Options

Ultimate Trails Lake District 50/100km

Comments

• Options

Good effort considering cragchick, haha I agree it could be counted as good fat-util or energy-crisis training. Good luck with the accomodation search. I've not given up on the idea of trying to find something more luxurious than a campsite and bringing OH and lad, but probably won't as he's still young and not fair on mum me bringing them over and abandoning them for most of a day.

Pacing for ultra is tricky. I can still get it quite wrong some days if I'm giving it beans as a pace that seems quite conservative can catch you out if the course is tougher than you expect or the conditions are. But on the other hand and for me one of the great things with longer distances is you can turn the run around by slowing down awhile, eating/drinking the right thing, etc.... One of the reasons I relish the challenge image (determined face).

I've got better with the food, as having the right things benefits my energy and self-belief. Very important to the big picture I think. I'm very much "by the numbers" when it comes to prep, if I do the right training runs, carry the right food, eat and drink the right things then that gives me a great belief I can do it. I'm not so good at going in "gung ho" and blowing up, struggling slowing down and completing say a 100m off the back of not much training.

Off the back of last Sunday 18th VLSR run I ran every day last week bar Saturday so probably taking it a bit easier here on in:
    mon 19th - 3.2m easy run back from work
    tue - 7.75m run to work
    wed - 4.5m easy in two bites after dropping off/picking up car from garage
    thu - 12m undulating trail/road run with middle 8 miles at tempo pace
    fri - 2.6m including 2.5 tower block ascents (33 flrs)

This sunday was a bit less prepared than the previous long run. Just took out my smaller pack without a full UTLD kitlist and food/drink enough for 17m (2 biscuits, 500ml chia charge, 500ml water, 1 x chia charge flapjack, fruit/nuts - and didn't drink/eat all of this). Did choose a hilly route though and ran at about 6mph, which was hard for route, any faster and would have been racing. Misty here at first (8.30) but soon warmed and per your run CragChick, humid.

So 47.25m last week, about 35m planned this week.

• Options

The last of my longer training runs on Saturday, and thankfully I was out of London for the bank holiday weekend in the South West, camping with friends. Took a fully packed kit bag with 2 litres of water in a bladder, and thankfully the weather was just about ideal for running in the high teens,

Drove out to a spot called Dunster Castle around midday, where I left our group of 10 friends tucking into ribs and pints of scrumpy at around 1pm and picked up the path out of town, a smallish climb and some nice trails to begin with winding through a forest. Nothing real beats the feeling of soft pine needles and earth under your feet if you've spent the last few weeks mostly on concrete and tarmac! 

First 6 miles or easy enough, then eventually the route picked up a section of the Macmillan Way. Started off with a slowish and very rocky but gradual climb up to Dunkery Beacon, which is the highest point of Exmoor, and then a couple of hours very pleasant running across the moors on paths and bridleways in the sunshine and wind. 

Then I cocked up the navigation and got lost for a couple of hours on Exmoor. It's so featureless and flat and repetitive, and the paths aren't at all uniform or reliable... anyway this was good fun but I knew I was running behind schedule and my lift back to the campsite was now in jeopardy. Eventually found a village that I could navigate again from, climbed up another hill to some sort of viewpoint/information centre which in turn led me to the South West Coast Path and the route along there to Lynmouth which was the end of my route.

If you ever get a chance to run it, I really can't reccomend this path enough. Even though I'd be going for 5 or 6 hours at this point, the surface and the gentle undulations and the incredible views of the Bristol Channel and the sunset meant I'd soon picked up the pace to something closer to my half marathon pace rather than what I was aiming for! Eventually rounded the headland and found the route to the finish via a quick stop for a photo of the Exmoor ponies, then down to the seafront for the remnants of my mates fish and chips and a bottle of raspberry cider in the car.

Total time on feet was just a shade under 7 hours, not sure on distance as there was a bit of stopping and starting with navigation and about turns but probably somewhere in the region of 28 miles of running I'd say. Managed the whole thing with just two gels and the 2 litres of water which I was pleased with as I've struggled before with this. Plus no blisters or problems with carrying the pack, and no pains three days later either.

So overall, I'm feeling pretty good about total miles I've put in and absence of major injuries. Concerned that I've not got enough practice of Lake District scale ascent/descent but a bit of a challenge where I am so I'll just be getting in a couple more hills/stairs sessions over the next 2 weeks or so and hoping for the best! 

