Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Torquay - welcome, I too am doing Chester - you will love it.  My fav'rit marathon it is!  (well, considering I have only done Manchester and Chester, I ain't got much to go on...) 

Re club intervals - I dropped my club sessions that didn't fit it, there is no room really to keep to doing another hard session and the LT session (tempo) is more important. The plan doesn't seem too bad first few weeks but once you hit the higher mileage weeks, you will find doing any extra speed sessions would be too much.  Sometimes it is case of having to change what you usually do, to do your best at the marathon.

I dropped hills for my Manchester P&D training and I found it went against me, I lost leg strength definitely.  So am back on hills with vengeance.  I will be doing my medium length runs on the hills and probably my GA session will be done on the hill trails and majority of my long runs will incorporate hills.  To make up for the higher effort going up the hill, I take it VERY easy on the way down, so the run is not turning into a tempo. 

Yes, a lot of us tweak the plan to suit us, there is rare person who follows it to the letter.  It is a guide at the end of the day!  

• Options

Started off my P&D prep all wrong with the Buxton HM today.. not good prep for it - but at least it starts with a rest day tomorrow!  The way my calves are feeling I'd not be able to run at all.

I'd love to do Chester again - still a fall back if the logistics for Berlin get too difficult (wish I'd not got a place now!).

• Options

HeOw - I keep thinking I should do more of my runs on 'hilly' routes but I'm confused about the speed/effort I need to be running up them. You said about the higher effort going up them but is this just the normal increased effort exerted when running uphill as opposed to along the flat or do you deliberately push hard up the hills?

• Options

I've heard somewhere hill running is speedwork in disguise, most of my runs are hill based as its where I live and been to a few races described as having a hill in it i.e Warrington half marathon and to be honest I was waiting for the hill. If i'm doing hill repeats, which P&D does not include, I will run the hill very hard for 2 minutes and recover down and repeat around 12 times, not done them in a while, tough session but I know it helped me.

• Options

HeOw

Thanks for that - think I will just keep incorporating hills into all the sessions -  in fact it is hard not to on a long run unless I stick to the seafront.

Looking forward to Chester - was talked into it by their promo team at the VLM expo and the rave reviews on here.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Craig, do the Tunbridge Wells half that I did this year and you won't be wondering where the hill is...

• Options

Sounds great that Lit.

Like the Snowdonia half I did, if you completed the hill at mile 8 without walking you would get a medal at the top.  And the Snowdonia marathon I did last year, I can't even describe the wall at Bwylch-y-Groes at mile 22.  

Most of my training is nearly all hill based, I can't avoid them, some are just ridiculous.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - sorry for being AWOL again but I was miserable and feeling sorry for myself what with not being able to run image

A week off was exactly what the doctor ordered and after testing my leg with a 3 miler and a few strides on Saturday I felt brave enough to race yesterday. Very glad I did coz now I can join Fiona and TinyRunner on the 10k PB podium image. Took half a minute off my previous 10k PB which was a small miracle considering I barely ran since the marathon and have done absolutely zero speedwork. I also ran 2 mins quicker than I did on the same course last year image

Today is week one for many of the 18-week P&Ders then, innit?

• Options

Great running chick.

• Options

Yup Day 1 - rest day image  seems silly to start with a rest day - going to do 3 miles recovery to get ready for tomorrow's 9 w/4@LT.

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I am going to also join Fiona, Tiny Runner and now Chick with a shiny new 10k pb. Bupa 10k run in 46.42 (according to my Garmin as still waiting for official time). My last 10k in November I ran in 50.09 so over the moon with this especially as at times during the race I felt that I had to slow down due to congestion etc.

Celebratory glass of vino for me this evening, in preparation for starting plan next Monday image

edited due to shit spelling!

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
  • Options

Chick and Lisa that's fantastic running.

Chick - sounds like your injury is improving.

Lisa - that should give you loads of confidence for the marathon.

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

image totally forgot to post my time: 44:11. Coincidentally that is exactly the 10k time that the predictors come up with based on my recent marathon image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone with new 10k PBs! Maybe if I hang around you lot for long enough I'll do it too. image

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Chick bloody good time there image, a sub 45 min 10k is a dream for me.

