P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Bleurgh.  It was slooooww, it was ugly but got those 18 miles in the bag.  83% humidity for me too and then the sun decided to make an unexpected appearance which didn't help.  Was on my feet for 3hrs 15mins.  Did a lot of climb though (over 1000ft).  Some awfully slow miles in there (some 12 and even 13 minute miles) but I got it done.  

I'm hoping an upside of doing the run slowly will mean I'll recover a bit quicker.  Although that meant that I was on my feet for longer so not really sure.  All I know right now is that a whole shed load of food needs to get in my face immediately.

carter - I get fat feet too when it's hot.  Tried using thinner socks but then I just get blisters.  Let me know if you find a solution!

15W - hope you enjoyed the gym session, sensible move to give the legs a rest.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

well done, Tiny image

I'm even more lightweight today than I was yesterday ...  image put the LT run off yet again. All I was capable of this morning was a 3 mile slooow jog to get some bread. Slept badly last night (too hot) and the humidity is still lingering. As this is a recovery week anyway and I'm only training for a half I figured I'd start over again next week with the stuff that I was supposed to have done this week.

andrews: 44 laps image  rather you than me ...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tiny - it may have been slow and ugly, but you did it, well done. Recover well.

Off work today as my daughter's birthday...but I have 20mi scheduled. Hmmm. She needs to get her lazy ass out of bed and open her presents so I can get out there.

Been for a walk with dog and feels a bit hot. Hmmm again.

Off to olympics stadium tomorrow to watch the athletics with my daughter...might be a bit wet, but at least we'll be undercover.

• I'd second that... well done Tiny.... I've a feeling that my 26k tomorrow morning will follow a similar storyline.

chickadeee.... P&D for a half marathon ! are you some kind of masochist 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Clearly she is some kind of masochist. I can't get my head round how I managed to do any of the LT runs at all when I did P&D. This morning I did half an hour of 5 mins MP/5 mins HMP and that felt like quite enough effort.

Happy birthday to 15W's daughter. I think you should have got up earlier, run a bit faster, and got the 20 miles done before she got up.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well done Tiny. I'm in the same boat as M.arkF with my long run tomorrow although I'm going to run a flatter route so as not to aggrevate my knee too much.

Lit - my trotters are fine and not to big. Must be just one of those things so I will have to man up. Arent you training for an autumn marathon ?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Carter - no, am just hanging around here cos it's nice and I sort of miss having a proper training thread. I will be able to learn from you lot and all your mistakes though for my next marathon in the spring. image

• I think one mistake we've all made that you clearly won't is training for an autumn marathon through a heatwave.

• Looks like a poor week for me as I struggled doing my 14miler MLR as I foolishly didn't have any water and it was very warm
     and going to miss my 11miler today as i'm off to the Olympic stadium toady and tomorrow.

Might try and squeeze in my long run (21miles) early tomorrow

Andrew148 how come 44 laps on the track?
    Tiny that's good running in the heat and the hills

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    M.arkF wrote (see)

I think one mistake we've all made that you clearly won't is training for an autumn marathon through a heatwave.

I did make the mistake of training for a spring marathon through floods, blizzards and on snow & ice last time though...

• Thought I would try a shorter run tomorrow of 13 miles. I've already done 7 LR's totalling 130 miles so it won't make any difference if I don't go long this week......will it?! image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

No - it won't acp, probably do more good infact.

Well, the guilt got hold of me after the disbelief from the other half that I was going to be missing all morning running, so halved it and did just over 10mi. Will have to do my 20miler down at my mum's on sunday.

Debutant - going to olympic stadium tomorrow also...so I'll see you there.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

One other thing is I've felt a little bit sick all week...not sure what that's all about...

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Clearly she is some kind of masochist. I can't get my head round how I managed to do any of the LT runs at all when I did P&D. This morning I did half an hour of 5 mins MP/5 mins HMP and that felt like quite enough effort.

Nah, I'm just too lazy to look for a dedicated HM schedule. And I'm a complete lightweight, using their up to 55 mile one but not really going over 50 miles anyway.

literatin wrote (see)
    M.arkF wrote (see)

I think one mistake we've all made that you clearly won't is training for an autumn marathon through a heatwave.

