Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Afternoon all

Well 5 miles done is such a lovely day i went out for a run but kiss good bye to the sun because i went out with a pair of running shorts on the last 2 times i did that before Brighton the sun disappeared for a month

Yvonne can you post me the link to shades thread many thanks

• Toby - Under forums - training - shades marathon training - its about the 6th one down the list at the moment

• Lisa123 I'm also struggling to pick a training plan (I'm far too indecisive)! I've been looking at the plans by P&D, because like you said, they seem to have had some really good reviews. They look quite good, with lots of variation, but the mileage seems a bit heavy for me! (This will be my first marathon).

In the past I've used plans from the runningbug website, which as a beginner I found really good - though to be honest I think I'll probably end up mixing elements of a few different ones this time image

My problem is trying to incorporate speed training, as I really neglected it the last time round and my time suffered in the half marathons I did. I'm thinking some shorter quality sessions, as well as easy weeks, will help to avoid injury too - though I've heard lots of people suggest that for a first marathon, speed training is less important than endurance training and LSRs? What do you guys think?

• Toby ive been beaten to it.. thank you khanivore that saves me having to be all technical like (in other words asking daughter how to copy and paste again) image

• Envierose - you could have a look at Daniel's running formula. This sets out the key sessions each week, but allows you to adjust the mileage based on your chosen peak mileage. Not tried it myself and its not straightforward to follow but looks very flexible.
  • Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Khanivore will have a look at the Shades training. BTW I am also considering Chester in October sounds like a nice course ie; flat. Will decide come the weekend as Yorkshire marathon are making an extra 600 places available for those on the waiting list.

envierose as my mileage is about 35-40 I was thinking about the P&D 55 miles per week plan, so not too big a jump and hopefully manageable with the summer evenings (hubby is fab and kids are 17 and 22 so don't have to worry too much about them!) - can't be running 70pw at the moment as work full time and that just seems like a hell of a lot of running - but need to have a good read of the book before I decide.

Foam rollering aka instrument of torture image but needs must!! I also do 3 pilates classes a week for core strength and flexibility training - have abs of steel now however my flexibility is still atrocious.

Brighton HM is a fab race ran it this year and the perfect warm up for the big one.

• I've just been on the marathon website to sign up but when I saw that the fee is now £60 I have had second thoughts, so pondering.  After 17th May it will be £70.

• Well that's me signed up for next year's half and full.

Why O Why didn't I book my place at the expo and save myself £20? image

So this time last year I was two stone heavier and hadn't ran a yard in anger, so I'm in a much better position this year to work towards a decent time next year.

People keep telling me it was a great time for my first marathon but I can't help be disappointed with myself just a bit. I am so gutted that I had managed to banish my ITB pain back in February and I really hadn't even had a twinge for two months only for it it to return at mile 7 on the way out to Ovingdean. image

My left knee/leg is still very sore tbh and I'm not sure I should be running on it. I had a week off after the marathon and went out on Sunday but had to pull up after 3 miles as it was getting real sore.

Gonna dig the bike out of the shed I think and use that for a week or two.

• green fairy - if you're willing to pay £60... surely you're willing to pay £70?
    I have entered at the £50 mark, but I do agree - it is steep!

• Khanivore thanks for that

• Green Fairy - I nearly spat my tea out as well, however, if it keeps me moving my lard arse through the winter it is worth it. 

I am hoping to run really well at Brighton, with lots of training, a good diet and a positive attitude.  Really want to beat my previous time of 4.55.  What is everyone else hoping for?

• First marathon. Sub 430, should be achievable (from half time) with hard work on the running and diet. Main thing tho is to train hard and if I have given it all I could then the time doesn't matter. Also running for a lovely charity so hopefully I can raise lots for them as it would make a very special ill lady very happy if I did.
  • not shore for next year whether to go for a sub 3.30 or just run with Poohbear and Snowmaiden i think i will have to weight and see how competitive I'm feeling when the trainings starts in December

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

toby3 the smart money says you will go for sub 3.30 lol. How could you not! By the way if you make it to 3.15 you are at the good for age time for London!

I did my first recovery run after the London marathon today. Stiff for the first 10 miles then completely free'd up after that. Only did 2.5 miles at a slow pace but feel better now than when i set out. 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Too sore from shredding yesterday to run today image
  • Fartlek session for me tonight! Ergh that was horrible! My legs aren't approaching the extra training with the same enthusiasm as my mind! Going to do the weekend runs in my plan slower this week as I think I am paying the price for getting carried away at the weekend and running a lot faster than my trainer told me to!
  • With regards to speed training - I went from a 1.42 half to a 1.21 half in a year (1.21 on a harder course, hastings, too). I attribute alot of this to speed work.

I won't bore you with too many details, but I am a strong advocate of making your longer runs "hard", rather than "easy". Also of 30 minute "Tempo" runs and plenty of short intervals.

Forget "Junk miles", make every bleedin' mile count!

• On reflection it would be daft to miss out on doing this marathon for the sake of £10 or even £20.  So before the 17th May I shall sign up at £60.  Was a bit of a shock to see the price but I don't know what it costs for London now.  My last marathon was in 2001 when it would have been cheaper.  Given all the road closures etc and all the organisation (which is very good) plus the feel good factor of finishing, the entry fee is a bargainimage.

