So what's everyone doing now then?

Having made my marathon debut over the weekend, I'm now pretty sore, especially my quads. I went for a gentle jog and stretched yesterday but that hasn't really helped.
Does anyone have any advice on marathon recovery, what training I should/shouldn't be doing,  and how long I should leave it before racing again?  

Comments

• I read somewhere that you shouldnt look to run till at least the weekend, non impacxt exercise should loosen the muscles up a bit, try swimming or cycling. I too finished my maraton debut at the weekend so hats off to you mate. Im itching to get back out too. Recommend not running just yet though

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Have a look at RW recovery schedule and also VLM web site. If you feel really bad, rest is in order otherwise whatever you do do little, gentle and stretch afterwards.

• Easy swimming and cycling for active recovery can be beneficial to get a bit more blood to recovering muscles - I think a week with no running is probably wise and then only light to begin with.

Personally my aches seemed to to peak last night although I'm still quite sore - I'm planning an easy swim on Thursday and easy bike on Friday - and then as far as I'm concerned, it's triathlon season at last image

• Massage today, no running until next Monday, lots of good food and rest.

• uum, I was in tha Asics store 10am yesterday on their treadmill. Probably another rule of thumb broken. bugger.image

• I wish I lived in a bungalow.

• 1st plan for a run will be Sunday.....Chester the next challenge!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Need to learn to walk again.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

After you've mastered walking, 15West, you'll be ready to move on to stairs. Ouch.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I walked up 88 steps this morning during my four mile walk to work.  Tomorrow I'm hoping to progress onto walking down stairs, but I'm not making any promises.

• SesamoidSesamoid ✭✭✭

I'm currently cursing myself for being a Marathon idiot and not listening to everything I've learned over the last 3 years!

Apart from that, couple of easy cycling sessions this week, wee 6 miler on Sunday if legs have loosened off.....then back training for 1/2 in May.

Advice, just take it easy if you're still hurting.....next race - whenever you feel up to it!