P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good for you acp - think you made the right decision. Your holiday should enable you to recover completely...are you planning on zero running all week?

• After taking Saturday and Sunday off, I tried running again today. I ran the first of today's recovery runs, a six miler. My lower left leg is still painful, especially for the first 20metres, which was more of a run/limp.

Once running it just hurts, but doesn't really seem to effect pace. However, the added mental strain of being in pain might tip me over the edge when running a hard training run. We'll see.

I'll try the afternoon's four miler and see how it goes. This is a 70mile week too - grrrrr!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

ME and some other runners trying to keep up with me...

/members/images/350142/Gallery/IMG_0034.jpg

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

go easy andrew...you don't have to stick to the plan if you have a niggle. I don't bother with the double days, I did last time and the 2nd recovery run just felt unnecessary and painful. I'm supposedly on a 87mile week this week and there are a couple of double days, but will probably end up in the upper 70s somewhere.

Does your leg feel as painful as it did a few days ago, or is it any better? If not getting any better you should go see someone (better a sports physio than a GP).

• 15W, has anyone ever mentioned that you look somewhat like 80s cartoon hero Inspector Gadget?

/members/images/699204/Gallery/Inspector_gadget_by_bonjourmonami.png

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well, normally it's Brad Pitt or George Clooney...but I guess there is a bit of a likeness, apart from the heel striking of course...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

just about to go out and it's started absolutely pissing it down.

• Still no 'go faster' vest 15W?!image

I do plan on a bit of running on holiday but they will just be recovery type runs. Nothing too demanding!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Did some great 8 mile runs last week on New Forest trails. Fairly flat, nearly deserted and the occasional deer. Oh to live near some routes like that!

I got my "11 with 7 @ tempo" out of the way this morning. Surprisingly it felt OK. All 7 miles were under my tempo speed of 7 mins/mile. Maybe the training is starting to pay off.

Tapering now for Belper 30K at the weekend. Anyone else doing this?

• Depends. Have you done it before, Phil? And is it properly hard like people are saying on the events thread, or is it a route where you could have a nice pleasant run at your easy pace if you weren't really trying to race it?

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

I haven't done it before literatin but it isn't really a fell run. It does have a 3 mile climb in the middle but it isn't steep.

Looking at past results the times vary from 2 to 5 hours so I guess you can do it as slow as you like.

If you do run slow I would find someone to latch on to. You don't want to be running by yourself for hours!

There is an elevation chart here: http://www.mapmyrun.com/gb/belper-eng/belper-rugby-rover-route-1601764

• Well, I didn't mean that slow, I just meant not really hammering it! Thanks for link. I'll see how I feel later in the week.

• Right at the peak of my schedule and I'm going to have to take a week off.

I'm pretty sure I've strained the soleus muscle in my calf. Pretty gutting as I've been running hard since my last marathon in October last year, in preparation for this year. Hopefully I'll get repaired with enough time left to limit the impact on my marathon goal. Bummer.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Indeed a bummer andrews, but a week off shouldn't make hardly any difference to your overall fitness etc. Hopefully your strain will heal and you'll be back into it next week. Good luck.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

15mi for me today.

• Morning all.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

I've just started following the HADD training plan. This will be a few weeks of runs of up to 5 miles (due to my dodgy knee) and working in a low heart rate zone. When the knee is better I can increase the mileage and eventually move into a higher heart rate zone for training.

Has anyone got any races coming up soon ?

• Sorry to hear about your calf problem Andrews. Hopefully a weeks rest will do the trick.

Good luck with the HAAD training Carter. I'm supposed to be doing the Kenilworth Half on the 1st September but will see how I feel after my holiday. Only 8 sleeps to go!image

12 miles done this morning. Even managed 7 at MP - not sure where they came from! Hopefully this is a sign that my running mojo is returning.image This is my longest ever mid week MLR - one of the advantages of the kids being on holiday means I've got a teensy bit more time in the morning. Feeling pretty tired now though!image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

acp - sounds like you are indeed getting your mojo back. Maybe it was the real early mornings that were killing you previously?

Carter - good luck with the HADD training (what is that??!).

I'm signed up for a Warrington half on 8th Sept...will possibly try running it at marathon pace as opposed to all out as it's 4 weeks before chester.

• carterusm wrote (see)

Has anyone got any races coming up soon ?

