Ultimate Trails Lake District 50/100km

Comments

• URGENT UPDATE: zinc oxide tape is on half price at Superdrug, £1.60 a roll!

• Bugger image ah well would be worse if were a full price waterproof or something that then came up at half priceimage (just me being a tight northerner).

33 - re. phone as effort moderator, creative thinking, useful for the long distance runner image

Per cragchick the LDWA site is great as a source of long runs. Most of the 'challenges' are 20-something or longer and invariably accept runners (in many events they outnumber walkers). Also try:
    http://beyondmarathon.com/, http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/ and http://www.runfurther.com/. Enjoy!

Re 100k runners, I was thinking this myself the other day. Depending on how good the fastest guy/gal who turns up is and how tough the course I'd have thought about 9:30-11 hours - finger in the air, a superfast/elite type could go around faster and if nobody really fast and ground underfoot is a bit boggy (which it could be up there with the recent rain) could be over 11. Not thought about that, but guess I'll pass though halfway/50 start in good time to chase down 50'ers.

Cc - Not sure why the photo ID thing, they also do that at lakeland 50/100 and UTMB. Like for those I presume for safety in case of place exchanges if somebody with a complete lack of experiance got a place and got in trouble onroute.... or worse and wrong family called with bad news image

Map thing also confused me. I can, but I'm not going to bother, going to rely on route markings, whatever the map is and I've got a GPS trace just in case (as I've done events where route markings haven't been clear or have been tampered with).

• Good luck everyone this weekend!  Just checked the weather and it looks like it's going to stay dry on Saturday at least. Have a fantastic race & please let us know how you got on - can't wait to hear all about it image

• Thanks Okapi, as you say we may get it easy... which is helpful considering 62m and 12000ft up and down (my time prediction suddenley seems optimstic image). Ohhh and we might get views image

From MWIS fo saturday:

How Windy?

Northwest or northerly 15 to possibly 20mph, easing to 10mph.

Effect Of Wind?

Small

How Wet?

Rain unlikely

Isolated, if any, light showers.

Cloud on the hills?

Very little

Patchy cloud may form on higher slopes in morning. By midday, summits cloud free.

Chance of cloud free Summits?

80%

Sunshine and air clarity?

Patchwork of sunshine. Excellent visibility.

How Cold? (at 750m) -

5C rising to 7 or 8C. BBC for ambleside saying 13c max daytime there so not too hot low down

Freezing level

Above the summits.

Best of luck all!!!  My saturday in smilies,imageimageimage image image imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Now THAT's a weather report image  - should have put more effort in lol

Oh how I can relate to 'your Saturday in smileys'!!!

I have no doubt whatsoever that it will be a great day. Just seen some photos of organizers starting the set up, looks like their doing a grand job!

I'm not at all jealous image

• That's the best I've felt about a weather forecast in years...

• **they're doing a great job ... argh!

• cragchick wrote (see)
    Okapi - you will be guaranteed a race report, you may get bored though as I am not very good at keeping things short (how did I ever manage to work as a desk editor?!).

Fantastic, cragchick - can't wait, and the longer, the better - I love a good race report image

• Hi. Just about packed and will be picking up last few things (milk, goodies for drop bags, tonight's tea) on way out as well as the tent from my 'storage' at parents house. About 3hrs drive from there. Setting off about 2 probably. Mostly going to plan, though did wake up in night due to a huge left calve cramp whic is sore today, but don't think it will effect me.

Hope you got the kit in order CC. I'm the same, but thankfully got into some kind of order. I'll probably just blend in at the briefing being a 5'8 sorta bloke in my jeans tshirst combo image but I'll wear my black Hardmoors running food.com buff if I remember as an identifier? How can I pick out you CC? And u in race kit on 50k if I see you 33.

• Morning all, final prep here seems to have consisted of staying up late drinking too much beer, which wasn't part of my original training plan but I guess it's all about flexibility image

DE I'll be the beardy bloke in his mid 20s carrying a 22l Montane pack that's clearly too big for the amount of stuff required as I'm now discovering, weather permitting probably long sleeve hi-vis top and shorts (much like everybody else I suspect). Don't know if they're planning on having names on numbers - probably I guess?

If I don't get chance to say so before tomorrow, good luck both of you and hope to bump into you at some stage.

• Good luck all, I'll keep an eye out for you.

I'll probably be wearing bright green north face tshirt (if not covered by wind jacket), saucony black shorts, dirty red inov8s, aforementioned buff, red Salomon pack

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

That's not a very good report!!

