Please help advice required

So as it says above went to complete my last LSR before beginning the taper down to my first Edinburgh Marathon and disaster struck... 18 miles in and my foot is in agony done a bit self diagnosis last night online and it could be a stress fracture of the metatarsal (I feel like a footballer) estimated recover time is 6 weeks.... It's 4 weeks till the marathon... So the question I have is will I be ok to cross train (cycle) to keep ticking over or do I keep trying to test the injury every weekend ?? And what's everyone's thoughts on Ibuprofin to get me through the run I've read some mixed reviews and ive had no side  effects when I've taken in the past!!!!!!!!  HELP PLEASE I down want 6 months worth of training to go to waste !!!!! 

Comments

• Well if you think you have a stress fracture the first thing you need to do is find for sure because that's what's going to determine whether or not you can run your marathon. 

Cross training and "testing" an unknown injury, especially if you think you have a fracture, is not the way to go. Find out what is actually is and take it from there.

• You could always as a medic ?

Failing that man up and get on with it

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

If you think it might be a stress fracture then I think you really need to find out.  Running through an injury is a dangerous game to play.  I know it's hard (I know only too well) but it's more important to think long term, rather than just getting round the race.  If you have a serious injury, the chances of having a good race at Edinburgh are pretty low anyway.

See a professional and then make a sensible plan.  I'm sorry for you as I know how gutting this kind of thing is.

• Ok thanks for the feedback overwhelming response to get the injury checked.. Being a 30something male who has never been to a doctors surgery for a long time my next question is - Who do I see about the injury GP, or a Physio ?? 

Loving the feedback Dave "man up" I fear that will be the answer come mile 20 onwards !!! 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Sports physio is probably your best bet - in the meantime, massage your calves well - foot pain is often referred pain from tight calf muscles.  Massage and stretching, including bent leg stretches to make sure you get the Soleus as well.

But get it checked, sharpish image

• A SF is only really identifiable via x-ray and usually only after the healing process has started. I continued marathon training after being told all was well. Took anti-inflammatories for the pain and ended up in hospital for a stomach bleed. If it is an SF then you will feel a point on the bone that is very painful to touch and if it is then you will need 4 - 6weeks of complete rest preferably in an air boot. The only thing I was allowed to do was pool running and then a very gradual return.

The good news is that they don't reoccur on the same toe. The bad news is that you have 10 toes! 

• caterpillar girl wrote (see)

A SF is only really identifiable via x-ray and usually only after the healing process has started. I continued marathon training after being told all was well. Took anti-inflammatories for the pain and ended up in hospital for a stomach bleed. If it is an SF then you will feel a point on the bone that is very painful to touch and if it is then you will need 4 - 6weeks of complete rest preferably in an air boot. The only thing I was allowed to do was pool running and then a very gradual return.

The good news is that they don't reoccur on the same toe. The bad news is that you have 10 toes! 

Not sure about that! I'm resting my foot with stress fracture in same metatarsal as I had it in 2011... 

• Thanks for all the replys guys the running community is truly a friendly and supportive one... 

The good news is it might not be an SF as there appears to be no sharp pain just a dull ache today... Anyway I'm going to take a week off running and visit a sports physio and take it from there.....

THE EDINBURGH MARATHON WILL NOT DEFEAT ME !!!!!!!