Food lists and cutoffs look positive, just starting to look at the weather nervously now!

• Options

Great post on your run there 33r, Really fancy running exmoor way one day. Really fantastic you managed that on so little food! Shows your body is utilising fat well. Are you planning on using more food in the event? (rude not to with food on offer at CPimage) In theory should make is even easier for you to run as long as you are also used to eating on the run (but 50k is probably possible on quite low levels of food if you choose to do that and don't run too fast for prolonger periods). I stopped my runs on low food a few weeks back and my last few longer ones have been on more food to get me used to the food on route again. As I'll be doing about 200cal per hour to keep from too many energy slumps over the 100.

You'll be fine CC, bloodymindedness gets you along way in an ultra. More great variety in your prep, I can imagine the road/trail cycling combo will be good crossover training for the flat and hill elements respecitively.

Week about going to plan. Had to change things a bit with extra days unplanned rest on Tuesday as an adhoc bbq occured on the night. Made up with some extra miles in last two sessions though (7m+ through town on Wed with full pack, 12m+ long hill up-and-down reps part road / part trail at hard effort). 3m at lunch today (town, maybe tower block reps) and will do about 14m at weekend - probably with full pack but on flat path/trail route at a good pace.

Enjoy the weekend image

• Options

Just like to take a straw poll on this - the organisers are saying there's a "compulsory" health + safety breathing at 8pm on the Friday night. I'm travelling up from London on the Thursday and staying at my folks down the M6 in Lancashire, and would rather avoid travelling all the way up and back on the Friday, and then doing it again first thing on the Saturday morning.

What do you reckon? Safe dodging it for the 50k? 

• Options

Hi all,

CC - A nice outing, must be nice to watch wild seals like that, nothing so exotic in my vicinity. 6lb sounds good, not really sure what mine comes to, will be checking now image. Hope you enjoyed spectating or doing some orienteering.

33 - Tricky question that, at the end of the day its a trail run really so shouldn't be much dangerous ground on route, but maybe some. You can be pretty sure it won't have dangourous bits in like a fell run or BGR. And the course is marked. So really as long as you stay on course and take it steady on technical bits you should be ok. safety is mostly common sense really. I'll be travelling up on Friday so will be at the briefing so could always pass on anything beyond the common sense info.

I did 14m almost pan flat on Sunday. Did it with a 3/4 full pack (everything on kit list, but all the water and food I'll carry) and tested shotblocks and gels. I moved along at good pace, which is promising as there are flat bits on this hilly route and want to take advantage of them. Also finalised the water and food I'll carry. Will be 1x500ml bottle chia charge (refreshed every 15m or so), one litre water in bladder. For food some flapjack and hobnob biscuits for something to nibble on every 30mins and gels for when I want a boost or can't stomach other food. Otherwise I'll be going with the CP food for bigger fill-ups as there is reasuring variety.

Otherwise spent a lot of time tracking people I know who were doing UTMB. Most of them were succesful, which is great. But the downside is the envy I felt for being out there battling those huge mountain passes and spectacular backdrops, the food and drink relaxing in Chamonix after too. Been out there the last two years and really would like to do some more ultra-trail in the Alps. Also, I have unfinished business as I'm 0 for 2 on UTMB event (UTMB, TDS) completions - so I really want that finishers gillet!

Left me a bit down, so I'll be so glad to get to the lakes in less than 2 weeks time now and in the meantime I'll just be popping out during lunchhours to get those last minute bits of kit. Will keep my focus hopefully.... and will give me 3 UTMB points if I wantedimage

Btw, has anybody entered the other big Lakeland Ultra's for next year -  Lakeland 50, 100 (miles)? If not and you plan to, it may be too late already so check now!! (Entry only opened yesterday, but these fill crazy fast). If you don't know about these. They're in late July and the 100 is a brilliant loop which covers some of the ground of UTLD, but also other great lakeland valleys like Wasdale and Ennerdale (my personal faves). The 50 is the second half and covers a lot of ground that will be familiar from this event. I've enjoyed completing both in the past. The 100 was particularly special (and tough).

