Options

Dublin Marathon 2013

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks adog woof for that explaination...

Very sad to hear of that guy who died...brings it home that even though its a great sporting event it still has its dangers..

My prayers and sympathy for his family...r.i.p...
  • Options

That's such sad news about Ricki Savage.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

• Options

Someone died in similar circustances at the Barcelona Marathon this year when I did that race

• Options

Hi guys sorry about the delay, didn't get back from Dublin till Tuesday. I did great ironholgs. 3:31:33!!! So happy with that a new PB and its a race I recommend to do. Huge crowd turn out and well organised

For more details about my Dublin adventure see my blog

http://sjpc14.wordpress.com

Just quickly scanning through your posts, will read them all tomorrow. But it sounds like a lot of you got your target times and also want to go on and do other marathons. So that's great news.

Shame about the fellow who died. Perhaps he had a undiagnosed heart defect....will be interesting to find out what happened. Hopefully not another one taking performance enhancing substances!!

• Options

Have now rad all your messages, sounds like the majority had a good race. Sorry to hear about your injury Anne, that's such a pain!! _ no pun intended. I hope you recover soon and im glad you had a good time despite it

I have to say, I actually like race expos but then there is no running shop in Preston, so they only time I get to mingle amongst such things is when I need new trainers and at races

• Options
    Back to work tomorrow..physically feeling better..might put a few light runs in next week..purely recreational from now till xmas..my schedule for next year at the moment is

March 1st-carlingford 10k

April27th-armagh 10k

May24th-newry half marathon

Mid sept-belfast half marathon

Oct-dublin marathon....

Im sure most of you will be on here from mid june next year like myself exchanging our training and strategies and a bit of banter...so all take care and keep running.......
  • Options

you doing Dublin again next year shane, you must be hooked and I cant blame you.

I am thinking now its time I headed to Wales and took on their biggest marathon , other than that there are couple of races local to me im looking at including a boxing day run out and also a half marathon year new year.

Still a tad sore today, but feeling a lot better. Going for my first run back in a couple of hours.

• Options
    Am indeed SJCP14..i really enjoyed it apart from my knee pain flaring up..but will incorparate a lot of core strength exercises in my routine to try and eradicate that problem...

If yourself or anybody want to hook up on facebook and keep in contact that way my name is shane mc sherry..my profile pic is me and my cous proudly showing off our medals...
  • Options

Good running, SJPC14, and a fantastic PB.

My calf injury was just one of those things, I guess. I was amazed to come in under 5 hours after having had to walk for so so many miles. I'm glad I ran the last 2 miles quite hard to do this as it feels as finishing in under 5 hours is a psychological boost. It was a pretty decent time considering how much I had to walk. Saying that I did have a few bouts of running during that time just to check if my had miraculously healed itself.

It's getting better and I have a physio appointment on Tuesday so hopefully it won't keep me from running for long.

• Options

Im not on facebook shane, but im on twitter with the same user name as here sjpc14 - so feel free drop me a line that and same for the rest of you. Its been a very supportive and informative forum group ive found. Usually you get one negative nutter, but this time that didn't happen here.

I have to admit, the crowds were amazing in this run and Ive done the Great North and London and this event fits in the same bracket as them. I can see why its getting bigger each year.

Thanks Anne, it was tough towards the end so thanks to all those that warned us of the hills!! You did really well to finish despite your injury you should be proud of yourself and im sure your return to right the wrong one day.

• Options

Hi All - just got back after R&R in Galway spa - much needed break !  

