Rome Marathon 2014

Comments

• MandM wrote (see)

thanks, in your experience how realistic these online calculators are? It must be hard to calculate prediction without knowing the type of training and more importantly weekly mileage?

Mc Millan´s calculator is known for beeing a bit too optimistic on the longer distances. I, and many others, have found this table to be more reliable:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050218085329/http://www.studenterna.nu/TRANING/OmvandTab.asp

• ROFL Stockholm.

McMillan is a wee bit optimistic but when push comes to shove there is just so much more time to screw up in a marathon. 

Some interesting stuff here about conversion from shorter times:

http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id209.html

And I am also a fan of www.feelrace.de,  which does you pacing with slightly negative splits. 

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    Stockholm Syndrome wrote (see)
    Mc Millan´s calculator is known for beeing a bit too optimistic on the longer distances. I, and many others, have found this table to be more reliable:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050218085329/http://www.studenterna.nu/TRANING/OmvandTab.asp

Wow, wish could understand all but nevertheless the table is frightening, a 1:44 half will get you over 4 hours marathon time, boy o boy. So to get my desired 3:45 (optimistic now) I must run sub 1:38 half, that is not possible with my current training/results so I could safely say goodbye to 3:45 image

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭
    Fido2Dogs wrote (see)

ROFL Stockholm.

McMillan is a wee bit optimistic but when push comes to shove there is just so much more time to screw up in a marathon. 

And I am also a fan of www.feelrace.de,  which does you pacing with slightly negative splits. 

These sites are eye opner to me, i just feel so depressed image.

• I think McMillan is broadly right re absolute potential, BUT you have to look at like for like: If your sample half marathon was run in Rome-like conditions, *and* you have trained as well for the full, *and* pushed as hard on the day...

More prosaically though there are upsides in that it’s possible to get performance improvements without getting faster as such... Sort of... By nailing down pacing (fast finish long runs, marathon pace mid-distance runs), losing a bit of lard if it's there (2 seconds a mile per pound! ), getting carb loading and in-race nutrition right (image but effective).

Ultimately at least we *can* all run so enjoy it - TBH the PB I micromanaged was nowhere near as fun as races I ran 5-10 mins slower but without expectations. 

• MandM: 1000 m = 1 km.

There is still quite much time before Rome so you can do some training. And as Fido2Dogs point out there are other varaibles that can affect your time in a positive way. To always take the shortest way is something I have tried to practice during my latest races to save time. See this article:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/03/racing-line-understanding-how-courses.html

• 11 weeks to go! Do two to three runs a week at the mo. Have completed 4 half marathons in the past but this will be my first full one. I'm not what you would call a fast runner right now so just hoping to get round! I'm also a little heavy. image If I can get 4:30 I'd be chuffed! I'd still be okay with finishing around the 5:00 mark as long as I get to cross that finishing line!

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

hi guys

just  aq quick chime in to say hello and belated HNY.

As you can imagine not much happened during the festivity so not much to report but hope to get back to routines soon.

• MandM wrote (see)

hi guys

just  aq quick chime in to say hello and belated HNY.

As you can imagine not much happened during the festivity so not much to report but hope to get back to routines soon.

Happy New Year to you too!

• Happy new year everyone! I stood on the bathroom scale this morning for the first time since december and found out that I have gained 2 kilograms during the weekends. With only 11 weeks to Rome, of which 3 are tapering, it is about time to do some serious training. Started with 15 km today and will go down to the boxing gym tomorrow. Then I will do a 20 km long run, a 8-10 km tempo run and another boxing class towards the end of the week.

Bring it on! image

• HNY all - worse things than putting on weight - I spent half a week with volcano gut, have LOST weight over Xmas, still not 100%. Would rather be round and running!

• MandM wrote (see)
    Fido2Dogs wrote (see)

ROFL Stockholm.

These sites are eye opner to me, i just feel so depressed image.