• Options

DE: Lakeland 50 & 100 were sold out by the time I tried to register for the 50 yesterday evening! image I'll have to hope to get in in Jan or May if people pull out and they offer the extra places as they did this year. Meanwhile I'm thinking that the 100 km version of this one looks like something to put on my list for next year. This year I was artificially limited by my decision to challenge myself to 5 x 50 miles races. Next year I'm intending more variety and this would be a great trail run to look forward to after the road runs of VLM & Comrades...

• Options

Go for it Cragchick, you'll really enjoy UTMB (or any events as part of that week from the two I've done) - individual ascents/descents of upto about 5000ft or so are real testers. I'm tempted by the Ultra trail Lavaredo (Dolomites) or one of the Swiss Iron Trail events next year, but more likely the year after. Good idea on marking tent, will also do that although mine will be about the smallest and cheapest looking mountain tent there so I probably won't miss it.

I'm with you on taperitis, no physical issues, but mentally by brain doesn't want to drive the legs on any of my runs so far this week.

Re. poles, depends on your experiance with. I'm not a user and can get enough training in on hills to not worry about descents on this run. But lots of hard stoney paths in lakes so may be worth it if your worried. Btw, they would be a real leg saver for UTMB.

Pretty sure I'll be camping Fri, Sat now. Looking forward to it, not camped in lakes for over a year or even ran there this year image

• Options

Thanks for the offer of the safety update guys, that would be very much appreciated. I really don't think I'll be missing too much for the 50k to be honest, but if you could fill me in either on here or by text/email if that's easier it'd be very much appreciated.

Just gone and spent my lunchbreak (and the rest of my bank balance!) on some decent waterproofs as none of the running I've done so far over the last couple of years has really demanded full waterproofs. Still, I've gone for the Montane Minimus smock which looks like a cracking piece of kit and has nothing but glowing reviews online; plus gave Pete Bland some more business with an order for a whistle, first aid kit &c, as they're probably worth having going into the winter.

CC - I think poles would be smart. I can only speak for the bits I've run, but whilst the climbs aren't big in relative Lakeland terms, there's definitely some rough ground to cover and I think for the 100k there's no harm in stashing some away for when you feel you need them.

Sort of tapered last week after my last long run, but then knackered my knees and calves trying to break my time running up the stairs at lunch so had to take the weekend off completely, then felt better last night so went and did 13 as fast as possible which I'm fairly sure isn't on my tapering schedule, but ahh sod it, it felt good at the time. Tempted by a gentle 16-18 on Saturday too although that could be a really bad idea? 

Kind of wish I was camping myself now...missing out on the camaraderie! (Although home via the pub for celebratory pints does sound rather appealing too).

• Options

Lavaredo and the T81 or T141 at the Swiss Iron Trails sound appealingly different.... but I have a strange craving for UTMB again.... maybe it will pass as news and tales of this years event fade out. I'd also forgotten you get two years for the 7 points from 3 events and I have plenty of 2 pointers.... this is worth 3, is this a sign? image (though of course have to get through the ballot too). The sensible thing to do would be to save money next year and stay domestic, save for the year after..... but money is overrated.

I hear a lot said abou the montane minimus, sounds a good waterproofing yet compact option. I've been using an OMM kameleika for about the last 4 years, been good on those days when it juts rains forever (often in Lakes). We'd be quite lucky to avoid some wind and rain in Lakes and when it comes even the waterproof trousers you doubted you'd ever use can come in handy. Even on the not so cold days of midsummer I've also found a quick change from t-shirt to baselayer to go under the waterproof smock has been needed too.

Some may do 16-18m at this stage 33r, especially if still another long one to train for not long after the immeadiate one (i.e. no significant taper). But, I'll be doing something quite short. I may actually do park run and a few short miles either side to warm-up and cool down. Hard work, but I won't be significantly drawing on my speed reserves in lakes, so a "something different" this weekend would be fun.

Not sure if a pub near event HQ/campsite or what beer options are. A coolbox may be in orderimage

• Options

Omg, I have never wanted to do a race as much as this one! I can't believe it managed to slip by unnoticed and I'm gutted. I'll have my finger on the refresh button as soon as you're all finished to sign up for 2014!
    Best of luck everybody & I really, really cannot wait to hear all about it. I'll probably download the route & try & walk part of it when we're in the Lakes later this month! So excited for you all!!!

• Options

DE - For afterwards of course, if you get a chance, highly recommend stopping by here: http://www.theoldcrownpub.co.uk/ and picking up a few bottles...