Fiona thanks, I was aiming for a sub 48 so pretty pleased. Just looking forward to starting the plan and hopefully my confidence of completing my first full marathon will grow!

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Good running ladies! well done on the pbs. HeOw - I am probably not getting to Delamere this weekend I am afraid but will defo pace you round it soon!

• Options
    Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Well official results are out - 10k time 46.43, with 5k split being 23.20. I am more happy with the fact that I actually was consistent with my pacing (for once) rather then the new PB image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Chick and Lisa - congrats on the PBs.

Not much to report here. Ran 10-11 miles this morning. Went yorkshire sculpture park yesterday. Cooking chilli at moment. Just about to have a beer.

• Options

Congrats Chickadee and Lisa! Brilliant weekend for the P&Ders!

Had a great day today at the Austwick Amble - an 8 mile fell race with 1200ft of ascent.  The heavens opened as we were lining up at the start and the rain hasn't stopped since - quite a difference to the wall-to-wall sunshine we had over the weekend! Wasn't sure what to expect from the race so just aimed to finish in under 1hr 30.  Came in at 1hr 12 with a strong uphill sprint finish so really chuffed with that.

Looking forward to beginning my 20 week plan next Monday image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Lisa: very consistent pacing. Great stuff. I'm more known for PPP (piss poor pacing) in anything shorter than a half ... image  ran my 10k naked, so no idea about splits.

Tiny: not for the faint-hearted then, running a fell race in torrential rain image

15w: chili and a beer - love your style image

Have put my plan together image. Start is July 1.

No autumn mara for me, but a decent half on October 7 which I will train for using the P&D 12 week up to 55 miles. I will probably throw a bit more tempo in and won't be doing any 20 milers. And I will start 14 weeks before the race to allow for 2 weeks of mountain climbing int he summer image

• Options

Congratulations to everyone achieving PB's! image

Managed to hit 50 miles last week - a new record! 9 miles this morning with 5 @ HMP which ended up being more like 10K pace. Ooooops! Legs are feeling a bit wobbly and because the car is in the garage I have to cycle home - uphill! image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

well done on the magic 50 miles acp.

So...while all you lot are out there racing your socks off I am still just plodding about without a care in the world. 11mi at lunchtime today...got absolutely drenched.

• Options

acp - are you training for Chester??  You seem to be getting the miles in very very early! 

• Options

Got soaked today on Day 2/week 1, 9 miles down (only managed 1 at LT pace instead of 4 though as not really fresh yet from the last two races).  Liking the spreadsheet for it - very motivating.  No idea if I'll be ready for 11 tomorrow though image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - acp is starting early and is repeating the first 4 weeks of the schedule twice....

Daeve - what schedule are you following? and what marathon? Those LT miles are more important in the 2nd mesocycle...

• Options

15West - Berlin, 29th Sept.  Following (at the moment) the 18 week 55-70 schedule, though may back it off to the up to 55 if I feel it too draining.  I've been doing 20-35 mile weeks over the last 3 months with long runs from 13-15 miles (last 2 weeks were HM races on the Sunday).

• Options

15W - you've been paying attention! image

HeOw - yes, I am doing Chester and as 15W says I am repeating the first 4 weeks of the schedule. I've also added miles onto the long runs as I was already upto 16 miles. And I'm managing to sqeeze an extra mile or two onto the GA runs therefore making them MLR's. Have now done my first 4 weeks and am on the first week again - if that makes sense! I've also got an extra week built in later on as I didn't want to have to stick rigidly to the plan while on holiday.

Bit naughty this morning and skipped the recovery run image but I did do some core strength stuff instead! image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

First day of P&D done and dusted meant to be 8 with 4@LT but could only manage 7 with 4@LT , LT pace was suposed to be 8:20mm didnt quite manage to hit it.

Stats 1mi wu 9:34, 8:44(158 83%), 8:24(168 88%), 8:32(170 89%), 8:16(171 90%), 2mi cd 9:23, 9:29

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Stewart, maybe not having the time for an extra mile of warm-up made it harder to hit the pace. How have you worked out your LT pace; is it based on a recent race time?