P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

nice one, Runny image

literatin wrote (see)

acp - yes you can, but Chick and Andrews will have to try harder.

literatin wrote (see)

Oh well, you're forgiven this time. Anyway crisps are probably good for runners, for, er, avoiding cramp. What's your excuse though chick?

image   it was too hot to eat anything ... does that count? Probably not...  well, I've always been crap at nutrition and lit is right, I really have to try harder!

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Whilst waiting for my physio appt later today I have been looking on various triathlon sites image. Mightily expensive it seems I think my hubby would kill me, but I'm still just looking, right image.

• I'm sure he would only be concerned for your happiness and health.....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

No harm in looking Lisa....but I'm sure triathlons have a running element too?!

• I have been advised to get a P&D book to help my half marathon/marathon training, what is the best one to get?

I have seen one called" Advanced Marathoning" is this a good one?

I would appreciate any feedbackimage

• That's the one.   As the title implies, it's aimed at full marathons, but the principles can be applied to halves.  I've got the 2nd edition, published 2008, which I'm assuming is the latest.  They say that they made a few improvements over the first edition.

The most basic programme that it describes is one that peaks at 55 miles per week... and it has other variations that go over a hundred.  So it definitely stretches you.  If you're never going to get close to that, you might want to shop around, but to be fair, the text is still written quite simply and effectively, so you can adapt the programmes if you feel the need to.  I would say it's a pretty good book.

• Advanced Marathoning is the one!

I also recommend "The Art of Running Faster" by Julian Goater.

• Yes, that's the one that all these hardcore nutters are using for their training, Lesley. I personally quite like my first edition with its retro photos. But even if you don't want to use the schedules (which you probably don't, as I get the impression from your other posts that you're not doing that kind of mileage), the explanations of what kinds of training sessions you might do and what they're for are pretty useful and will make whatever schedule you are following make sense.

I can't comment on their other book 'Road Racing for Serious Runners' because my feckless baby brother bought it for my birthday 4 months ago and hasn't posted it to me yet. But I'm sure someone on here has both and can advise. I believe it covers all distances but doesn't have ready-made schedules in it.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

That's the one to get for marathon running...there is a different one called Road Racing for Serious Runners and this covers distances from 5k to marathon, but unless they've updated it the schedules are not daily...but just give you what shouod be covered in a week.

So...Advanced Marathoning is better in my opinion and you can probably use for half marathon training but just cut down the mileage in the long and mid length runs (chickadee on here is doing that).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

oooh. they all beat me to it. damn it.

• Ha. You've been chicked, 15W.

Had you been typing that up for the last 10 minutes?

• Actually, they are writing a new one (P without D, though) to cover shorter distances but with schedules in the style of Advanced Marathoning. Exciting stuff.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I guess I didn't refresh before replying...or something.

• Evening all. LT run for me tonight of 10.6 with 5 @ LT pace. From receiving advice I believe I was running these too fast previously so I cut the pace a bit tonight and, while I didnt feel I was on the limit all the time, I was still working hard. The knee was strapped up but still gave me a bit of grief towards the end but as soon as I stopped running the pain went away. All in all a good, confidence boosting run.

Lesley - Advanced Marathoning is the book to get image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Flippin'ec! Anyone watching Southcliffe?

• Now then, now then... How's everyone doing?  

I ain't doing P&D, just rocking my own boat. Doing 4 runs a week, a medium (11-14 sometimes time on feet on trails), a speed sesh (which I am taking from the P&D road racing for serious(!) runners), a long run (have so far done 2 x 20, 2 x 18 and 2 x 16) which I am alternating with a slow hilly long run with a MRP run the following week.  Other run is a recovery paced 8-9 miler.  So far, so good.  As you can see, my plan is based on P&D but I am not sticking to any particular method, just doing what suits me week in, week out.  Works better for me especially when my 3 girls are off school.

Hope everyone is well?!  Training going good? 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello HeOw - good to hear from you. Glad you're ok and sounds like you're training well. That's a good idea to take parts of the schedule and use what works well for you...thinking I might do something similar in the future.

