Sunday 28th April 2013

Im gonna raise a fuss, I'm gonna raise a holler

This is one of my favourites....

Good morning everyone, I had quite forgotten that there are two 6:30's in one day.

Good racing, in UK and Spain, NZ and wherever. You know who you are.

Comments

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Morning blisters and all. image

Heading out for a loopy long run. On duty at work so staying close.

Hope all runs are good runs today. image

• Morning.

Have a good one Blisters!

Who else is racing today?

You'll have to do something about these weekends on duty when you take up your new position donaldo image

Paddy - I have six weeks to decide if it's going to happen - after which I start to lose percentages of the entry fee - but accommodation is already booked and Mark and a Danish friend of ours are entered.

What:           riding to local 10k and marshaling
    Why:            trying to give a little bit  back
    Last hard:     22/4
    Last rest:      27/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

What 9ish
    Why getting back on the road
    Lyrics no

Blisters all the best for Shakey today. Targets?

Thought I'd better get back before I start enjoying lying in too much. First 6 no problem but last 3 were with heavy legs so not quite back to normal yet.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were "Holding back the years", Simply Red.

Lyrics: no

What: Wearing a yellow bib. May get a little running in whilst doing so
    Why: helping at Greater Manchester Marathon

Enjoy your race, Blisters, and anyone else pinning a number on.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

LMH - I wish I could, I have two more before the end of June! 

14 miles done in a series of small loops within a 1 mile radius of the school. 1:50:36.  

20 mile race next Saturday, half marathon the weekend after then taper for two weeks. May is going to be a good month! image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Best of luck Blisters and other racers today!

RFJ: completely nuts, your Saturday image. I want your recoverability (if there is such a word) please!!

I ran a massive 2.5 miles yesterday. And 90mins on the bike. Great to be out there again and whatever I pulled in my quad on Thursday seems to have responded to RICE.

LMH: wow, 20 weeks sounds a mighty short time. Which IM event is it?

Next up for me will be as many 10k races in June as I can manage. There seems to be one every Sunday over 5 weeks. Then a 10 miler (the only one in Northern Germany as we don't really do miles) in September and hopefuly a 1:30ish HM on October 6. There, I've said it image

what: 3 miles
    why: I'm a marathoner, I must run
    last hard: resting
    last rest: Mon - Fri
    lyrics: no

Enjoy the marshalling ale and LMH image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Crazy loopy route today! 

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/route_zps840e57e2.jpg

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Dizzy Donaldo.....!

Chilling out this morning, may go out for a few miles later, will see how I feel.

Of to local running shop later to spend my spot prize from yesterday (a 2 for 1 voucher on trainers - not to be sniffed at and a potential saving of £85)

Race well today those who are competeing

• It's hailing image

What: rest
    Why: on call and longish run planned for tomorrow
    Last Rest: yesterday and the day beforeimage
    Last Hard: last weekend
    Lyrics: no

donaldo I call these spirograph or petal runsimage Well done for getting out.
    Go Blisters GO

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Go well Blisters!

Donaldo - a bit dizzying, that run!  On call is on call though.

Nice to see those who raced last week recovering without any major ill effects.  

LMH - 20 weeks sounds doable to me, barring illness or brokenness. The cv fitness will be there from the running, you've done the IM before, and so your body knows the job.  I think there is a lot in that.  When I first ran a half, my legs were in shock for about three months.  Three years later, I could knock off a half and be back running not much worse for the wear within  the week. First mara, body again wouldn't speak to me for three months.  The last two marathon lengths, I may not have been able to run them fast, but I could get run again by the end of the week. I reckon it won't take you long to get back to IM training at a level that you were accustomed to.

There is the mental bit of course.  I think heads need down time as much as bodies do.  The focus on getting out there, making every week of training count, is not easy.  While it is hard, it also feels good to be in training: to have the mind in control of the body, but I think it can be mentally dangerous.

Me?  Left long run too late, so it is a short run.  4 miles variable speed.  

Go well all.

• Morning! Good luck to all the racers image

What: 6 miles 'fast' which turned into the fastest I've ever run a 10k. Very proud of myself as was half trail half road and a bit hilly.

Why: Decided to do the last high intensity run before my 24km race next week. Ran it in 47 mins and felt like could have even put a fair bit more effort in... I know this is not fast compared to a lot of you but a PB is a PB right?! yahoo!

