Bedford Harriers Oakley 12 & 20

1235»

Comments

• Pipes - Yes, we did speak I think. Hope you felt OK after. Good running - Did you fet 4th place? Best of luck and nice to meet you

MiB

• Sorry your knee painful Pipes. It's my hip with me, although I did manage a very slow 7 miler this morning. Just about to take some ibuprofen.

I spoke to Graham Taylor too, who was very friendly. My 8 year old son, who is football mad was most impressed that I met him!
  • All the best for the knee Pipes. I remember you saying it was sore at the finish.

I feel OK if a little creaky on the ol' legs. I'm going to have a nice long stretch again later followed by a gentle 3 or 4 miles.

MiB
  • Morning all

Very achy today - right knee has seized up! Enjoyed it up till about mile 17 and then just wanted it to end !

Nice route though and thanks to all the marshalls!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I was due to do 20 but wimped out and did 12! Had a great day though (cos I only did 12). Where can I find photos please anybody?
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • http://www.derekhaden.com photos

Hi Birdy.....glad it went ok. Can sympathise about the knee, my right one is saying "no more long ones!" Except FLM of course!
  • Not sure I'll look at the photos! Remember grimacing at someone with a camera so thats going to be nice!

AJH we have sympathy knees! Hope you enjoyed it...well as much as possible under the circumstances!
  • I did look at the photos. Wished I didnt! One day I will look at a running photo of me and think oooh thats nice. Maybe.

Yes did enjoy it if only for the fact that I completed it!
  • Top day yesterday, and glad to hear that everyone else enjoyed it too. Finished in 2:39, so fingers crossed I should be on for my 3:30 in FLM....just! Big thank you to the organisers, and special mention to all the stewards who were really genuinely enthusiastic and encouraging. Trust me, it was appreciated!
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the race, however suffering today as knees are killing me and I can hardly get down the stairs.

Can't find race results yet on Bedford Harriers site and I'm sure someone said they were already up in an earlier post.

Thanks to Bedford Harriers for a very well organised race superb!!
  • ER, I Didnt get a t-shirt where were they?
  • Thanks to all - I did the first 12m on schedule (8:30) but then really slowed for the next 8 and finished 3:57. Almost all my training is on the flat so hills are a problem.

Just one suggestion for organisers (of this and all other long ones): do mark out the last stages of the last mile. 3/4 1/2 1/4 and 200m would be ideal.

Many thanks to all - and good luck for FLM!
  • they were handing them out in the hall before the event and after I think?

• Nicholas, I think you mean 2.57. Looking at the results, you were 22 seconds behind me.

n007, get in touch with Jacinta, and I'm sure you will get sorted out with a tee shirt.
  • Ooh dear - I have to tell you this: I decided to try something different for this run: 9 min miling (my best half m pace) with 1 minute walk breaks in between.

Got to the half m point at 2:03 and was fine through 15 (my split time there (2:25) was 12 minutes better than my only other 15 mile event in Feb this year).

Then it went wrong . . . . knee hurt, arch of foot hurt, left hip hurt. Took a longer break and couldn't get going again.

Had to walk most of the last 4 miles with terrible cramp (quads & calf - probably because I had stopped and got cold).

Finished in 3.33.

So maybe I won't be walk-running my next marathon . . . !!
  • nice picture pipes, shame you weren't on your own, looking nice and relaxed! knee wasn't hurting then? hope its going to be ok for flm, only three weeks are you running with rw pacemakers?
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Hope people's knees/ hips are easing up. Did anyone else try the cold bath tactic?!
    My knee isn't too bad today, so long as I don't try to bend it! But it was the same after the Banbury 15 two weeks ago so I'm not bothered. Three weeks should be enough recovery before FLM.
    MiB - yeah, did finish 4th lady...happy enough with that and almost 10 mins off the pb.
    Danny - yes, that's where my knee hurt most during the race...it eased up after about 12 miles. Probably won't run with pacemakers...I'm at the green start and don't know if there are any there. Plus I don't really know what I'm aiming for anymore - it was going to be 3.27 but I'm tempted to go a bit faster now.

Well done again to everyone on their runs and to the organisers...
  • Hi Pipes
    Yeah, I went for the cold bath too in the end, even though it was 90 mins before I got into it. I make it only 1 more cold bath before FLM thank goodness.

Glad you made 4th Lady - Very Well Done for that AND smashing your pb by a massive amount!! (round of applause).

Bit stiff today actually, usual hamstring tightness, but hopefully OK.

Very best of luck at FLM, you'll zoom round. Could be too warm for the hat though...

MiB
  • i have been running with beds harriers for some years now and know the team of orginisers and supporters will rearly chuffed with your coments i know they rearly work hard to put on a good event perhaps you all may want to try the great barford 1/2 around december another great chalengeing race go on and give it a try.
    007 give orginisers a call i am sure they can sort somthing out/ mr squirel are you loacal.
    think best part of total 600 runners finished the 12 and 20 mile races.
    see you all next year tell your freinds
  • Used to be localish, but now am exiled in Lincolnshire. Alas.
  • Cheers all and see you next year.

Fat Sqirrel: Must get some of the gang to come up to a race round your way somentime over the summer. Keep in touch mate.

MiB