Don't be. McMillan Calculator worked perfectly for me. I did 3 marathons and all of them where within 1 minute of predicted time. It all depends on your weekly mileage. Generally, you should be doing at least 60 km per week to be able to predict marathon time. Otherwise it's pretty much lucky guess.

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Its has been quite here so assume all concentrating with their training progs! I have small setback (Shin Splints) hence have not been active on the 'forum' front' image could not really do much!

Anyway taking it easy as not a lot can be done in next 4 weeks.

Cheers

• MandM wrote (see)

Hi Guys

Its has been quite here so assume all concentrating with their training progs! I have small setback (Shin Splints) hence have not been active on the 'forum' front' image could not really do much!

Anyway taking it easy as not a lot can be done in next 4 weeks.

Cheers

Sorry to here that. Been trying to stick with plan, but a bad cold and a problem with my left foot has set me back a bit now. Doing what I can to catch up but don't want to over-do it and risk anything stopping me completing the marathon!

• Sounds reasonable, Scalesy. It is better to be a bit undertrained on race day than not being able to particpate at all.

I did the first of two 32 km (20 miles) runs yesterday and my training is peaking in the upcoming two weeks. Get hold of my medical certificate and uploaded it a couple of days ago so hopefully my registration is listed as complete soon.

Only five weeks to race day now... image

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Scalesy i am with you, its best to avoid over-doing it so close to the race, like you i have accepted that it will not be PB race, more like getting to the end somehow!!

Stockholm good to see that you are keeping up with your LSR, still cannot get my head around to that you can run a marathon on just two 20Milers!!!

What time you are aiming for?

• You can run one off 1 18 miler! But I wouldn't recommend it unless there was no alternativeimage
  • MandM: Well, I have done two 30 km earlier so it´s actually two 30 km and two 32 km (two 18 and two 20 miles). I hope to cut a few minutes from my PB of 3.40, so let´s say something like 3.37-3.38. How about you? image

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

ahhha, that make sense image.

I would love to go under 3:45 but with my current problem i would consider myself lucky to get to the end under 4 hours!!

It seems that the combination of rest/medication has improved things, i will do a few runs of up to 12K this week and if all goes well then will attempt that 18Miler next Sunday. BTW what sort of time you allow for your 30/32 K run?

• MandM: I just do the long runs in a pace that feels comfortable. This has usually been 5.50-6.00 min/km, but I did the last 32 km in 5.30 min/km. I hope this is a sign that my form is improving. image Will try to run the same pace for this 32 km aswell, but there seems to be a snowstorm coming in over Scandinavia thu-fri which may make conditions difficult during the following weekend. 

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

I tends to prescribed to this thought that LSR should not be about pace but how you feel on the day and adjust the pace accordingly, after all you will be on your feet for 3+ hours.

My last two 20 milers were 6:06 and 6:02 (KM) respectively but earlier in Jan I did a local half 1:43:30 so I was confident that sub 3:45 doable but since the injury I have lost all hopes.

Due to personal circumstances I can only do my LSR on Saturday, again it will be how I feel and more importantly if I can get to the end without irritating my shin!

Wish you have best of weather on Sunday.

• I'm a tiny bit worried about my long distance training ahead of next month's race.

My longest runs recently have been 18 and 21 miles over the last six weeks, and running 30+ miles a week, but I don't think I'll have time for another long run before the 23rd. 

This weekend I'm away, then on the 8th I'm doing Milton Keynes half marathon, and the following weekend is only a week before the marathon! Do you think I'll be alright? Should I stick on a few more miles after MK?

I've done one marathon before (Paris last year) and definitely hit the wall and had to walk a bit (came in at 4hr15) but REALLY don't want the same to happen again. I'm much fitter now, just slightly worried that my long distance trainng hasn't been great.

Anyway, enough of all that, who's keen for a drink after the race?

