Bedford Harriers Oakley 12 & 20

Comments

• Not really Hilly, but a few tough undulations. Good preparation for London though. There is only water and I can't remember the goody from last year (think I was too shattered afterwards). The good news was that I felt a lot better after FLM so this was definitely good preparation.
  • Number arrived yesterday, it's 237. I'm doing the 20 mile route.
  • my number has arrived but forgot to note what it is - will remember to check tomorrow and do a little list.

very nervous about this one I have to say.
  • week to go. Off on a 15 miler training run in the rain tomorrow then gear myself up for the challenging undulations!

just one request to the organisers...no rain please and if possible no wind. I have kind of done that weather thing now!
  • Finally entered though it's been on my schedule for ages. Last Long One before London, and having got my firt 20 wrong (Bramley) hoping to get this right.

Anyone want to lift/taxi share from Station?

Good luck to all.

Nicholas
  • Does anyone know if there usually are places left on the day? It would be a long way to go for me if there aren't!
  • LakesLakes ✭✭✭
    According to our website, which I've just looked at, entries will be accepted on the day.

www.bedfordharriers.co.uk
  • Thanks Lakes, I rang and they said there is not normally a problem. Just seeing if I can get there now!
  • Anybody need a lift from Bedford Station? I can be there around 8.30-8.45. Let me know.
  • Hi,
    I phoned too as am hoping to enter on the day and they said it should be fine. Very nervous as it'll be my longest ever run. But like a lot of people, am doing it for flm prep, so sounds as if it'll be worth it (I hope so!!) The furthest I've ran in one go was 15miles at Banbury a few weeks ago, and that was really tough (partly because of the hills and the sleet!). Did 21 in one day last weekend but that was with a 3 hour break in between. Have been shattered all week though so hope my legs are up to it tomorrow..! See you all there.
    Tina
  • I seem to have the honour of the first post-race post on this thread.

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. The weather was perfect for a long run, and the course was excellent ... scenic, with a few painful hills (which were definitely steeper and longer on the second lap).

It was my longest ever run, and I got round without stopping in just over 3 hours, which I was very pleased with. It's certainly boosted my confidence for my first marathon in 4 weeks time.

Excellent organisation and marshalling, as is always the case with Bedford Harriers events.
  • Yep, I thought it was an interesting and scenic route. Nice not to have to plod round and round some dull town for 20 miles.

I managed 2:23:47 (unofficial) - more than happy as it was on the back of quite a hard few sessions this week.

MRF - Well done on your longest run. Good confidence boost and puts you on track for your first marathon.

Nice T shirt design too.

Cheers Bedford Harriers

MiB
  • Well it took me 2.41:39. I found it very hard going on the second lap. I may have gone out too fast as my half marathon time was 1.42. Does anyone have any idea how an Oakley 20 time might translate into an FLM time? I had dreams of a 3.30 but after today I think that's highly unlikely! Is everyone else tapering now?
  • Blisterboy
    Just run it through a predictor (see web addy at the foot of this) 2:41:39 = 3:37.41 (dunno how good this predictor is).

Oakley is rather hilly and as you say you may have gone off too fast.

I'm tapering from tomorrow (still plan an 18 next Sunday and some speedwork, but not at the recent level).

Don't give up your goal and god luck!

www.runningtimes.com/pace/predict.htm

MiB
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Hey MiB - you must have been just behind me - I clocked 2.23.13 (unofficial). We probably spoke (me=female in black hat).
    I agree, it was a great course, well marshalled and had accurate mile markers. Water stations were fab too, as were the longsleeved t-shirts. Thanks to all the organisers.
    Tapering from now on.
    Blisterboy - don't give up the hope of a sub-3.30, just because of one run. FLM won't be so hilly... What other times have you done recently? I'm aiming for 3.20ish.
  • Good, (not god) luck. Oops. No Blasphemy intended
  • Was really impressed with the organisation, marshalling, water stations etc. Made a hard run much easier! Agree it is a nice tee shirt.
  • Excellent race, very enjoyable. Very good race. I treated it as a training run only, and tried not to race, with London so close, and just scraped in under 3 hours (2.57) as opposed to a best of 2.34. The weather was perfect really, and it was nice to speak to some friendly souls out there. I liked the tee shirt too.

Thanks to Bedford Harriers.
  • Well, I finished in 2:37:57 (unofficial).
    Very good organisation and marshalling - a real credit to Bedford Harriers. Course was excellent - scenic and underlating without being too cruel!

Likewise, with Blisterboy I hoping for a sub 3:30 FLM but think I'll be a few minutes the wrong side. 7 weeks of reduced training ceratinly doesn't help. Ho hum.

Tapering starts tomorrow. :-)
  • Had a great time, thanks to all the marshalls and friendly runners who made a painful 20 miles much nicer. It's the furthest I've been so far in training for the FLM, so I'm proudly wearing my T shirt (came in at 3.19 btw, and got lapped by the elite runners! But only a few!) Thanks also to the army guy at the 2nd last water stop (did anyone else get confused by that not being anywhere near 18 miles) who had no idea how much further it was, but did think it was 'not far'!
  • pipes i was just behind you too, 1.24 remember you passing me with about3 miles to go, saw you pushing hard and kept on your tail good run
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Thanks Danny - you too.

PS photos are now up on http://www.derekhaden.com
    - you have to search through 52 pages worth, but that's pretty quick service.
  • Well done everyone.
    Couple of hills were killers, but got to the end.
    Congratulations Bedford Harriers for a friendly, well organised race.
    Felt very safe running round the lanes of Beds.
    Even nicer to see some men in uniforms as well.(The older ones, not kids, that is)!!

Did anyone see the guy dressed in a chef's outfit flipping a fake pancake in a frying pan?
    What was that all about?
    Was this a dress rehearsal for FLM?
  • pipes saw mine i am 155, how about you? they went on there quick, didn,t they
  • Great race, well organised and marshalled thanks to Bedford Harriers. An ideal build up to the FLM and I'm now feeling more confident after todays race. Finished in 2:54:30 so very pleased as I was aiming for sub 3. Saw the pancake man...and Graham Taylor (ex-England footy manager for those not into their football) but only at the start. I know he's doing London anyone know how he got on today?
  • I saw Graham Taylor finish a few minutes after me Jonah - I guess his time was 3.35 ish
  • I got round in 3:22. Aiming for 10 minute miles so not bad for a fat bloke.

Graham Taylor finished in about 3:36, slightly off his 10.5 min/mile pace for London, apparntly. Thoroughly nice bloke.
  • Thanks for the comments everyone.

MIB: Did 2.04 for 16 at Kingston last week which was pancake flat but with v. strong winds. I found it a lot harder this week but I reckon the legs were still a bit tired. Hopefully with three easy weeks I'll be able to keep the sub-8min miles going a little longer for the big one.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    danny - mine is photo 164 (again, wearing hat). I must've been behind you at that stage.
    How is everyone this morning? My knee is bad so I'm walking down the stairs sideways...but other muscles are fine.
    Results are up too on the bedford harriers website.