P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, well done Fiona! Following on from your two marathons in two weeks habit, you should probably go out and do another 10k tomorrow, and smash your PB again...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Make sure you run the whole 10k though.

• Brilliant, congrats on your shiny new PB Fiona image image

• I'll tell you what, my legs don't feel much better than they did after the marathon and not quite marathon! image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Speedy 10k PB there Ryan - What are your other times?

Fi - Nice pbing!!Well done.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Can I join in please? image

I'm not planning another marathon until next year, having just had an abortive attempt at VLM (suffering with a flu virus and had to pull out at 12 miles - devastated as until then I was on target for sub-3:15) then ran Halstead three weeks later and after a promising start, the wheels fell off and I limped home in a sorry 3:51 (a lot to do with failure of mental strength I think - once I realised I wasn't going to make my sub-3:19 target I had a bad case of CBA and kind of gave up on and off for the rest of the race.  Of course, it could also have just been too soon after London).

But have decided I'll probably have another bash at Halstead next year, hopefully get a small PB and then target sub-3:15 again at London in 2015.  By which time I'll be almost 46 so I may have missed my chance, but hey, we'll give it a go.

I've now done 5 marathons - FLM (as was) 2004: 4:01; FLM 2005: 3:40; FLM 2006: 3:26; VLM 2010 3:19; Halstead 2013: 3:51.  Big gap between 2006 and 2010 because I had my son and finding time for the training was tough (it still is).

I'm pretty sure that what went wrong for me this year was too much hard running - especially the long runs - and too much 'one pace' running (all of it too hard).  Also having to run on 4 consecutive days without a break with the first of those days being the long run.  My challenge if I follow P&D is going to be getting the sessions in on the prescribed days because I have a LOT of constraints around work, school pick-up and drop-off, and weekends (I can't run Saturdays, for example, as too much else going on with other family activities and commitments).  But having read back I've noticed a few of you have dropped some of the easy/recovery runs so it may be possible for me to make this work if I can be a bit creative with the schedule (at the risk of it ending up NOT being the schedule!)

I also think P&D is a bit light on the 20 milers so I will probably extend some of the long runs to do 5 x 20 which I think is needed for a successful marathon.

Right, that's enough from me now I think! image

• Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

Menn - raced a 61min 10 mile in the last training cycle and a 81:58 HM last year. Pretty certain i can go under 60 and 80 now.

Not race a 5k for a long time

• Ryan SnellRyan Snell ✭✭✭

Oh, the marathon was 2:52 at Brighton image

• Good times Ryan, very similar paced to me, my half time is 80:39, I suspect to go below that at my next attempt, 36:21 is my 10K PB I also expect to take some off that in the near future, my 5K is a little soft 17:54, but I was not well and I under performed on the day as it is was perfect conditions on the flatest, fastest course known to man, the winner finished in 13:59!!!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice PBs there Ryan, mine are a bit off yours being a 2.59,  1.22, a 37.35 and a 17.29 but they are all subject to reduction imminently!

• Your right Menn, I suspect you will be taking quite large chunks off your 10k and half time sometime soon.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Welcome, Minks! I'm not doing another marathon till next year either, but we can watch what these guys all do with the P&D schedules and avoid all their mistakes... I mean, learn from their experience. image

• Minks, I read your posts on Halstead thread as my friend Susan was the lady who was cheering you on.  You did well to finish, many would have pulled out.  I have 3 kids, aged 4, 5, 10. Like you, getting the miles in can be tough, I dropped a recovery run from P&D.  I will do 12 week plan -55/70 but it will be around 45-60 miles when I tweak it. 

Fiona, well done on the shiny 10k PB! 

8 miles on sandstone trail/Helsby hill x 2 today, 1200ft of climb. Tough run but legs will thank me, can feel strength building already from hitting them again.  There's an off road 4 miler in oswestry on Monday, pretty tame but it's a fell counter for club so going to do it. 

• Helen, have you vanished off Facebook?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Craig, yes she has, and now there are about 90% swearwords in my newsfeed. image

• Ha ha don't you mean 90% LESS swearwords!?!

Craig, yep, have for a bit, reason being - I have love/hate relationship with Facebook, I enjoy some sides of it but when I see racist rants against muslims, covered up in the pretence of being "British", I despise social networking and it concerns me that this is future for our kids.  Nail in coffin for me for a while, I don't like the way things are shared on there. I will probably be back but not for a bit. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Arse, yes of course I did. Can't believe I edited for spelling but managed to miss out a whole word. Also have just been a total obnoxious pedant on another thread; don't tell them!