• Ta-pe-ring! Just back in from my final 32 km/20 miles run so now the hard work is done. image

Robin: I would recommend you to take it easy after your HM. With only two weeks to Rome it is not much you can do anyway. I was in the same situation last year when I did the Stockholm HM two weeks before Berlin marathon and I hardly tied my shoes between the races. Did a PB in Berlin anyway.

BTW, I also hit the wall in Paris last spring so I know what you´re talking about. Everything was fine until 32 km when things started to feel a bit uncomfortable. At 35 km all energy was gone and I could barely finish the race. The medics had to assist me after the finish line. And NO, neither do I want it to happen again...

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Robin I’m no expert on in this area so I refrain from commenting, guess what Stockholm has said probably make sense.

oh yes Ta-pe-ring, that started for me since my injury so not much of difference for me to be honest. Anyway like you stockholm i did my final LSR 18 miles, took it easy as i did not want to aggravate the injury, took lots of walk break in the later part of the run. My Shin was in agony after the run but the combination of Ice and medication helped to ease of the pain.

It appears that injury is holding back a bit so I should be able to get across line, the strategy is to start off slow, well very slow indeed and evaluate the situation as the run progresses, unsure if the cobblestones will have any saying on my injury?

Happy tapering guys and best of luck Robin for the MK half.

Stockholm, did the storm played any part in the LSR?

• MandM: The forecast was changed during the week so the storm never came. image

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Hi All

As we descend towards the big day lets hope that all our long-ish runs are now out of the way without any prob. I did mine over the weekend and managed a respectable 15miler in 2:45, I know its not what I wanted but with the injury I am carrying I was over the moon that I actually managed to run that far without aggravating the injury, time to take it easy.

Anyway all best to all who are running the race and hope you achieve your desired target, do come back and report how you got on, I know I will image.

All road leads to Rome!

• MandM: Nice to hear that your injury is better!

This year's route map has been presented. If I understand things correctly the big change is that the race does not start and finish at the Coliseum but a few hundred meters/yards further on:

http://www.maratonadiroma.it/PWA_uploads/percorso-2014-big.png

It has apparently been a registration record as well with 19061 runners signed up. Given that the track appears to contain some pretty sharp turns I suspect that it may get crowded on parts of the course.

Does anyone know anything about the aid stations and what energy drink they serve? I have only found out that they are by 5 km intervals but nothing about what they serve.

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Hello

Hope you guys had good race, unlike mine it was shite, finished under 4:20, so pretty annoyed with myself. Anyway it was fantastic to run the rome marathon, had it been dry it might have helped and like SS anticipated it was certainly crowded on parts of the course.

Let us hear all about your experience.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Did not really have race head on when it came to it so just trotted round and tried to push thoughts about stopping for an espresso half way to the back of my mind...

The local runners really love their club tracksuits - you don't get clumps of clubmates trotting round the VLM expo in Serpies/Wrekin RR/whatever kit but in Rome... and as the OH said, "the blokes are a lot less shy about lycra shorts", yes, the to-the-knee lycra compression gear was quite popular. 

On race day you got a lot of folk taking selfies/pics of their clubmates ... midrace ... let no-one accuse the Italians of not making the most of things.

All the tales about having to queue at the drinks tables while not-enough-volunteers tried to fill cups (CUPS!) with sport drink (Gatorade, which I find very inoffensive - high praise for this type of thing) are true. But I did find a free portaloo en route with loo roll, and another one free courtesy of the fact that it was dirty - me, I went in, cleaned it, used it, being less of a dainty soul...

The cobbles - setts - I was worried I would turn my ankle but had no problems. They weren't big on midrace cleanup though and by the sponge stations it was very soft underfoot image

I don't think the lady on the medal was wearing a sports bra tsk. 

Not a great deal of support but obv. pretty scenic.

I would say a nice day out but not the first port of call for PB hunters. Now have THREE bags which are very handy...