Full of meaning, though.

• Yes. Ouch here too. I shouldn't have been so bullish with the 13 hour or so prediction. I didnt anticipate the roughness of lots of ground on route (seemed more rough stuff than L50/100, or maybe ive spent too much time running soft Wolds and NYM of late), my body rejecting sweet stuff at 20m and the extra 4.5m! How did everyone get on? About 15hr30 for me

All that said a good event spoiling us with some nice indoor CP (chips at stickle barn Tavern) and grasshopper porridge and especially noodles (my savior) image well marked barring one section and a few small bits. Venue for hq was gOod too. Weather spoiled us. Immense views!!
  • 15h 30 for 100km sounds pretty good to me. I only did the 50km and had hoped for 7 - 7h 30. In the end I got 8:10. I mucked up my nutrition badly and spent 1/2 - 3/4 hour stopped up skate pass (foolishly I decided not to have a break at Watendlath and pushed almost straight through, just had a quick drink). I walked the flat just before this (from around Stonethwaite), knew I didn't feel quite right started the climb and thought I better have quick rest, so sat down for 5 mins. Got going again but was no better and eventually the marshalls came to my rescue and stopped me until they thought I was OK. It obviously worked as I was so full of energy when I got going again and raced up the rest of the climb. A very nice route though.

For the 100km people which half seemed harder (trying to ignore any fatigue)? Was it the second half? Which half seemd the nicest?

• So yes, still a bit ouch today but not as bad as I was fearing when I went to bed last night. A really good day out save for one or two grumbles, just eagerly looking forward to some official results to see if things panned out as I think they did.

Agree with you entirely on the route DE; very rough ground in patches, feet felt very bashed up by the end and as with everything really, getting a real grip for how tough people really have to be to do 100k+ was an eye opener. Some beautiful stretches too, thought Watlendath fell was really beautiful, and Stonethwaite was great too. Weather made it all the better, so good to see the Lakes looking like that.

In terms of my performance: overall I'm pretty happy. The first section to Dunmail did not go well for me, felt sluggish and a bit under-fed and frustrated that the climb up to Grizedale didn't go as well as in training, then stumbled on the descent and got into the mindset of "this isn't going to work" for a bit. Got stuck into some food at the first few checkpoints (noodles - awesome!) and this seemed to pick things up a bit, and gradually started to pick through a few of the people who'd overtaken me earlier on. 

Then Stake Pass - tough climb, can't imagine how that must have been for the 100k lot. I was feeling good and found a really solid rhythm with my walking and I think I picked up 10 or so places on the walk alone, (much to the chagrin of some of the other competitors I might add!). From this descent onwards I was feeling pretty good and when nobody overtook me on the way to the pub CP all of a sudden I felt this wave of competitiveness overtake me. Hit the checkpoint, Andy Mouncey filled up my bottle with Nuun and told me I was looking great (which was awesome, top bloke for mucking in) and then set off. Took another few places on this next section and tried my best to catch the next pair but couldn't get there.

All went smoothly enough until the Skelghyll woods section, not sure if this was a problem for you but apparently there was an issue with some missing/removed signage. Got lost in the woods with another runner for a bit and in the end lost the route and came out a different point entirely, about half a mile down the road from the actual route. Not sure if I took a shorter or longer route but in any case, it was frustrating to lose the route like this and not sure what the circumstance were. Spoke to the guy who finished second later on and he mentioned sabotage, which if true would be a real bloody shame.

Nevertheless, home in something between 7.30 and 8 which as a first effort at the distance I'm pretty happy with. Loved the soup at the finish but a bit disappointed with the lack of any sort of medal/memento apart from the (cotton) t-shirt. Thought this was included in the entry? 

Last but by absolutely 100% no means least, thanks to the volunteers, who were supportive, friendly, and attentive and made the whole thing a real pleasure to run. Kevin - sounds like they handled your thing really well, glad you got it together ok.

DE - sorry I didn't get to see you but congratulations on that time. When I got to the finish I could not possibly have imagined turning around and doing it all over again (but quicker) - awesome stuff.

cragchick - looking forward to hearing how you got on.

• A group of us also got lost in the woods and took many wrong turns and think we lost 2 places cos of it, and on the drive home we saw lots of runners coming from ambleside via the road - assume they also got lost , never the less an amazing day and thank god we werent running today with that weather. I only did 50k but big respect to the 100k brigade - my legs couldnt take any more - i cant work out if it was de hydration or lack of mountain quad muscles

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Well done CC. Good to see you out racing again image

• Great stuff, guys & bloody well done all!!!

