P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh yes, and I zoomed around my 5(ish) mile race yesterday at 3k pace. image

• I'm not sure whether those stats are good news or bad news....

At my current pace in this heat I'll be smashin the 3 hour barrier in my October marathon.... on the other hand my 11k hilly race on Saturday evening in 30c+ heat will be at a snails pace.

13k with 10x100 strides today... little bit cooler this morning but legs aching.... couple of days off now (sorry, taper) before my race.

• Well I survived.......just.  That was the most brutal and hardcore fell race I've ever done.  I felt like I was on the Krypton Factor and was just waiting for Gordon Burns to jump out.

It started with knee high grass on a single track (so chest-high grass for me).  The grass on either side of the narrow track was so overgrown you couldn't see the ground so you kind of just had to run blind and hope for the best.  Saw everyone around me constantly falling over and it was horrendous on the ankles. 

THen we were out onto open moorland aka welcome to divot hell.  Horrible tussocks and holes everywhere.  Managed to fall, put out my arms to save my face, did a press up and got back up again!  I didn't care about finish time, just wanted to get to the end in one piece.  A few of my friends took some nasty tumbles and a clubmate had a horrible fall onto a huge rock and badly grazed her hip.  It was a war of attrition.  I have never been so happy to see a finish line in all my life.  But then the midges attacked us as we were cheering everyone in.

It was really well organised and flagged but it was just too hardcore for me.  Average heart rate 184 - not good.  The hills were fine and I ran them all no problem but the terrain was just far too technical for me.  Could have pushed it a bit more but just wasn't worth snapping an ankle.  Finished in 1hr 20mins.  Very happy to be getting back to tarmac and marathon training!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Crikey Tiny, rather you than me! That sounds brutal even without the hot weather. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Cripes Tiny! Well done!. I'm not ever sure what a tussock or a divot is. I do know what a hole is though. And a rock.

7 very slow miles done at lunchtime.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tiny glad you survived the race, but that sounds like too much like hard work in the summer heat.

Well I have actually stuck to the plan for a change and completed my 11 mile run pretty hard work initially as was still very hot to begin with but overall dare I say enjoyable.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Tiny, I feel your pain as my fell league season is in full flow and I have many a bruise/gorse scratch/fall down rabbit hole to show for it. You're lucky to have a fully flagged route - no such luxury over here in Manx land, but the navigation (aka getting lost) adds to the fun. I think! And to be fair, you cant get completely 'lost' here as you'll eventually reach a road or something familiar, unlike the mainland where I think I would probably end up at John O Groatsimage Well done though, not the easiest of things on a hot summer evening.

My Mountain Marathon training is coming along nicely, I'm pretty much following the P&D plan (minus the recovery runs - shame on me) until mid August and then it will turn to more fell based training but keeping the long road runs (race at end of September).

Glad everyone is ticking along nicely. Some great weather we're having image
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

13mi for me today. Going to get up to 28C here in Manchester. Lovely.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Morning.

Going to be a hot one alright. Yesterday was 8M with 4M tempo. Tempo came out as 6.40 pace, which is slower than target mp! Can't blame the heat either cos the hr didnt go anywhere. Legs were tired, didn't feel like they'd recovred from Tuesdays track session. 

Onwards and downwards.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

wow Tiny! Well toughed out image. Off roady stuff is not for me I think. Too much hard work!

Hi Shaz, good to see you image

8 miles with 3 x 1 mile @ 10k pace. Not much resemblance to the original P&D schedule left ... but ok training for a half, I guess.

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

ML11 today, with last 4 at target marathon pace. I'm now trying to hold back over the early miles to leave some energy for some MP miles towards the end.

Previously I've run more of a constant pace over the whole run, though usually at the quicker end of the recommended training paces.

• Afternoon All,

Got my 10mile MLR in at 5.30am this morning. Earliest I have ever done a run.

Forgot what its like to run in normal temperatures, felt refreshing.

Have been keeping the same pace in my MLR and LSR must refer back to the book as it looks like most people are doing MP miles near the end of their long runs.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

My lunchtime 13mi was another hot and sweaty affair. Looks like there will be a bit of a breakdown of this heatwave next week sometime...might go out with a bang or a whimper...but will hopefully be followed by cooler temperatures, but also more unsettled.

• I'm seriously considering not racing tomorrow evening.... was due an 11k hilly race at 6:30pm but it'll still be over 30c then and I'm dreading it.

Might be better off getting my scheduled 24k run in early in the morning.

Perks of 60miles a week: drunk on two cans of Kronenbourg.

Have you noticed how fat everyone else is? 

• andrews148 wrote (see)

.Have you noticed how fat everyone else is? 

Ha! That made me laugh.  Enjoy your beers.

