Options

Frankfurt Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

it couldn't have been the wurst salad you've ever had

/coat

• Options

I'm in for the breakfast run, although after Berlin I seemed to walk for 7 miles afterwards. I won't be making that mistake again.

I'm also arriving on the Friday but a night out with you on the same weekend as a marathon sounds pretty messy to me Stephen Malcolm! Johnas's idea of wrapping yourself in cotton wool sounds the best idea. I understand Germany is full of fetishists!

Johnas +1 ? Polly changed her mind? image

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

No, Polly hasn't changed her mind - it's a guy from my coaching group who's not on RW 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Blimey, that Apostles bar is about 2 miles from where I'm staying. (I thought I would be sensible and book a hotel very near the start/finish).  Not sure I'll be able to hobble that far!

• Options

Wardi, I'm staying at NH Frankfurt Messe, about 20 metres from the start. The U4 goes between the Festhalle underground and Konstablerwache which is a 4 minute walk from the pub, and a 1 minute walk from the Saturday night restaurant. S4 travels from the S Bahn Station.

Paul, since Richard stopped doing marathons, the beer intake is vastly reduced, and my performances have goy worse.

• Options

I think most of us seem to be in the NH Frankfurt Messe. Johnas and Stephen Malcolm like the challenge of testing tired minds navigating foreign tube systems! It takes the mind of the sore legs and means you have a gap between finishing running and beer.

• Options

Hello everybody image

Nice of so many of you to reappear all of a sudden and for Joolska to turn up here at last image

Sounds like you have all had pretty decent weekends of running and that there were some good warm up races along the way too. image

The Glasgow half went pretty well all things considered.  I did find it quite unusual to be in a Glasgow half that wasn't a guided tour of the roughest housing schemes, industrial scenes and the "murdur" scenes in Taggart.  It seemed quite odd running past nice stuff on the way round!!!!! I must have ran OK I was only 3 miles behind Haile when he was passing the 7 mile marker.  The only disappointment was the celebrity starter.  I'm not sure the Olympic rower Kath Grainger was really a like for like replacement for Jimmy Saville who always started the Glasgow half.  Ken Barlow and DLT must have been busy. image

I got round in 1:28:49 which wasn't too bad.  I started miles back and did a bit of bobbing and weaving through the crowd which my ankle didn't like very much but once I got running it felt pretty good.  The lack of proper road miles was starting to catch up with me by about 10 miles in and it was a bit of a struggle to the finish but there isn't much I can do about it.  Ankle was certainly good for a few more miles so I will certainly make it to Frankfurt and should (fingers crossed) get round in one piece. It was a bit stiff and painful last night and this morning but nothing I couldn't walk about on for 9 hours at work and eased off once I got going. Not expecting miracles time wise in Frankfurt but you never know you sometimes surprise yourself when the pressure is off a bit.  Overall I went to run in crowds......tick......road test ankle.....tick and run a reasonable time......tick it was a bit faster than I meant to go to be honest........mission accomplished. image

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Joolska

PCleasby

Stephen Malcolm

Johnas + 1

C33

Wardi + 1

DJ + 1 please. What time do you intent meeting?

Just got to get Chicago out the way firstimage

• Options

Joolska

PCleasby

Stephen Malcolm

Johnas + 1

C33

Wardi + 1

jwheezy

Another for the list will be great looking forward to this and then a nice recovery!

happy tapering to all!

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Sorry to gatecrash, if you dont mind.

We are staying at Mövenpick Hotel Frankfurt City
    Den Haager Strasse 5 
    60327 Frankfurt Am Main.

I'm hopng for sub 3:30 and my wife sub 4:15

• Options

Joolska

PCleasby

Stephen Malcolm

Johnas + 1

C33

Wardi + 1

DJ + 1 please. What time do you intent meeting?

Sorry DJ, caught by the phone mid post.

good question on timing And good luck for Chicago! I have flat Eindhoven this weekend. 