2014 date in the diary - just  waiting for the 'enter' button to appear on the web page image

• Well done CC, 33, Kevin1, smb150... good efforts all. And to all the other competitiors the organising team, marshalls, photographers..... image

I'll write up a bit more later, but its a shame about course markings in Skellghyll woods -absolutely none there seemed suspicious to me considering the plethora of marking in remote areas and the fact I saw a guy(s) distributing flags with glowsticks on stake pass and watendlath moor (if I recall). I was helped in the woods by a garmin trace and realising it was Lakeland 50/100 (miles) route in reverse. So directed a few people.

Kevin, can see how you could have suffered pushing through CP after Watendlath. I spent time there to eat well expecting the next stretch to feel long!! And it did. I had a good run through Borrowdale, but was actually glad to hit Stake pass to excuse a walk break. Borrowdale was even less undualting than the Haweswater path, but the paths through both made it hard to maintain momentum. The descent was harsh on the legs, but after the Nan Bield and Grizedale descents I expected this.

CC - I wonder if more late-in-the-day tampering was afoot after Stickle barn? as I hadn't noticed any signage issues when I passed through. I also had a major bad time on Askham moor, I think a hard first 12 over two big passes followed by trying to "make back pace" rollercoastering alongside Haweswater and up the road climb to a "meer 1000ft" pass (I quote myself, trying to reassure another competitor about 15mins before my bad patch) killed my energy. Combined with stuffing down sugary stuff every 30mins till this point and a sugary porridge at Bampton (tasty, but disagreed with me) caught up and I went nauseous and hollow legged until beyond Howtown.

2nd or first half harder? hmm..  would have to agree that 2nd half was as less road sections and to accompany the very stoney sections there was the nice 'fluidity' of Watendlath moor to cool the feet down. But not that much in it and my 6:30/9:00 split was probably exaggerated by tiredness.

Contrary to how tough many people found Stake pass ascent tough I thought it was lovely up on a nice smooth-surfaced switchback path, which hid the steepness and made it seem quite quick to me). Down was hard work and shared the mantle with Nan Bield pass descent as rockiest in my book. Grizedale Hause was a tough pass to negotiate from the off, bet a few 50ers' unfamiliar with lakes got a shock with that one from the gun image

• My GPS made the 50km route to be 52.6km which seemed to be around what other people said (53km) and marshall said that the 100km route was actually 110km.

The GPS also gave me an elevation of 4000m + which I'm severly doubting. Wondered if anyone else tracked it and had a more accurate figure? The site states 4,000ft in total so I'm guessing if the secodn half was hillier it was 7500ft - 8000ft?

DE - I knew there it was a long section but I felt great still at Watendlath and really eager to get going. A mistake in hindsight, but will know for next year!

I was going to suggest maybe they have a checkpoint at Stonethwaite, only a few km from Watendlath I know, but would still be nice and reduce the distance a bit to Langdale.

Never done Skate Pass before but been up the neighbouring Rossett Gill and pretty similar, all the switchbacks make progress seem very slow. Have to say I thought the descent off skate pass was the easiest bit of the course for me and I normally struggle a bit on downhills (trying to get a good speed without falling on my face!). The bit I really hated though was going up past Loughrigg tarn. Made great progress to Elterwater, but wasn't then expecting those little hills and thought it was more or less flat to Ambleside so got a shock with those.

• Guess it shows a lot of how a part of the course feels is a lot about whats going on in the head at the time. I almost floated up those little hills from Stickle to Ambleside.

Not downloaded my garmin yet but I've got a 910xt with altimeter, so should be accurate in theory. I believe it was about 12000ft asc though.

• Some results out, not sure how official. Bit of a grumble now image.... looks like the going the right way through Skelghyll woods and over the climb didn't benefit me. Guy behind me at Ambleside was 21mins down on me and losing ground at each CP, only to come in nearly 1 minute ahead! Nobody passed me and this guy ran 40mins for last 4.5m or so stint (seems unlikely, as winner took 46mins on same stretch). Can only presume he took lower path in woods and hit the Ambleside-Windermere road again and ran along that knowing it would pass Brockhole (which would be less climb and shorter distance). Theres a few 40 ish min last sections in their, its a shame that lack of markers just spoils it a bit for not only the ones on right route losing out places, but also those who accidentally shortcut and will probably realise it in results. Not that I'm competitiveimage

http://www.bowland-coms.co.uk/ut100/

• Snap --- I'm definitely in the former category (ie wrong path through skelghyll). Looks like I may have jumped over one bloke up a position by virtue of getting lost in the woods and giving up and aiming for road when unable to find the road again. A 51 minute last section which should give some indication that we did spend a fair bit of time looking for the route back out before hitting the road, but definitely if it was the other way round I would not be pleased!

