoping I can break the 5hr barrier and even get closer to sub 4.30 with enough training. Am going to go for it and enter for London as well who knows maybe next year can be an attempt to do two marathons!

• I rate Brighton as one of the best marathons in the world, certainly one of the best atmospheres. Why was it not friendly people? The spectators were great.

Go for it Soph - Glad to hear you want to do another one. 2 in 8 days is quite some feat!

• I've only ever done brighton marathon,(four times now)so I can't compare,well not until I've run London this Sunday,but I've heard lots of people still prefer brighton to London ...

I would like to run other marathons too,but not just yet ...

• Brighton seems to be just as good as London from reviews, although I would still like to do London as it's more of a hometown for me after working here for so many years. Very much doubt I'll get a place through as going for ballot one this time cant keep badgering people to sponsor me now

• It is hard getting a place, I have never got one through the ballot. (only GFA).

I have done Berlin, Rome, Barcelona and Amsterdam and I still think brighton is as good or better than all of them. I'm doing London on sunday so see if it can compare to Brighton.

• Wenty that is praise indeed for brighton if you've done all of those too...

I love brighton though anyway,regardless of running through its streets ...

• London is Bl**dy Brilliant...............But its so hard to get in on the ballot....

Yvonne you will love it............

If you've rested ok this week your legs will be fine for Sunday, I think you'll be surprised how fresh you will feel image I'm not gonna wish you good luck cos you wont need it!

• Thats good to hear Mark. Better than Brighton? image

• How did you do at London Wenty? 

• Total dissaster and one to forget! Knew I should have stuck to Brighton!

(felt good to 12 miles at 2:58 pace then got tripped and knees scudded. - walked last 2 miles virtually for a 3:19 - so a wasted winter of training. To be fair I doubt I would have gone sub 3 but would have hoped for something better)

/members/images/669117/gallery/photo_1.JPG

• Ouch !!! Hope your feeling more upbeat today wenty and sorry to hear your day wasn't great...

If it makes you feel better,now I've run London (yesterday) I'm in the I prefer brighton camp...

Far too many runners for me,my heels got trodden on I got elbowed I nearly got tripped and I spent the whole 26.2 miles weaving in and out of runners ...I was in pen 8 out of 9 it took me 18 mins to cross the start line and only thinned out at the finish!!! Don't get me wrong the sights were amazing and crossing tower bridge was special, big Ben and parliament and canary wharf all memorable ...

Yes the noise from the crowds was loud but at brighton everyone calls your name, at London hardly anyone did apart from my Parkinson's UK supporters groups 

• A bit late posting on here but we turned the Brighton Marathon into a week break...make it up to the boys and Mrs for all the winter training I had.

Well done to everyone for completing the course, and a huge well done for everyone who also ran London. I didn't quite meet my Brighton target of 4hrs, but knocked 18mins off my pb by finishing in 4:14. So I can't complain.

Oh well, my wife knows I've got a 4hr time in me so I'll have to run another marathon now image I've just been told to wait a couple of years as it was hard work spectating with a 2.5 & 5yr old in tow.

See you in London or Brighton in 2016!

• Wenty looks painful sorry London never turnout well for you hope you heal quickly

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Yvonne.   If you thought London was much busier than Brighton, then I'm mot sure I even want to enter the London ballot!  It must be terrible {I know I still will]

Brighton was absolutely on the limit for me - and sometimes beyond the limit for being overcrowded.   The one thing that makes me not worry about it is that I know that the fantastic, enthusiastic crowds helped me make up far more time than I lost!

• Looks like I will be back in the good old Brighton marathon again next year! It is a good one, and I think its big enough for the atmosphere without too big to be uncomfortable.

The guy who died was literally right next to me as he went over the finish line and collapsed. Same age as me as well. So sad.

Knee still knackered and may take a bit of time till running again.

• wenty I was the same as you on course for a sub three but due to Brighton I went to the dark side at mile 17, felt like I was going backwards! but saw a friend and went back to my usual heart rate running! 

Although I got a pb at Brighton, I still prefer London. Running in the industrial area of Brighton at mile 20 was just plain tough with no one cheering you at all! 

If you compare the crowds the last 5 miles was full of people cheering you on, compared to Brighton it was only the last 1 mile. 

Although Brighton is a good marathon lets be honest who doesn't want to run a major on their home soil! 

• Oh Alan - i keep changing my mind. I might do both as I qualify for a GFA next year for London. but will enter Bright on as well. May go for Brighton as my A race and London as enjoyment. shame they are both so close together

• I didn't think I'd run as well as I did in London,I felt really fresh after doing a pb in Brighton the week before...

Alan ,don't get me wrong,I enjoyed the whole London experience and the crowds were noisy but I thought the crowds at brighton were more personal cheering your name...even at the power station end people kept cheering,my charity were also down that end to so that gave me a boost ...

Perhaps if I was near the front in London and not in pen 8 of 9 I may have enjoyed the experience more,but looking where I put my feet on every step to avoid bashing into people,being tripped,nudged,and trodden on wasn't my idea of fun!!! 

Wenty,hope your knees recover quickly, and it's always very sad to hear of fatalities after any sporting event....a bit of a shock to see it so close though I can imagine ..

• Well I have signed up for brighton next year. It was Brighton or Paris. Brighton won!

Who wants the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur and Arch de Triumphe when you have Shoreham power station?

Luckily London is 2 weeks later so ican do both next year (I guess London realised it cant really compete with Brighton and had to move its date)

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Hey wenty.  What a shock. Terrible.