A brewery who run their own fell race, what's not to lik?. http://www.wanderingaengustreks.com/Old-Crown-Round.htm

• Options

Thanks 33r - I may be back in th market for a pub somewhere other than Brockhole area as may now be doing as a mini-family hol again. Not sure where in general Lakeland area though.

CC - Things need saving for and buying, but I agree with you that its nice to sod the cash at least every now and then. Memories aren't made by money. Great pressie from the hubbie, will you be trying them out in the event? Hope you enjoy your big hill if you go for that option, looks fab!

Now LR forecast is showers and 24mph winds in the afternoon (will be fun up high).

My next year plans are currently one of Swiss Iron trail events, Lavaredo, TDS or UTMB.... but need to discuss with family. I may still just find a tough uk event to sink my teeth into.

Okapi - Cheers, we'll let you know all about image

• Options

One thing I noted from the final details email the other day is that they said the 2nd half is harder than the first. It often seems harder because you more tired, but this is one is geographically harder, which is unusual amongst events I've run.

First half (to patterdale): 30.3m - 5259ft asc / 5959 desc
    Second half: 30.8m - 5974ft asc / 6169ft desc
    (figures may not be accurate but worked out based on info I have)

So don't go off too fast 100kers!

• Options

Yes, weather in this area is such a changable thing even against on the day forecasts its not worth looking really.

Sounds great on Cairngorm plateau. Always fancied running/walking/climbing up around there with its raw weather, almost year round snow and huge scale. I think taperitis may have got you as cut-off for section 1 is 2 hrs for race (+30mins for challenge), so you shouldn't worry too much.

I plotted against an OS map on grough, but didn't save it, but helped me picture some bits in head from other events using same paths or same CP locations and I tried to visualize it during a run last night.  Run last night was only 9m, but featured 9 (small) hills, which fits nicely with 9 sections (most with hills/passes of some description), so whilst on each one I pictured that section of route, the climbs, underfoot terrain and likely conditions. Fairly useful, but on some sections I drew a complete blank so may watch the recce vids again, but pay closer attention for those bits - namely:

• the exact naure of the highest pass (Nan Bield) although I know rough geography of area and CP locations in this section,
    • and pretty much the whole over Boredale hause, Watendlath and Stake Pass sections.

If it helps, some advice I can offer:

• Up garburn pass in this direction should be runnable in places and early in event.
    • Mardale head to Bampton section - Haweswater edge path is harder than profile suggests. No major climb, but lake edge path is quite hard, stoney, rocky and undulates up and down in short hard bursts. Not quite the pacey section it might appear - although you will probably run more of this section than most, expect it to be tiring.
    • Bampton to Howtown section - May be easiest in whole run. From where it joins L50/100 route on moor top down is quite good path if a little stoney. Though I've never gone up the moor from bampton direction.
    • Patterdale to grizedale is a lovely section, really enjoyed this going the other way on C2C. Grizedale to road at Dunmail raise along beck is quite rocky. No good for race day, but if your doing some leisurely running: the BGR route which goes straight down hillside from Seat Sandal, is steeper but softer and more fun.
    • Start of Langdale section can be wet crossing fields and path a bit rocky skirting Lingmoor fell at low level, but its not got much climb only the moor section at end, which isn't too wild as the area goes.
  • Options

Everyone survive the last weekend before?

Not much going on running-wise for me, dead easy 7m on path and trail, nothing risky image

• Options

Thanks for the route tips DE, useful.

10k round the park for me on Sunday after South Downs trip fell through, told myself to take it easy but as always when in a park and there's anybody else in sight, I end up going way too fast and doing 3x mile intervals at sub 5k pace which is exactly the wrong thing to do a week out from a race and to be quite honest I do sort of feel a bit tight in my right knee now but probably just worrying for no reason.

Then there's the fear that I've probably tapered a bit too early and should do a longer run tonight - 16+ say. Obviously it's too late now to physically improve but a good run might just settle any late nerves? Or not? 

Good to see summer has finally packed up and left and we can now get back to proper running weather rather than endlessly overheating, wiping sweat out of eyes and having hilariously bad running vest tan lines. 

• Options

33r - I've done a parkrun all out and got a PB a weekend before a long one before. No harm done with a short fast run and a week to recover to a long slow one. Everyones different 33r, but 16+m this week seems a bit much/risky. Did you do it? Endurance/stamina is already built and you won't get benefits from any runs your doing now for about 3 weeks anyway. So as long as your running 2.5 weeks ago and before that was good quality and distance you'll be ok. I literally taper to almost nothing in the last week - 3m yesterday, 4m today and about 3-4 on Thursday.