Last Hard: Wednesday

Last Rest: Thursday

Lyrics: I am actually a bit confused by this - is this what you listened to on your run or lyrics that signify your run or something completely different?

Have a fabulous Sunday everyone image

• Soelrunner - the lyrics are chosen by the first poster, often topical or something meaningful to them - but not always as after a few days of starting the thread that can get difficult. Then everyone else says whether they know what they are or not without giving the title away. Sounds as though you're running well - now recover before your race!

Needs must I guess donaldo.

Stickless - it's very doable though I could use an improvement in the weather. I can swim the distance at about the same speed as the last time I raced it and the run is obviously where it needs to be so I just need to find 112 miles on the bike from somewhere. Good to see you running.

chickadeee - you've not only said it but I'm sure you'll do it! I'm doing Challenge Almere in Holland in the  middle of September.

Alehouse - windy for my marshaling stint but stayed dry - hope you had at least as good weather.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello all...
    Don - pace certainly slower for xc, I reckon over 5 miles I'd be about 36-37 minutes or around 46 for 10km xc. On regular roads I'd expect around 33 (5m) & 41ish for 10k.
    It does depend how boggy the xc is though....
    RFJ - nice skills with the double race
    Yesterday - nothing. Youngest Swimming in Swindon (part 1) and had the whole array of weather coming back: sun, rain, bright sun, hailstones, sun, heavy rain. Its only 50 minutes...CBA to get out when we got home.....so....
    Today - 17.05 miles on the lanes, with a few hills for good measure. 2h20 
    why - 9 weeks to marathon
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - this morning
    Off to Swindon now for swimming part 2...

enjoy the rest of the weekend!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Much better marathon weather today, I was going to say, given that it was around 10 degrees for the first couple of hours. The wind then picked up so that may have an effect. Was only needed until 11, but there will still people coming through the 7 mile point after 2 hours. Managed to walk for over half an hour in addition to the couple of hours standing around. Then ran 23 minutes: both lower legs not quite right, but on the other hand it isn't many weeks ago that I would be pleased with running for even 23 minutes!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Lyrics: yes, fourth song I learned to play on the guitar.

Afternoon all. Belle Vue House 10k in Ormskirk this morning. Undulating at worst, mostly flat, mostly concrete except for a couple of dirt roads, some strong gusts but nothing bothersome.

I'd been thwarted at sub-40 attempts earlier in the year, but was feeling good and determined to try an execute a sensible strategy of 6.20 per min. The first mile ghosted along easily in 6.22 and the second, with a slight downhill section, went by in 6.18. So far so good.

The third mile was a curved, upward-sloped section of road, so I dug in a bit, trying to keep my teammate in sight (he's a 38.30-39 min runner with generally good pacing, usually hammers me in the second half of a XC). A few people started to go backwards just as I was going forward, which spurred me on, and hit the third mile in 6.20 exactly.

Mile four was more-or-less downhill, out of the wind, serene and easy - 6.12 and feeling pretty good. That feeling would get sucked out of me through the fifth mile, which was rough underfoot and gusts blasting in the face as well as a few tricky slopes to contend with. Went through a fence in 22nd place and hit the fifth mile marker in a shade over 32 mins, so that mile was nearer 7 mins. Better get me skates on.

Fortunately there was enough left to grimace it out at a good tempo, hitting the six mile marker somewhere around 38.30 - a little outside of target but good enough go eyeballs out all the way, team mate just in front of me, for a new PB of 39.46 and 19th place.

Obviously this pales in comparison to anyone who ran the Greater Manchester Marathon in any time whatsoever. However, I'm really pleased with that - my last remaining big target lifted from my shoulders, I can probably get back to enjoying myself a bit more.

Good efforts Sole Runner, Donaldo, Dustin, even Alehouse. Amusing to see marathon sufferers already back on their feet. Took me days to get going after Heptonstall.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Congrats, 7D, that's a great time and a super finishing position. image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice one, 7D!