I've got 9mi down today...but may do a bit longer and then take a few miles off my runs later in the week as may be doing a 10mi race on sunday (Great Warford 10 near Knutsford/Wilsmlow if anyone interested).

• The Road Running for Serious runners doesn't have pre written sessions it just gives you the stuff you should be doing and then you fill in the rest.  However, it does cover all distances from 5K to marathon and also has a range of weekly mileages starting at sub 30 miles I think.  So it might be more suitable for someone who is doing less mileage.  The general content at the beginning is pretty much the same as in advance marathoning.

HeOw - how are things going?  It sounds like you are back to running a fair bit.

15 W - have you not decided yet?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - you mean the race? No, I haven't. I probably will...but all depends on weather, and whether I can be arsed. In some ways a 16mi long run is preferable, less hassle, less pain etc. But, I know if I do it I'll be pleased I did (unless I injure myself?!).

Just under 11mi done at lunchtime.

• Thanks to everyone for their advice on the book choice, I think that I am going to go with the Advanced Marathoning as I am planning to do the Paris marathon next year and you never know after thatimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good choice LL2, by 2016 you'll be ready for Brazil...

• I went to the physio today about my ongoing ITB issue. Basically my knee is not strong enough still so I am not giving it chance to fully recover by running long distances. He has suggested that I don't run at Chester as I could well end up out of action for longer. I have to carry on with my stretching and rolling and do more cycling and plyometrics. I can still do some running but he has said that short (no more than 5 miles), fast, hilly runs should help strengthen the knee without causing any more damage. Looks like my marathon plans are on hold for now

• sorry to hear that carter, though probably for the best to give you a chance to recover. Stick around if you like, you can be in the not actually doing a marathon imposter club with me, chick, lisa and fiona.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Carter, but at least you can still run! As Lit says stick around (if you want!); and hopefully you'll be fit and ready to try for a marathon next spring?

9mi with 6x800 VO2 for me today. The first VO2 workout in the schedule, and in the middle of a supposed recovery week!

• Carter - Sorry to hear your news, I am sure that once you have done these fast, hilly runs that you will come back better and stronger than everimage

• Really gutted for you Carter image.  That must be so frustrating, but it's definitely wise to listen to the physio and get your knee stronger.  It would be great if you could stick around.

Enjoy your VO2 session 15w!

• Sorry to hear about your ITB problem Carter. I'm surprised that you've been prescribed hills, as I have read (and experienced) that downhills cause a lot of stress on the IT bands. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

My first VO2 max session of the schedule today too: 9mi w/ 6x800m @ 5K pace. It was a bit of a shock to the system! The first couple of intervals felt OK, but they got pretty tough from then on. However, I managed to run them at the required pace, which for me is 5:45 for a target marathon pace of 6:38. 

• Andrews - my knee pain only starts when I am about 8/9 miles into a run so the physio has taken this into account when coming up with a plan for my recovery.I have been starting the transition to a mid-foot strike so the physio said that working hills (uphill) would strengthen the knee without doing any more harm. I think I will walk down the hills to start with. I guess if I'm still experiencing pain I will have to stop the hills as well, we shall see how it goes. Good VO2 session.

Tiny/Lesley - yes, very frustrating. My first 2 marathon attempts have both ended in injury !

15W - I will be hanging around here as I would like to know how you and your guts get on in your training and racing !

Lit - unfortunately, the injury bench is getting bigger. Let's hope nobody else joins us

• Carter - I'm not injured, just too lazy to do a marathon. But I have been getting some groin/arse pain and have instructions to massage my left arse cheek with a tennis or golf ball. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

HAHAHA

sorry, I guess that's not funny.

VO2 intervals done at lunchtime, like andrew was 9mi with 6x800. Intervals went ok...tried to keep them between 5.30 and 5.45 min/mi...haven't checked garmin yet with how I actually got on. One problem with the weather (which for me is pretty much perfect) is there are a lot of people out and about so I was having to dodge and swerve round them quite a lot...and also felt a bit silly.