Based on this, assuming I complete this or get a good way around without major injury, I'll taper back up again - but not to the same mileage I peaked at for this - in the next three weeks ready for another marathon or longer in mid-October (Round Rotherham 50 is a strong maybe and probably going to do Frostbite 30 a month or so after that). In the past I've followed an ultra-a-month pattern all summer to nearly winter, just using the "muscle-memory" from last one without building up to that many weekly miles in between. E.g. last year Lakeland 50 in late July, TDS (Sur les Traces des Ducs de Savoie - well 50m of before DNF) late August, Hardmoors 60 late Sept, Round Rotherham 50 mid-late October. Hoping to do the same this year

Felt a bit like summer was over on this mornings run. Cold as I put gear on at 6 this morning for run to work. Supposedly 12c out, but felt cooler and only just getting light.

Think I'm prepared... though will still be fretting over what to put in the drop bag on Thu/Fri. Maybe won't put much in - just a change of t-shirt, socks - and keep most what I think I'll need in backpack as then your sure you have it. I have all the gear in my possesion I think (including £3.50 for zinc oxide tape!). After much coming and going of plans I am now definately having a couple of night under the stars in my tent. Will be a bit odd that we may start in headtorches on 100, but might not have them on at end - usually find its the other way around image

• Options

Hi Cragchick, you'll be fine image 3 weeks things isn't hard and fast and is just an ideal world idea from what I've read (but probably forgotten some detail). If you've done it since, you've done it so know you can do longer (assuming 23 didn't kill your legs for days) or sometime before (my last run over 14m was 4 weeks before) you'll still have it in the system as the fitness doesn't slip away that fast.

I'm hoping for 13 hours or thereabouts, based on how I feel and a sub-11 in Lakeland 50 last year. But that could be completley optimistic as going could be a lot tougher for this course than that one. At the end of the day, I'm sure what ever time we finish the welcome - and hopefully the food - will be warm image

I've got some good running in but jealous of those who are supple, I'm almost rusty image

Also not keen on charity hijacked events image nobody tells footballers, tennis players, etc they have to raise cash before they play a match.

• Options

Ha, thanks for the reassurance DE. Being a relative newcomer to the whole internet forum business I can say it has been a massive help going into my first marathon+ distance race having some more experienced heads give some idea of how people actually go about training for these things, as opposed to how an official training plan might look or how one of your celebrity elite trail runners goes about it. 

Did 13 last night but made myself drop the right down and avoid the temptation to push it. Even found a novel (though embarassing!) way to make myself stick to this which meant taking my mobile phone and hands free kit in my pocket and running along making a couple of phone calls. Now I'd never dream of doing something like this when I'm out in the countryside or doing anything serious but last night it made a difference and I feel much better for it today.

Still need the zinc oxide tape, in fact the full first aid kit needs buying, but other than that I feel pretty well set up. Weather seems to be changing every day but unless it's absolutely tipping it down and freezing I'm pretty sure what I'll be wearing and what I'll be carrying instead. 

In terms of next events, I'm not sure at all. The South is nowhere near as well served for off-road distance events (although there's plenty of shorter stuff on roads), so whilst I'm prepared to travel a bit further to get to the good terrain I'm also aware that I'll probably have to just keep myself ticking over until I find the right one. SDW50 next year would be a good next step I guess, seeing as the Lakeland 50 got snapped up in no time. 

No idea on finish times for the 50K to be honest, although it's still a short enough distance for a time to matter and merely finishing that distance isn't really what I'm after in terms of achievement, so depending on conditions I've figured 7 hours is a reasonable effort. (Although I won't be beating myself up over it...kind of going round in circles here!) One thought I did have was - what kind of times do you reckon the lead 100K runners will be round in? Finishing roughly with the bulk of the 50k? Will certainly make for some interesting conversation when they start catching me up and overtaking...

• Options

Also, they've very helpfully set up a 50K safety briefing at 8am on the Saturday - which solves that problem from earlier. Thanks for the offers of assistance.

Obviously we'll give our final reviews after the event but I'd say up to here, the organisation of this race has been absolutely first rate.