Should results be limited to participants?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

I don't think that race for life publishes results. So just stick to that one. 

If you don't want your results published don't do the race. 

• Well Frank Abagnale the famous ex-con recently said "If you tell me your date of birth and where you're born I'm 98% [of the way] to stealing your identity," Personally I'm happy for my results to be public (apart from the crap races) but not my DOB, and you should be able to opt out of P010 in the same way you can keep your electoral roll details private.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't get all this keeping DOB business secret. You can get this info pretty easily.

• And I have not seen any race results that show dob. They usually just show which age category you are in.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good point Maxp.

Imagine if your average results sheet had loads of names blanked out for data protection reasons!

For people keen on racing  and where times matter, comparing your rivals times is half the overall process.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

And I have not seen any race results that show dob. They usually just show which age category you are in.

The d.o.b. thing is a relatively minor issue for me, and I'm actually not bothered either.  But I know someone who genuinely doesn't go in for races because she'll be identified as being in a certain veteran age-category.  And she's not going to lie on entry forms - some people are not born that way (and actually, it might affect insurance issues)

You call her stupid if you like, but I'm certain if one person happens to have made that admission to me, there must surely be thousands like her. 

So a pointless bit of admin is stopping people engaging properly with the sport.

• No I think her inability to face the truth is stopping her.

FFS - get a grip woman. You can't control your age !

You need the age categories for races - I'd have thought abandoning them completely would stop a lot of older people racing as they wont be able to compare themselves with their fellow vets.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

people like this lady would then find somthing else to bleat about probably that races are too congested, that there are to many men there and she feels uncomfortable about her figure in lycra, she doesnt like crowds cheering her as she is anti noise, wants to run to music and they wont let her use an ipod, take her dog with her and so on and so on.

Its not like they are posting her sexual history on the results page

• I have just checked the last six races that I competed in and nowhere in the results does it give DoB just age category.

So I don't understand what all the fuss is about image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Wot cougie said.

Race I'm running tonight is over 35 or over 50. Really no one gives a damn about how old anyone else is.

• dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

How random was that? I just spat my coffee out image

• K80 wrote (see)
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

Could make for interesting reading I suppose.

There's probably a joke in there somewhere too about going like the clappers...

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Playing devil's advocate for the moment and mentioning no names. There isn't much point in saying you don't want your name to appear in the results listing, then posting details of your race number, name and other details in an open forum.

• Pudge wrote (see)
    K80 wrote (see)
    dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

Could make for interesting reading I suppose.

There's probably a joke in there somewhere too about going like the clappers...

... and whether you wanted a fast finish or not?

Do you think more people might be inclined to be untruthful about sexual history thatn DOB?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

well said Tenjiso...
    I struggle to understand the resistance to publishing of running data into the mainstream, when I'd wager there are many that self publicise through social media, twitter, blogs etc...

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Im fast good for age! Is that good or bad? 

Im happy to have all my rubbish results removed though. 

I probabaly race about 10 times a yr (excluding parkruns) and can't remember the last time my date of birth was on any results. 

That lady that wouldn't enter races needs to get a grip. I hope she won't be claiming a pension or free bus passes etc at some stage. 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

cougie wrote (see)
    No I think her inability to face the truth is stopping her.
    FFS - get a grip woman. You can't control your age !

You need the age categories for races - I'd have thought abandoning them completely would stop a lot of older people racing as they wont be able to compare themselves with their fellow vets.

cougie (and others).  My last point on this... because I'm not that passionate about it.. but I've got dragged into speaking with the zeal of an anti-aphartheid campaigner!

As I've said all along, I'm talking about having an opt-out button for those who don't want to have their details published in open easily-searchable databases. I expect the majority to still opt-in... and anyway, like 95% of runners, this woman would have no chance of winning any age-category prizes, so there's no affect there either.

Your suggestion that the woman 'gets a grip' and admits her age... I tend to agree... but there is a small but sizable proportion of the population who don't think like that.  Why should you be allowed to impose your perspective on everyone else?

Just because most of us are fairly committed runners, we perhaps have a particular perspective.  But this can make our world look like a closed-shop from the outside.

There are very very few hobby activities where so much detail is automatically made available on the internet.  You could find which races I've run, on what date, and assess my state of fitness if you so desired.  So could my employer. So could any enemies I have.  So could my wife image

It's just all too big brotherish.

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

I think for most of us be automaticly recorded into pof10 is of little consequence other than in principle.  However it's only recently that I realised that this was happening-no doubt I've agreed to this in some way but there could be serious consequences for someone who is listed and doesn't know.  I'll give you an example.

I lost touch with some friends a few years ago and recently thought it might be worth putting their individual names into google to see if I might get an e-mail address.  One of them came up on pof10.  That person was working in child protection at the nasty end.   When I was still in touch they were careful to keep their address and telephone number as private as possible.  It would be very easy for someone to turn up at their running club and follow them home.

That's what bothers me about this sort of thing. 

• Is this why James Bond never does running races ?
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I said it was my last post... but I made a totally unacceptable typo that the edit won't let me change.   I meant 'no effect', not 'no affect'

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    jelly bean wrote (see)

I think for most of us be automaticly recorded into pof10 is of little consequence other than in principle.  However it's only recently that I realised that this was happening-no doubt I've agreed to this in some way but there could be serious consequences for someone who is listed and doesn't know.  I'll give you an example.

I lost touch with some friends a few years ago and recently thought it might be worth putting their individual names into google to see if I might get an e-mail address.  One of them came up on pof10.  That person was working in child protection at the nasty end.   When I was still in touch they were careful to keep their address and telephone number as private as possible.  It would be very easy for someone to turn up at their running club and follow them home.

That's what bothers me about this sort of thing. 

jelly bean...   You are not supposed to think things through - you are supposed to flippantly slag off  "tin-foil-hat-wearing" people who think that there should be some sort of contol on publishing loads of unnecessary stuff on the internet.

Great example though.

James is probably a water sports type Cougie. image

Am I right in thinking that the idea behind pof10 was to try to keep track of those runners who were putting in the best times so they could be sort of 'talent scouted' for national teams etc.?

• Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭

Blimey O'Reilly, there's some delicate flowers around.

Sure, all of those fears are not without some grounding, but neither is the fear of some nutter assaulting or mugging you when you come out of the pub or supermarket, or you being knocked down by a bus as you cross the road, or you being involved in an almighty swipe up on the M1 that kills dozens.

Similarly, in playing cricket, someone could Google my name and work out where I'm going to be for 7 hours every other Saturday for the next 4 months, and even for the away games if they were so inclined. They might even work out I'll be netting midweek if they were really devious - those evil bar stewards. It's the same with most sports and it goes with the territory. For the internet now, read the local papers for the last hundred years or so. If someone really wants to find you they will.

Should it all still be too much of a threat however, run under a pseudonym, or turn up at parkrun without a bar code.

Probably safest however to avoid the running, the cricket, the pub, the supermarket, bus routes and the M1, and lock yourself away in a military grade bunker, never coming into contact with the outside world whatsoever other than to have your food delivered directly to your door. Make sure you check the references of the delivery driver though, can't be too careful, you never know what weirdos might be driving those vans.