• Donaldo, what a great loopy run, but hopefully quite satisfying that you “got away with it”.
    LMH, well done for marshalling. When I chose the lyrics, I thought of you. I thought she’ll never get these.
    Postie: Nice to know that you can still feel like you’ve had a work out. PS you are banned from anything fast for another 3 weeks, for fear of snapping.
    Ale: again, thanks for marshalling. Now I’m annoyed that I didn’t get yesterday’s lyrics.
    Chick, go steady in the recovery for you too. Summer sounds like fun. If I recall correctly you have summertime in Germany. With sun and stuff.
    RFJ: It wasn’t as chilly as I was expecting. We had 6C, much warmer than 0C. In fact I got warm.
    Stickless: running is running. 4 miles better than none.
    Solerunner: yay on the PB! Was it a training PB or with a number on?
    Dustin: You did 17 miles? That’s unlike you. I thought you just burned the tarmac. It also has a nasty look like it was tending towards training. Can’t be doing with that.
    7D: YAY to the PB with a number on, and a cracking 19th place.

• Come on then Blisters - how did it go?

Well done 7d - hope you can relax and enjoy it for a while now.

Alehouse - it was a little like that at the 10k. The 3k fun run started at 1100hrs - an hour and a half after the 10k - and there were still 10k entrants coming through with the 3k finishers.

Have just eaten my weight in popcorn whilst watching Oblivion. Need to get back training!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

great job, 7d image

Blisters: more often than not our summers are just as shite as yours image

3 and a bit miles run, 25 and a bit miles biked - beautiful day, albeit cold.

• Stratford marathon

Chilly before the off, so I wore long sleeve top under the Pirate zipped vest, and had to undress after 8 miles to tie the longer top round my waist. Met Mick n Phil, Shades, Crash Hamster, Senor Spam. Head said to go for 3:30, dream was 3:15. I’d not put the miles in, so it was going to be tough from 20 onwards. Early pace was OK, with 3:15 still a battle between heart and head. Feeling good though, chattering and going Yaaarrrr a lot. Halfway and still able to converse. Surprisingly good. 1:39 meant we were now starting to get practical, with 3:20 a realistically optimistic aim. The Greenway is a lovely place. The breeze was plumb behind us for the 4 miles. The track wasn’t the drag, but my legs were. Each mile got slower and those last 3 took forever. Finally the park and some crowd support Yaaaar YAAAARRRR! Finish in 3:25, and I’m quite pleased with that.

Training’s over rated.

• Well in Blisters! Guessing you could probably go faster, or have been already, with less pirate-chat and more training?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done, Blisters!  Had feared that you might struggle (or struggle more than you did!). Thought of you as I was talking with NP this morning: haven't seen him for ages!

7D: I know Blisters has been under 3 hours at least a couple of times!

Just looking at the marathon results from this morning: fast course judging by 5 women under 2:48...and Dave Norman running the last 6 miles 385 yards in 32 minutes exactly. All assuming the course is accurate etc! One to train for next year, 7D

• Going to give the marathon a serious thought for next year, genuinely been inspired by the feats of many recently. If I do, it'll be Manchester all the way. For now I think I'll concentrate on trying to improve my showing in the club fell challenge this summer.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

A job well done Blisters. Well done. First person I've heard  say The Greenway is lovely  heard so many horror stories about it

Love the lyrics even if I had to Google

Donaldo are you feeling dizzy but well done job done

Alehouse hope your day was good

Dustin Remind me What marathon?

What: 1.55 miles run home from work
    Why: Quicker than walking
    Last hard today legs not operating (4 hour on my feet at work)
    Lyrics I do now love the original artist

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

7D Well done to you too great time and a pb

What was the first song you learned to play

• 6 miles run d&d, gymwork d&d, 2k swim d&d.

Its very strange to be contemplating a race next weekend!!. Mixture of excitement and fear.

Trying to plan a taper now though. The body will enjoy the easier week - that's for sure!!!. I still feel that my running is not great - we'll find out next week.

Blisters - Its good to stick in the odd marathon now and then - nice going.

Don - I sometimes hve tht sort of a run if I need to not be too far away. Miles are miles!!

LMH - Sign up - the excitement will get you going at the training - what sort time have you available in the 20 weeks?

7D - PB - well done - its great to hit the milestones - look at the next one and keep on going! 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

7D - huge congrats on the sub 40, well deserved
    Blisters, nice work, good time , well done!
    Pammie - Giants Head, near the Cerne Abbas Giant (Dorset). Hilly, off road....yes I am regretting entering....

• Dustin: You'll find all those billed as fast, flat, PB potential to be as dull as ditchwater. I mean, I even had someone rave about Luton today. For those who live in England, Luton is a place near the Vauxhall factory, famous for having an airport used by Easyjet. They have chosen an industrial estate and run you round it four times in the depths of winter. Give me Dorset any day.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Blisters, good running there old fella!