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Hi JWheezy,

Good luck too for Eindhoven. I have run Amsterdam and enjoyed that immenselyimage

• Options

Thanks DJ, I ran Amsterdam last year and hated it, but have run Rotterdam 3 times and loved, it so hoping Eindhoven is a happy mediumimage,

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Isn't Rotterdam very industrial? I have considered running there, can you recommend a good hotel near to race start?

• Options

I wouldn't describe it as industrial (not the centre in any respect) it's one of the largest ports in the world (but not in your face) it's more now known as a major financial centre,  lots of hotels for all budgets, I've stayed in the best western and Nh hotels when not staying with friends, all city centre. Not as much to do as Amsterdam or Den Hagg, but enough to do over a weekend and excellent shopping and transport links and most importantly an amazing marathon!

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Thanks Jwheezy

It's now a must doimage

• Options

Rotterdam is nice and small in a good way and so most hotels are within a mile of the centre, the airport is only 2.5 miles away although very expensive, but high speed rail linking rotterdam to Eindhoven and Amsterdam.

• Options

Let me know if you need more specifics!

• Options

Jwheezy - give my love to Eindhoven, I've run it three times and got my fastest three times. The finish is fun. Nearly got lapped by Geoffrey Mutai there once! Am feeling all wistful now. If you have any questions do ask.e.g. There is a very convenient bus straight from airport to town centre, taxis not needed.

Feel a bit of a plodder compared to a lot of peeps here but hoping to sneak under 4:20 is the A goal.Must read back and see what all the arrangements are about. Anyhow have done last 20 miler + really looking forward to FF now. 

• Options

Thanks Fido2, I will pass on my regards, now intrigued about the finish!  Nothing at all wrong with a 4.20 finish time, it's all relative to our personal ability and drive!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Crikey, the thread goes quiet for a few days then we get a couple of chatterboxes showing up - welcome fellas!

SM.. thanks for the transport hints - actually Mrs Wardi has a magnificent sense of direction so I will leave navigation duties to her as she is merely spectating.  She didn't even get lost in Venice which is a major feat I can assure you.

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Hi Wardi,

Any idea what time we are meeting at the restaurant?

Also what time you hoping for in the marathon? Me sub 3:30, would love a sub 3:20 for GFA.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

DJ.. Johnas is in charge of the restaurant booking so I'm sure he will be along to inform.  Not too late as we will all want to be tucked up in bed for a good kip obviously.

Target.. I'm aiming for sub 3:20 (I'm 56 now so it's GFA or bust!).  I think 3:25 is more likely but I will see how it goes on the day.  I did 11 sub 3:15's in a row until 2010 but I can't do the high mileage of old at my age sadly.

Fido.. best of luck with the 4:20 attempt.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Welcome Jwheezy and DJWolf. Table is booked for 7.30pm 

Well done on the last long run Fido!

• Options

Just checking back in again boys n girls. Some great running go off on here and well done C33 on the Glasgow Half. Good to see that your holding up this but lets not nention Morton eh? Unless were going to discuss giant killing of course?

I'm a Sheff Utd and morton fan if the truth be known so I'm hiding beneath a rock for the foreseeable future.

Was going to run Weegieland on Sunday but got an offer from Lucozade to run the Royal Parks Half in London for free. Free and London works for me every time. Ran well and clocked up a nice PB of 1:13:47 and 5th place. So it looks like all is well although ankle is still sore if I turn on it but fine for running.

What's the pretzel run btw? I must check it out on the website. If it's anything like the Berlin breakfast run then its well worth doing.

• Options

Jwheezy, don't get too excited, the last couple of km are through the town centre and your name is on your number so the support is ace (aka a bit drunk ). Back in the good old days you went through there at halfway too which really gave you a boost, plus you could put your own drinks out and get them handed to you...sadly no more, hey how.

• Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Thanks Johnas.

Just a steady 3 miler for me today. 3 more tomorrow then fly out to Chicago Friday am.

See you 7.00pm ish.

Cheers

• Options

Thanks john as, will find my way for 7 or so.

Fido, I love city centre finishes, so am sure I'll enjoy the support,.

best of luck for Chicago dj.