Should results be limited to participants?

1234568»

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

KK: at the moment I'm having another Nordic noir fest. Read all the Karen Fossum Books in the last week. Also just read Jussie Adler Olson.

i'm mainly into Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Crime.

in SciFi it's the usual suspects al Reynolds, p f Hamilton, Iain m banks. as well as the old school E E 'doc' Smith and the like.

Fantasy it's everything from Tolkien, through Donaldson to joe Abercrombie and mark charan Newton.

Crime, Christie, Ngaio Marsh, all the way Upto being hooked lately on the Scandinavia n stuff.

I Also am totally hooked on Dr Who including the books and audio plays.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

If I had children I'd be gutted if they didn't love Who image (so I'm sure they would have hated it).

I'm a little bit anal, i've got it all in a combination of audios (for the missing stories), dvd's and even a couple of videos and laserdiscs 

• Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭

KK - Aye. Been on both sides of that coin myself with folk from other internet forums.

And once a cricketer, always a cricketer. You should get back into it and get your daughter involved. Many, many clubs have a girl's / women's section nowadays. image

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

As for the cricket whites, you should have seen them on Saturday evening. Filthy. Mud, grass, even a little rIp and blood stain. After all the rain and snow we've had this winter, you'd think diving across an April outfield wouldn't be like diving across asphalt wouldn't you? I did. I was wrong. Ouch. 

No need for the description.  I already looked you up on www.cricketbritain.com

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Books? I highly recommend '1984', and 'The Big Sleep'.  DF3 should swap his Big Sleep with RW's 1984 and we will all have a lovely time, image

Run Wales wrote (see)
    Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

As for the cricket whites, you should have seen them on Saturday evening. Filthy. Mud, grass, even a little rIp and blood stain. After all the rain and snow we've had this winter, you'd think diving across an April outfield wouldn't be like diving across asphalt wouldn't you? I did. I was wrong. Ouch. 

No need for the description.  I already looked you up on www.cricketbritain.com

Oh no! You might know my age, batting average and everything now!

That's it, I'm not playing any more. It's just too risky. I'm shocked that people would use information that's already in the public domain in this way. Are the ECB aware? Think I'll get some associates of mine to start a campaign on the www.cricketersworld.com forums to have an opt out option for having one's details displayed online. Maybe then I'll consider a comeback.

kittenkat wrote (see)

Last time I played cricket I broke a bone! I was bowling to a bunch of kids (back in the days I taught PE), kid hit the ball right on the sweet spot straight back at me. I instinctively put my hand out to catch (which I did). Force of ball broke my thumb.

Ooof! Kid in Kitten Kat Career Curtailing Cricket Calamity. 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

why should the European Central Bank care about your batting average?
    Maybe thats why they are cutting rates today, they mistook it for eurozone growth figures...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

First time I faced a ball, I was told to "keep my eye on it", I couldn't and it hit me full in the face. I was about 8 years old and my bowling uncle was keen to impress with his pace.

He received a bollocking and I received a bruised face and early retirement from the game.

🙂

Ha! Cheeky bleeder, Dustin. The batting average is slightly better than that I'm pleased to say...though I was kept out of the 1st XI by a lad with 9 runs from 5 innings last season...which probably doesn't say much for me, and maybe it was his average they were looking at!

Bravo, KK. I've been quite lucky with the cricket injuries. A few small fractures and the odd cracked knuckle that I've been able to play through, but never an actual break. 

Ric - Them were the days. They don't even introduce them to hard ball cricket until the age of 11 nowadays, and have to be all helmeted up even then. Helmets were just beginning to appear when I was a kid, though woe betide anyone who wore one...instant ridicule from all the other kids!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

the whole helmet with kids thing is like when I used to play football: never wear gloves, thermals or coloured boots.
    Run past the footy pitches now and its like a flippin' rainbow.
    Our centre forward turned up once with a red pair of adidas, got more abuse from us than he did the other team (although they probably kicked him more..)

Doubt you can get black boots anymore

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

B_B_B

At school I remember watching a new lad bowling at, and knocking over a single stump in the nets. A total athlete, good at all sports he once asked me if in a 200m race if you sprinted the whole way, affirmative! ok then, 23.6 seconds on grass.

Anyway one day some over sized snobs came out to the nets and brushing me aside (I was watching) attempted to ingratiate themselves with this lad. They seemed to be getting on ok, until the new lad bowled a fast one right into one of the other guys nuts.

"Oh sorry, I didn't know you weren't wearing a box", turning my way with a smirk.

🙂