• Whoooooppppp!! I am joining Fiona with a shiny new 10k PB!!

Was a tough course, 2 laps, very hilly and I actually ran 6.3 miles due to constantly having to cross the road due to traffic (course was on narrow, winding country lanes).  Did this same race last year in 53 mins.  Previous 10k PB was 47:09 on an easy course.  Just ran 46:36!!! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the time.  A few glasses of vino for me tonight image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, well done Tiny Runner! I am having some vino too; let's just say it is honour of your PB. That is a massive improvement on last year. image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tiny Runner fabulous PB, bloody well done and I hoped you enjoyed your glasses of vino. 

Fiona 2 min PB wow - enjoy the smug afterglow of PB smashing.

Welcome Minks image

Volunteered at Parkrun this morning handing out the finishing tokens it was good seeing the variety of runners crossing the finishing line - some were pouring out lactic acid and others looked like it was merely a stroll in the park - I know which one I usually am image.

• Tiny runner - well done that's a fab improvement.

lisa - I can only credit P&D for the improvement.

• Well done Tiny, cracking improvement!  My 10k PB is getting old now, that was set at Southport last year, was mega flat but at least 3km on sand.  Was 46:12 I think. The next 10k I did was hilly and was the same time. Hoping I would be nearer the 45:30 mark now but won't attempt it until I feel have some pace back. 

I did scanning at parkrun today Lisa, I usually do time keeping and can honestly say, scanning is a pain in the arse, loads of peoples barcodes refuse to scan. Mennania came first!  Well done again Men! Lovely to see you again too. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tiny and Fiona - well done on your PBs. There's a 10k in Manchester on June 9th (called alternative Manchester 10k, I guess an alternative to the big one tomorrow)...I might have a go at this. I don't really do many races, not as much as you lot anyway. Maybe 4 or 5 a year. I guess I should do more...quite often a case of CBA and also family CBA. Anyway....thinking I might jog there and back - will make total mileage about 17mi run which is what I have down for that day in my schedule.

Interesting stuff huh?!

15mi this morning...felt a bit knackered to be honest. Enjoy the sun this weekend people, it's not going to last.

• Well done Men, thats a parkrun I would like to try, infact never ran a parkrun are the times official times?  I feel fully recovered now, the cold I had has totally gone and I feel full of energy.  Started some speedwork recently with 2 clubmates with my main focus a 10K in June. Also managed to get hold of a place in the Snowdon International Race, going to start running more fell/trail this season, just got hold of a list of forthcoming races and a few are fairly local to me and there midweek races so I will be giving them ago.  House move on the cards for us soon, so a few weeks of stress, moving the childrens schools etc.  Anyway hope everyone is enjoying the summer and training well.

• 15W - I don't race much. Other than the marathons that's the first race I've done this year. I didn't do any in the build up. I run parkrun every week but seldom race it.

• Think I might be doing too many races to be honest! But I love it, always manage to find some lovely little local races, combination of road/trail/fell for an entry fee of between £3-5.  It's more of a social thing for me I think as my clubmates race frequently.  But I don't race them all hard, I just take part in some to use them as a training run, especially the trail and fell ones as I'm not very confident on that kind of terrain so just try and enjoy the run.

Legs felt surprisingly fresh this morning so managed a slow 12 miles up and over Pendle Hill.  Took frequent rests and walk breaks and just generally enjoyed being outside in the sunshine image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Is that the offer of a Smack down Craig. We will have to get over together one sat soon.

Nice to catch up with HeOw, get your trainers on and give it a blast next time!

• Sounds good Menn, will have to sort that out.  Congratulations on your win, well done.

12 miles for me this morning, fantastic morning running up the hills, nice to be out in the morning sun, very pleasant. 

• Hi all, have come over from the Chester marathon thread - having just got the P&D book and keen to try the up to 55 mile plan.  Did my first - VLM - in 4.34 so not fast but it felt fine and I was up to 40 mile weeks for that. Have just done a 40 mile week now and can see how much stronger I am now so hope it is realistic and aiming for 4.15 this time.  Did a 12 mile at that predicted MP yesterday and it was okay so hoping to take that as a sign I can build on that.

Do have a few questions though and apologies if they have been asked before.

Which runs are the best to fit  hilly runs into? The GA ones and take them slow?

Where does this amazing spreadsheet come from?

How do you fit club intervals into the schedules? ie which run should I swap it for?

I did 5 long runs last time and two 22 milers so will tweak for that again - but am aware I am already feeling the need to tweak the plan to the point where it may not be a true P&D one anymore -presume that is common?!

Thank you.

• Men, pace me around on Saturday then!?