£30 for the Brighton Half?!  Ooo-eeer!image

Half the distance, half the price.  Simples! image

• envierose - The best plans are the ones designed specifically for you, your ability and your lifestyle. Try and use a basic framework and build it yourself around those factors. Based on 3 days rest per week, I would suggest In a 2 week period: 8 sessions made up of: 2x Intervals, 2xTempo(20-30mins), 1xLSR(1hr+), 1xFartlek(30-45mins), 2xStrength/Mobility

tillstar - if you're working on speed over the summer, I would normally cut right down to the fundamentals and reduce the mileage even more. Improving your 200m/400m time will help your 1 Mile time. Improving your 1 Mile time will help your 5K time. 5K 10k Half see where I'm going with this?

I'm a PT/Running coach myself, so I think it's great that you've sought an expert to help you one-to-one! envierose - it's worth investing in a bespoke plan as much as it is a good pair of trainers image

Green Fairy - Good for you & Good luck image I did Brighton Half last year and they cocked up the course distance - well spent £30!!!

• Morning all

did 3 miles in the end as a recovery run on the treadmill walk 5k run 5k as my legs were complaining will probable do 10 on Friday and then go out with Poohbaer on Saturday if I'm awake as i have stock take at work on Friday night

it dose seem strange not following a plan of some sort or another but at the moment I'm just running what i fancy does make a nice change

• Thanks for the advice mrsoutham that seems to make sense, cheers!
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    MrSoutham wrote (see)

With regards to speed training - I went from a 1.42 half to a 1.21 half in a year (1.21 on a harder course, hastings, too). I attribute alot of this to speed work.

I won't bore you with too many details, but I am a strong advocate of making your longer runs "hard", rather than "easy". Also of 30 minute "Tempo" runs and plenty of short intervals.

Forget "Junk miles", make every bleedin' mile count!

You've said that you're a Personal Trainer/Running Coach, and your PB improvement is certainly very impressive. - but the advice to make all your long runs "hard" rather than "easy" sounds like bad advice to me - it is contrary to the all the Sports Science advice that I've read. 

But you're ahead of my lesser qualifications... and maybe I'm misunderstanding something.  

Also, the advice to forget "junk" miles should really be made more specific.  I'm sure you don't mean that people should drop easy recovery runs from their training programmes (well, I think I'm sure you don't mean that)....  but there's a danger that people may construe it that way.

Do you see your advice as "against mainstream"?  Do you think I'm misunderstanding something?

• It is a fairly bold statement, I should be more specific.

Of course you aren't going to set out on a Long Run at your 5K Race pace, but what I mean by this is that when you finish any run, it should "feel hard". If you know the distance or time of a LR, for the first half at least you should always be able to just about hold conversation. The second half, perhaps not or at least chopped. Also for this situation, a Long Run is ~60-90 minutes.

"The mainstream" usually juggles from Volume Speed Volume every so often based on new theories from the sport scientists. It is good that we adapt our methods based on scientific knowledge and not media hype and advertising. At present for the elite it is actually suggesting that volume is the way to go in order to improve running economy. But for the majority of the population, we aren't even economical over 1 mile - let alone 26. This is why I recommend shorter mileage, higher intensity, and alot of focus on improving shorter distances as a priority. Take our top runner Mo Farah - he started out with 1500m/3000m and every few years stepped up a distance. He doesn't run fast without practicing to run fast.

To quote Steve Lisgo (a distance runner) from an interview "the difference between what we do at Butler and what is the norm here in the U.K (session Tues, Thurs, Sat, Long run Sunday and easy 60/70 every other day) is we only do two sessions a week but supplement this with a very hard long run on a Sunday"

Obviously what works for one person isn't going to work for another - and nobody here is Mo and it is unlikely that anyone aspires to be, BUT we can always take knowledge from his history and the path he had to take to get to where he will be at VLM2014.

I would say whilst recovery runs may have their place - I would actually recommend for less experienced runners that *if* you have tired/sore legs then not to run at all but to swim or cycle instead for recovery.

• I won't derail the thread anymore into a debate because I doubt anyone wants that, I only wish to add an alternative perspective and of course I am happy to defend it.

I have completed a BSc in Sport Science with a Dissertation on Distance Running Pace Strategies. Of course this does not mean I am any more "right" than any other advice - only to inform you that I am not setting my entire knowledge-base on a case study of "one".

On another note - I hope everyone can get out for a run today before the cold weather returns this weekend!

• MrSoutham - Thanks for the advice. I completely agree that training plans should be adjusted to suit the runner - and I like the idea of a 2-week training cycle, rather than squeezing everything in to 1 week. I'll keep looking around, try out a few different sessions and put together a plan that way. Not sure I can afford to have a personalised plan drawn up for me (or a trainer to coach me!) but I think trial and error can have its advantages in the long term.

• MrSoutham wrote (see)

On another note - I hope everyone can get out for a run today before the cold weather returns this weekend!

I'll hoping it cools down for the weekend, as I have a HM and I'm not used to all this warmth and sunshine.

Regarding making long runs 'hard':  I tend to do my 'long' runs now with a target pace rather than just ploding along to get the miles in.  Not necessarily all 'hard'  Sometimes doing final 5-10miles at MP, or maybe running the whole distance at a set pace ie MP+30s as mental training for concentration.  I generally try to mix it up a bit.  Also give me a bit of focus and stops me getting bored.

• My new foam roller has just arrived in the post, keen to try it out to ease the ongoing ITB pain that I have had from since before BM 2013 ... I will report back in a few days.

It does make me chuckle as it just looks like a short, fat children's swimming woggle image

• Forgot to ask - anyone live in the Salisbury/Southampton/Portsmouth area and would recommend where to get proper gait analysis etc for a new pair of shoes ? Lots of people have recommended Alexandra Sports in Southsea (Portsmouth), just wondered if anyone has any alternate suggestions.