Walking a marathon is easier?

Comments

• marathon i did in october about 99% of the runners walked at some stage.......if you watched the highlights on tv that included those on the podium.......image

several of my clubmates did london and had problems .....they were reduced to walking different aqmount of miles.they all came in within david magic 4 and as I said before a few came in just under 5 having ran all the way...

there isn't a right way or a wrong way.its going to hurt...

• dan lodge wrote (see)

I run a lot and I have completed a few 2hr 1/2 marathons, 10ks etc. Never ran a marathon. I beat my hm PB by 2 mins this year. If I ran a 5 hour marathon I would count that as a major achievment. In my opinion a marathon needs to be ran not walked, not walked at any point. If I walked or stopped even for a minute I would count it as a failure.

According to pace charts I should be able to complete a 4:30 marathon but I think on the day that would be very difficult. Kudos to anyone who completes one....as long as they dont walk or stop!image

Call me a failure then. The pain in my legs at 22 miles became unendurable, so I slowed to a walk but didn't stop. I felt like a failure at the time, but I've realised since that nothing could have stopped me from walking at that moment. To be honest, as a spectator I've seen people running well under three hours stop for a breather past 23 miles, so I'm struggling to work out whether those people 'failed' under your definition or not. Actually, no I'm not: your definition is poppycock.

• EKGO wrote (see)

given the choice I'd run a marathon rather than walk, walking resulted in blisters galore and more after-effects, maybe I'm just more used to running than walking. 

Aha, so I'm not the only one who finds walking long distances more uncomfortable!

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    dan lodge wrote (see)

I run a lot and I have completed a few 2hr 1/2 marathons, 10ks etc. Never ran a marathon. I beat my hm PB by 2 mins this year. If I ran a 5 hour marathon I would count that as a major achievment. In my opinion a marathon needs to be ran not walked, not walked at any point. If I walked or stopped even for a minute I would count it as a failure.

According to pace charts I should be able to complete a 4:30 marathon but I think on the day that would be very difficult. Kudos to anyone who completes one....as long as they dont walk or stop!image

According to pace charts.....

Good luck.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I didnt see any of the top 3 in the london marathon stop for a breather ..... just saying.

There were plenty of (non-elite) people who did pretty good times and walked through the last water station, though.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It would depend why you needed to walk, though - cramp, nausea, pulled muscle, total lack of training (not mentioning any names image), etc.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

if you need to walk at any point, it could be argued you never paced yourself properly.

Many factors are involved not just pacing.

Get out there and do one yourself, then come back and comment.

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

if you need to walk at any point, it could be argued you never paced yourself properly.

Or it could be argued that you really don't give a flying fuck what other people think................just saying

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

David, there aren't any rules except the ones you've made up.

• I wonder if david goes on the childbirth forums or the breastfeeding forums to inform everyone on how to do it and where they are going wrong......

I take it he can tell them that a cesarean is a failure if planned or not.and that if you take over x amount of hours then you are not trying hard enough........

imagine him as your birthing partnerimageimageimage

• EKGO wrote (see)

Or it could be argued that you really don't give a flying fuck what other people think................just saying

Couldn't agree more EKGO. 

Go onto a womans forum and give advice?

Im mad ...... not suicidal.

but you must have as much knowledge and experience of childbirth than you do about running.......so i'm sure you must beileve you are an expert on the subject

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I reckon your trying to get some sort of buzz out of the comments you are making and the responses you get.

Just showing up at the start line is more than many do. Just getting to the start line is a result, normally, of many weeks of training and sacrifices being made.

As I say get out there and do one then come back and comment.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Plus go and have a baby and then come back and comment on childbirth.

Ive seen the odd documentary ......... plus women say there is nothing more painful than childbirth ....... how convenient us men aren't able to test it, so we have no real way of knowing if its true or not.

Did you not see the video of the 2 dutch guys going through simulated labour???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/9824535/Men-scream-in-agony-during-labour-simulation.html

• DF3 -  Maybe you should go and try to climb Everest,  that would give the Forums a break from your informative comments for a while.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

David, there aren't any rules except the ones you've made up.

Im just trying to establish some ground rules that people can work from.

Because at the moment the only rule seems to be that as long as you cover 26.2 miles, then thats enough.

I put it to you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury that that alone isnt sufficient grounds to be considered an achievement.

I think the Jury will find, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are talking utter rubbish.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

I think the Jury will find, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you are talking utter rubbish.

I think it already has!

• yes these namby pamby times.when they pay men to sit on their arses in an office playing when they should be doing a real job....go and turn some soil DF....

the people who go up everest now are going up to experience what it is like there....to breathe the air and see the views etc......not to say o yes I have been up everest.....

its not the getting up there its the whole experience.......

you seem to be forgetting about the journey...and be careful you don't miss the journey that is life.....