Did a report about the fell race from hell here.

Going to get up early tomorrow morning and try and get the 16miler out of the way before it gets too hot.  Supposed to be a tad cooler over next few days so hopefully that should help.  Although I have been enjoying just sitting and being lazy in the sunshine.  Not brilliant for my marathon training but it makes me happy image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. Read your report Tiny. Bet you do it again next year!

Off out for 8mi with some strides this morning. Tomorrow got 16mi. Should be 20 but swapping things round a bit for the next week or so as tomorrow is my daughter's birthday party which I need to be in some sort've fit state for (and be there for)...and next week taking her to olympic stadium for anniversary games and then down south to my mum's.

Supposed to be cooler this weekend...still feeling pretty warm out there. Could get stormy for some next week.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Tiny read your race review and find your style of writing really engaging, agree with 15w bet you run it again!

7mi with 8 x 112m (to be exact) strides. Really enjoy strides make me feel like a real runner for all of about 20 seconds.

18 miles planned for tomorrow - gulp, that will be my longest ever run, double gulp and it will be warmer again - bugger image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Lisa - run it early if you can...and maybe take some water...

• Afternoon everyone

You know what, I probably will run it next year!  I don't like it when I feel a race has beaten me and that one definitely beat me!  

Hope everyone gets on okay with their long runs over the weekend.  18 miles Lisa - gulp indeed! Agree with 15W, get up as early as you can.  I take my camelback for anything over 14 and it's a godsend.

Well I managed to complete the session I'd been dreading - 16 with 10 at MP.  Set off at 8am and it was still hot but slightly cloudy so I sought the shade where I could.  Also a bit of a breeze which was lovely.  Still 73% humdity according to the garmin though image.  Really surprised myself.  Marathon pace is 8.45 - 9.00.  Managed to hit all 10 MP miles between 8.27 - 8.47, so was overjoyed.  Although I did cheat a bit and stop the garmin for a moment or two to recover at the top of a hill, fish out a gel and wipe the suncream out of my eyes.  It was only when I stopped that I realised just what a mess I was.  Dripping with sweat, globs of suncream running everywhere, sweat patches all over my vest and loads of flies stuck to my skin.  Attractive!

Continued with MP miles until mile 15 where I planned on having a cool down mile.  I walked for a couple of minutes and then tried to run again - ouch! Everything had tightened up and the best I could manage was a 'marathoner's shuffle'.  Really hope I don't need to stop in the marathon because I'll never get going again.

• I'd also say get out early.... I was out the door at 6:30am this morning (on a Saturday !)... was cool, quiet and the 24k passed off very pleasantly.... no 11k race for me tonight... I think I made the right decision... it's brutal out there now.

Week 4/18 completed.... gradually getting there.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

huge well dones to those managing their long, hot runs B-)

did a 50k bike ride today which was great fun. hot and hilly but nice. Also did a very short recovery Run at 5am before we set off.

eek - gotta do 16 with 10 @ MP tomorrow

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Did a parkrun in the middle of a 7 mile recovery run this morning.

Was good fun - jog 2 miles to the park, carefully timed to arrive just before it starts, jog around the start area and then start at the back, spend the next 24 mins overtaking people, have a quick rest and then jog the 2 miles home.

Got some strange looks when I did the strides though!

Judging by the forecast tomorrow I am going to be up at 5.30am for my 18 miler.

Well done to everyone running in this weather - it will make the autumn marathon feel so much easier!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Did my 16mi in 2hr this morning. Wasn't that hot, nice breeze and cloudy...so pretty good weatherwise. Still knackered at end though. Daughter's birthday party later...having it in a family restaurant place with a play area - should be fun!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

did my 16 with MP at 5am. was already boiling. glad it's done. lake swim to cool down. lovely image

21miles scheduled for today, but there's a nice 11mile loop that I often run, so I did two laps of that, making 22.

I had a 330ml bottle of water at the halfway point - nowhere near enough water. No carbs.

The end result was a hideous heat exhaustion/glycogen depletion combo. Not recommended!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good work Andrew and Chick.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hopefully next weekend temperatures will be a bit more normal.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Well managed two firsts this morning, one being my longest ever run at 18 miles, and the 2nd needing to pee halfway through said run and having to squat in the bushes hoping that no-one came by. I believe that squatting in bushes and peeing makes me a member of the 'proper runners club' image.

Well done for all those that have gotten out there today and ran long and slow (or not so slow as me!).

Now to recover for the remainder of the day as feeling whacked. Think I need to start thinking about my fueling stategy for both the marathon and the long runs. Can I ask do people practice with gels etc on LSR's as I have never tried one and I have absolutely no idea what my tactic should be image