(If you're reading bloke in position below me having beaten me at every other split, I do apologise!) 

• We were very sorry that the final leg from Ambleside to Brockhole posed a real challenge for competitors and organisers as signs and waymarkers were being consistently removed during the event. This was mainly in Ambleside itself and in the Skelghyll Woods area, affecting a number of competitors particularly in the dark. We had a running battle throughout the event replacing signs and glowsticks in this area. Quite a few competitors ended up on the main road and sensibly returned to the finish at Brockhole - this is reflected in some very quick final split times. In the spirit of the event, we will not be disqualifying any competitor and would hope that any competitor who won a prize in error would please let us know. We apologise to everyone concerned and hope this did not detract too much from your enjoyment of the event. This matter will take a high priority for discussion in our event debrief meeting and for future event planning.

"Signs and waymarkers were consistently removed" - seriously, who does that??

• There are some people with very funny ideas about things out there imageimage.

I was near the back of the 100k and there were large sections with no markings, in particular the bit around Mardale Head, the road section in and out of Bampton, nothing out of Howtown, or all up the lead road and track over Boredale beck / Boardale Hause, and all up Grizedale to the tarn. Occasionally I would spot a small white route sign attached to a gate that the 'flag lifters' had missed and this for the most part kept me on the right track. At the tarn there was a small cluster of flags still in place on one side, but not enough to stop me from taking the wrong descent path off Grizedale, meaning I completely missed the Dunmail / Thirlmere CP and came out on the main road half way between Thirlmere and Grasmere. That was game over for me and I had to find my own way back to Brockhole.

So first the good points:

a) big thank you to all volunteers and marshalls, in particular the lovely ladies at Bampton and Howtown whose tea and smiles were very appreciated, and the lovely man marshalling the summit of Askham who encouraged me on by saying I was running faster than anyone he had seen for quite a while image.

b) a really lovely friendly bunch of fellow runners / nutters to spend the day with.

c) a very good sweeper for the first 50k who maintained a respectful distance whilst at the same time encouraging everyone on if it looked like they were flagging or losing pace.

Now the bad, I'm afraid:

a) the map provided was a piece of sh!te. For the entry money we paid we should have at the very least been given something we could navigate by, OR, like Centurion Running who many of you know also do marked courses where signs are prone to get lifted, you make it compulsory for everyone to carry their own map. Luckily for me I took my L50/100 map which has most of this course covered on it.

b) the 'emergency contact number' provided on their map was a misprint / wrong number. When I found myself in the wrong place and knowing I would miss the Thirlmere cut off I phoned it hoping I would either be able to get someone who could direct me back on course, or someone I could at least tell I was going to be forced to retire from the route. My main concern was I didn't want people out looking for me thinking I was lost in the hills when actually I was down on the A591!!! However I needn't have worried because:

c) they were doing no live monitoring of where people were on the course. There was no paper check of peoples numbers as they passed through CP's and the dibbers were not being monitored 'live', they were just going to be used at the finish to check no one had cheated and cut the course (I was informed this by a marshal at the finish).

Had I or anyone else been seriously lost or injured they would have had no clue which stretch of the course we were on. In a mountain environment over this kind of distance, this is absolutely shocking. After a 5mile run / walk on the road to Ambleside I was finally picked up by my friend and driven to the finish. Here I spoke to the finish marshal and the nice control lady in the centre, they checked the phone number I had rang, and found the number on my phone was exactly the same as the number printed on the map, I had not made an error. I should have been at Thirlmere by 7pm and here I was at Brockhole at 9.20pm and they had no idea I was even missing from the course.

They took a note of all this to pass on to the organiser so hopefully they do take note for future events because this is the kind of basic safety stuff they really should have sorted out. I didn't wan

• I didn't want that to turn into a rant image, but its important people know what was going on behind the scenes. I was horrified when I discovered they were not live monitoring anyone - presumably if you fell down a gully and were lying unconscious they would not know anything about it until a friend / relative reported you missing! image