I did make the mistake of training for a spring marathon through floods, blizzards and on snow & ice last time though...

The blizzards and the cold weren't half as bad ... (she says now). Wait till my spring campaign when I won't stop moaning about the cold image

errm, acp: didn't you say you wanted to take things a bit easier image? 13 miles ain't exactly easy ...

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭
    Debutant wrote (see)

Andrew148 how come 44 laps on the track?

I'm between night shifts and have my 10 year old daughter on school holidays, so had to run somewhere where I can keep an eye on her. She's very patient,  poor thing!

11 miles with 6LT. 44laps in the heat was grim, but it will make that Sub3 marathon all the more gloriousimage

• image.....but it isn't the scheduled 18 miles either....! image

It's my older son's 7th birthday on Sunday image (and mine! - but not 7th!) and his party is tomorrow so a shorter run will fit in better with party preparations!image

• I like your creativity Andrews, combining running with childcare - nice one! Must remember that one!image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

That;s impressive Andrews...and your daughter must be very patient. Want to swap?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

chick - if you are training for a half there is probably no need to run over 15 or 16mi for your long runs either...

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Mum had packed a bag with lots to do : book, Nintendo, iThing and book of word searches, so she was fine.

If she ever moans, I'll tell her the story of Anne Frank.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

10 miles with 6 @ LT this morning. Just about managed the pace but did arrange the route so that the last 1.5 fast miles were downhill! Naughty me.

Running fast at 18 degrees sure does leave you drenched! Not pretty.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

What I do know is by the time it takes the women in this house to get ready to go out I could have ran 50 miles at least.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

chick - if you are training for a half there is probably no need to run over 15 or 16mi for your long runs either...

I know! That's why I'm not going to get to 55 miles in any week image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

15W - I spend half my life waiting for my missus. Then, on the occasion she arranges something and says we will leave at such and such a time she is always ready early and then moans at me for keeping her waiting even though it's not even the time she said we should leave in the first place. There is no way I can win on this one.

I am currently sat in the garden while I am 'working from home' image 

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

andrews148 - poor kid, "if she ever moans ..." image Sounds super organised though!

I slogged out 20 miles this morning in 3:12:31, avg pace 9:37. Ran on a mixture of trails around the woods and pavements. Thought I'd better throw some gradients in, so climbed just over 1000 feet overall. It felt tough at times - the sun came out and it got pretty hot. Pleased that it's over & done with as I can now go hill walking tomorrow instead. image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Clag and tiny well done for getting your long runs in.

I have actually stuck to plan today and ran 10mi with 6 @ LT pace, had to grit my teeth at times but managed to keep pace between 7.50 - 8.00. Still too bloody hot and humid out there, but tis done and I can feel smug for a short while image.  Recovery run tomorrow, which I may miss then the first of the big 2 0's on Sunday arrgghh!

Phil there is nothing wrong with avoiding ascending hills image

15w my hubby shared the same disbelief when I went running on my daughters birthday- whoops.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

well done Lisa.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Lisa now that I have perfected the art of running slowly I don't fear the long runs anymore.

MarathonTalk on the iPod and two bottles of Lucozade should do the trick for Sunday's 20!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Skipping my 7mi recovery run this morning as have a bit of a dodgy stomach. Off down to london this morning to watch some of the athletics; and then down to my mum's in folkestone for a few days. If I'm well enough my 20mi run tomorrow will be along the SE Kent coast.

Hope all ok out there.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I too am skipping my recovery run this morning as my 17 year old daugter came home from a party completely sh*tfaced last night (this was the first and last time I may add) meaning that her vomiting, retching and crying as she felt so ill kept the whole house awake. Eventually got to sleep about 6am only to have carpet fitters arrive at 7.30am. Am now trying to decide on a suitable punishment - am thinking a cold glass of water over her head in a couple of hours may be the answer followed up by housework. However it is highly unlikely that she will even get up today image

20 miles still planned for tomorrow, but it will be even tougher now due to lack of sleep image

Enjoy the athletics 15w, Mo is in action so should be a great day.