Shorts or no shorts?

The below email prompted a debate in the RW towers and we want to get you involved. What are your thoughts; shorts or no shorts? 

"I’m in my mid 50s, and would like to think I dress sensibly for my age. But I’m puzzled: why do men wear shorts over their tights? I dont understand it. Is it trendy? Does it keep you warm? Is it for protection? Someone please explain it and put me out of my misery!"  

Comments

• CliveSCliveS ✭✭✭

I'm 57 and wear RonHill trail shorts. They are baggy, but have 'lycra inners'. Not sure why anyone would put shorts over full length tights though.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I'm 53 - have never understood why people do that - I either wear shorts, or if the weather is cold (ie minus) Ron Hill Tracksters but not with shorts.

• I'm not a man but I'm guessing that the shorts are worn over the tights to de-emphasise the nadger area?

In warmer weather I'm imagining you'd just wear the shorts.

• I bought tights and was happy to wear thim without shorts, but having seen so many people wearing shorts over the top I was worried I was making a grave faux pas and so have subsequently switched to shorts as well.....

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

I'm not a man but I'm guessing that the shorts are worn over the tights to de-emphasise the nadger area?

I think you're probably right, but it probably has the opposite effect!

A runner in tights is unexceptional; a runner in tights with a pair of shorts on top is a bit odd and may prompt more staring than if they had just left tinkering with the emphasis of their 'nadger area' well alone.

• I have worn lycra shorts for the last four years never even crossed my mind to wear shorts over the top. Seems pretty pointless, as for the nadger thing just always wear black lycra and unless you really look you will not notice any bulges.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ee422WAlL._SX300_.jpg

• Agreed Tommygun.

This is the sort of thing one needs to avoid....

http://webkit-fake-url://82F8F4C4-662D-45A5-814C-9DBDDF90FE28/application.pdf

• when it was freezing this winter i did have recourse to running tights. It does show off your cock n balls a bit. So I'd wear loose fitting shorts over them, to save my blushes and those of the poor folk i would jog past.

• i just wear lycra as above dont get any nadger problems!

(pudge, its not showing on my p.c)

if anyones that shallow to judge someone on what they are wearing then thats a bit sad!

• I'm wondering if this indicates that men are as sensitive about their nadgers as women are about their bums?

I'm wondering if this indicates that men are as sensitive about their nadgers as women are about their bums?

I've seen lots of women wearing shorts over tights - I assume to cover up their bums.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I only wear tights in the cold, and I find that they keep my legs warm but not the nether regions, so normally wear shorts on top for added insulation. A bad (and painful) experience of wind chill on a long, cold & wet, run made the case for extra layers.  The shorts also have additional pockets, which are handy for holding gloves and/or hat if these are taken off mid-run

I understand why some people think it strange, similar to superman's pants outside his tights, but I see more blokes with shorts over tights than just tights, and it doesn't matter to me either way. I suspect most non-runners would think I was mad for being out running in the winter anyway, so I don't think wearing shorts on top is going to alter that opinion.

• Ja5onW wrote (see)

i just wear lycra as above dont get any nadger problems!

(pudge, its not showing on my p.c)

It was just a picture of the Polish cycling team that did the rounds a while back.

Try this (second post down)

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/43229-new-polish-trial-forum/ 

• I occasionally wear shorts over my tights for long runs for the pocket. Tights tend only have a pocket big enough for a key.

• lol thats why I wear black lycra

• Coincidentally, a friend of mine posted on Facebook yesterday that she was passed by a, presumably rather well endowed, gentleman out running, who had, as she described it an "unruly hooded shlong rhythmically poking out from under the shorts".

Maybe for some it is a case of wearing tights under shorts rather than the other way round.

For me though it's shorts or tights, never both.

• stutyr wrote (see)

...but I see more blokes with shorts over tights than just tights

Do you really?  Its very rare I see any blokes doing the superman thing.  Although, come to think of it, I do tend to see very few tight-wearers compared to those in just shorts.

• Lou Diamonds wrote (see)

Coincidentally, a friend of mine posted on Facebook yesterday that she was passed by a, presumably rather well endowed, gentleman out running, who had, as she described it an "unruly hooded shlong rhythmically poking out from under the shorts".

At least the schlong was warm though, if it had its hood up.

• How quick we forget the winter. Penile frostbite is no joke. If three layers are needed on top why not two down below. I don't normally double up in the spring/summer
  • wouldnt dream of wearing shorts over my leggings! I'm 28 mind and couldn't give a damn if people could see my meat and 2 veg. I wear boxers underneath nad me trousers are quite tight. I even run into work and I feel a little concious but I think joe public expect to see runners in tight lycra image

• I often see blokes running in lycra shorts with normal shorts over the top.  I find it very odd.  Doesn't make sense at all.  Wear one or t'other.

I'm wondering if this indicates that men are as sensitive about their nadgers as women are about their bums?

It's more anticipating the sensitivities of the spectators really. I'd be perfectly happy to run naked but I doubt many people watching would appreciate it.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Tights maybe over shorts if it's cold. Always run in lycra shorts (Black as  per posters above) and just don't understand any benefit of shorts over tights. Each to their own tho!

• To keep warm you could  just wear another layer under the tights - if it's arctic I'll wear Y-fronts plus close fitting boxers then running tights. Definitely no shorts over tights. Lycra shorts under baggy shorts is just about acceptable IMHO, if the baggy shorts are too short!

• I think it's a footballer thing. I run past the Newcastle training ground most days and I see the footballers with leggings and shorts over the top.

I would never do this unless it was fancy dress, looks too much like Mickey Mouse!

• Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

It's more anticipating the sensitivities of the spectators really. I'd be perfectly happy to run naked but I doubt many people watching would appreciate it.

You never know image ;-)

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Shorts over tights is just wrong. If the tights don't keep you warm, then wear Tracksters or similar.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

When it's really cold I wear tracksters over shorts ... does this mean I'm weird?

• Only superheroes should where anything over their tights!

I have various thicknesses of tights to suit the conditions for winter trainng but have never felt the need to where anything over the top of them.