Me! I've got a race tonight. Last race of four in the county summer league at Teversal.

Andrews - I had to take a week off around this stage of marathon training over the winter and it ended up making no difference at all, as far as I could see. Should be far enough out to be okay?

Well done acp.

• Good luck tonight Literatin.image

• Good luck Lit!

I'm also going off schedule a bit this week but that's because I'm still a week ahead of schedule and now seems as good a time as any to use up that 'extra' week.  It will be an easyish week of slow running but I'm also going to squeeze in an extra 20 miler, as I think there's only 3 in the plan and I'd feel happier doing 4 or 5.

Definitely seems as though the mojo is returning acp, brilliant stuff!

Good luck with the HADD training carter, seems like a sensible move.  No races for me until September.  Doing the Yorkshireman half marathon, the South Cheshire 20 and the Great LAngdale half marathon.  Won't be racing any of them though, just using races to practise some marathon paced miles as it always feels a bit easier and more enjoyable in a race environment than on me tod.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

The dog is transfixed by the football. Being a border terrier I'm not sure which way his loyalties lie. Actually I'm a little bit worried he's going to try chasing that ball.

15mi was pretty tiring today...still got that race in my legs me thinks. Still, all  done and dusted...just got to look forward to a LT run on Friday and 24mi on sunday. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I sent that before the goal!

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Tiny, yorkshireman is a very pretty run. Where do you hail from?

Careful 15W, lots of p&d niggles going on. Be sensible and back off if necessary.

Acp, glad to hear your back on track.

Lit, hope the race went well.

Popped my head above the parapet to report a race. Did the York Millennium bridge 5k last night. It was humid and a twisty turny course. Unofficially 18.24 and a little disappointed. Was hoping for low 18 as I had done 3 5ks in may all around 18.22 - 18.17.

Anway can report that mara training is on schedule with 2 20milers already in the bag. 

Healing vibes to the benchees.

• Hi Brian

Yep looking forward to the challenge of the half Yorkshireman (although at 14.8 miles I think it's a bit unfair to be classed as a half marathon!).  Heard a lot of good things about it and apparently there's lots of cake at the end image.  I hail from across the border in East Lancs.  Sounds like you're training is going really well, you should be really pleased with that 5k time considering your main focus is mara training.

Also going to get my second 20 miler in the bag tomorrow.  Think I'll feel much better after that.

How did you get on Lit?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all, and hello Brian...glad you're doing ok, and like Tiny says I wouldn't worry about that 5k timing with all the training going on.

7mi easy/recovery run for me today.

• Just a 5 mile recovery run for me this morning. I had a choice between getting up at 4.30am and running it on the road or getting up at 6am and using the treadmill - the treadmill won! And it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.image I think you made a good point 15W about the early mornings taking their toll. I'm sure they've contributed to my lack of energy.

Well done Brian on the 5k. Sounds like a great time to me. All my race times seem to have gone downhill since starting marathon training.image I'm hoping to reverse that trend with my first raced parkrun on Saturday.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah...sleep is important. One thing I've done well on whilst home alone is sleep. One thing I haven't done so well on is personal hygiene.

One question though acp - why couldn't you do your 5mi on the roads at 6am? (or even later?).

• Can't leave the kids home alone when the husband goes to work early!image And if I left it until the evening it would never get done!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone - I've just had a quick catch up on all your happenings.

I'm still ticking over training for my fell ultra marathon at the end of September. And guess what....I've entered a road marathon for 4 weeks later (Dublin). Yes, I know I must be mad, but I thought, seeing as I'm building up my long miles for the fell race, I may as well see how my road legs fair. I won't be PBing, I'm using it more to gain a bit more road marathon experience ahead of next Spring's efforts.

I've had a busy week - come Friday I will have completed 7 races in 7 days including a HM and two fell races. Legs and energy levels are holding up and apart from a minor shed collapse on the HM, I've been doing ok (the whole week is a comp, based on cumulative time). It's a series called No Rest For The Wicked, which is 6 in 6, but I had an additional fell league qualifier to make mine 7.

Tiny, one of your team mates - Jenny - is here on Isle of Man doing the No Rest week. I mentioned that I 'knew you' from the forum and how good your blog is. She agreed and also said you were so much better than you think you are (at the running). Praise indeed