I finished in 4h 28m - 18 minutes quicker than my previous PB so was pleased with this but was hoping to get closer to the 4hr mark.  My trusty Garmin 305 decided not to work ( couldnt get a satellite fix ) then when it did start working in phoenix park it turned itself off & i didnt notice for a mile.  I then had to run using the time clocks and the pace setting on my 305 to work out how i was doing.  I got to 20 miles in 3h 15m ( i also suffered in the wind ) and then seemed to get slower & slower & slower....running the last 10k in 73mins !!  I too thought this was a fantastic event, the crowds were great, the organisation was excellent....... i might be tempted to have another go next year  ( and the trip to Galway & Connemara this week was fun !  )  

I am a little achy still & havent done anything more strenous than lift a Guinness or three, i promised myself a complete week off...but might hit the gym & treadmill on monday.  

My next event is Wokingham Half in Feb & then Brighton Mara in April.  

Hope all are recovering nicely !

• Options

well then on the news PB monty , 18 mins brilliant stuff!! Don't beat yourself up too much about fading, it a be a good learning experience and you did have watch issues. I am sure your will chop your time down to sub4 one day.

• Options
    Well done monty..you will crack that sub 4 soon with that sort of improvement..

SJCP14..havent got twitter but when i get sone time away from two very attention seeking kids ill register and look you up..
  • Options

Well done, Monty. That wind was really tough in places - especially up from Kilmainham Gaol along the that long slightly upwards 'drag'. I really loved running through Phoenix Park.& ChapelIzod. the last 2 miles were fab too - loads of support.

See you at Brighton, Monty. it's my 'home' marathon and I've run every one so far. The support is phenomenal. 3-4 deep along the main part of the seafron just before/after the half way mark.

Be prepared for a couple of hills & some cliff top undulations in the first 8/9 miles.

• Options

Cool no worries Shane and yes I imagine balancing a family and running is tough going

Brighton sounds pretty amazing!! Good luck with that Anne and Monty

• Options

Although it's a 'young' race it has already been classified as a bronze medal race by the IAAF and quite rightly so as it's exceedingly well organised. Residents have really got behind the marathon in a big way. Lots of sweets etc on offer and along the leafy residential section there are usually several houses blaring out music to keep us runners entertained.

• Options

Really! Bronze already, might have to do it one day then!! he he -  Quite liking doing a different county each time though....

Good to hear the crowds are getting behind it, that's what can make or break an event

• Options

Hi Monty - I couldn't get satellites for the first 5 miles either - really frustrating! I'm probably a bit dependent on my garmin, but just stuck to the pacers like glue until it kicked in again!

Hope recovery going well, and good luck for Brighton!

• Options

Recovery going nicely thanks Scoopy - 4 miles last night on treadmill / 3 miles tonight followed by 30 mins weights.  Still got a few sore bits but getting there !  

SJPC14 -  BTW - really enjoyed the Race Blog....you really caught the atmosphere.  

I am thinking of treating myself to a new toy - my garmin 305 has done some miles but is getting unreliable !  

• Options

I really want the Garmin 620, Monty!

Leg update - it was my posterior tibialis that went pop during the marathon (not calf) but my sports therapist has said I can try a gentle run at the weekend. The treatment was very painful last night. But no pain no gain...

• Options

Thanks Monty, although it a slow down now its all over and done with. Might stick with it and then up things at my next marathonm

Glad your making a come back Anne, im pretty much heeled up from the marathon just have a sore hamstring mind. Still its was worth it!

I might have to buy a GPS watch, they seem quite handy.

• Options
    Hi all.hope everyone recovering well...ive still slight knee pain yet and have not done any running since marathon but have penciled in sunday morn for a 6-7 miler nice easy paced and see how knee reacts...getting over the post marsthon depression now lol...anyone planning on another crack at it next year?

Also have written my letter to santa for a nice garmin running watch..
  • Options

Hi All, good to hear the stories everyone has from Dublin. Going back out again tonight, first time back since last Monday, only doing a few miles this week. Looking into doing my next marathon in April in the Curragh in Kildare, I must be mad!

• Options

Ive published a look into my training stats from Dublin, if any one is interested with some supprising finds when i compared things against my previous training i did for the Preston Guild

http://sjpc14.wordpress.com/