P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 6mi recovery for me today. Family are back from Japan and daughter wants to cycle with me while I run, so maybe be a bit stop/start.

• Steve Way and Scot Overall are obviously talented elite runners but I can't help wondering if they would be even faster if they had'nt run those last minute marathons.....!

No way of knowing of course which is the eternal dilemma of a marathon runner - elite, club or wannabe's.

Sometimes it just comes down to "hope & pray"

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Debutant - I've got a similar issue,  I've entered Kent Coastal (Thanet) Marathon five weeks before my target, which is Chester Marathon.  Also I've entered Tonbridge Half two weeks before Chester.

My plan for Thanet is 2 miles warm-up, 14-16 at marathon pace, the rest at long slow run pace.  I may walk the last few miles.  

I'll treat Tonbridge as a marathon pace run, with a two-mile warm-up after the start of the race. Discipline will be key!

Is this too ambitious?

Debutant wrote (see)

.... In 2 weeks time (6 weeks before Chicago marathon) I plan to do the Dingle marathon as a training run. 30 members of our club are going over to Ireland to do it and I did the half last year and really want to do the full.

The session that weekend calls for 18m with 14 at MP, apparently a key session! So should I do this and just run the rest of the miles at recovery pace? Run all miles at Long run pace

Also thinking of racing a half marathon 4 weeks from marathon day, Is that too close to marathon day? I will have 5 or 6 20+ Long runs done at this stage. 

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Had to read back a few pages to catch up. Interesting talk of races. I missed the race on the plan, instead ran a 10k time trial and ended up with a 'PB', who knows whether the Garmin was accurate. I like to think it was as I set off too quickly (5k race pace) for 2 miles, slowed a bit, then wanted to stop at 5 miles but found the discipline got continue. 

Was going to run 10k race last Sunday but it meant going back to work after 6 weeks holiday and doing 20 miles on Monday night so I binned that. Instead I had my folks to stay on Saturday night, dinner and wine, and a 20 miler on Sunday.  Had to run repeated 3 mile circuits as my water belt broke, I got a new one and decided quickly that I hate it as I just cannot get it to sit snugly. For the first time ever I'll be racing without carrying it. 

Parkrun for me today. Going for it as this is the race. I might do 2 miles warm up and a mile cool down, but am not doing 9 miles today! Hurt my arm stretching mid week. Couldn't decide was it shoulder, back or arm that was the problem but I could only lift halfway without having to use the other arm for support. The following day some weird shoulde contortions helped to raise it to shoulder height and thankfully now it seems to be easing after lots of ice and rest!

Taper week nearly over. 2 weeks today image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. Supposed to be a tune up race day today, but instead did 11mi with 6 at LT pace.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Thanks for the Steve Way link 15W. Many hours of blog reading there!

My plan of running the 4 miles to a parkrun worked out well. Did the parkrun in about 20:45 which I am happy with as there is a 100 foot hill you have to do twice. My only mistake was to start scoffing some free flapjacks afterwards before realising I had to run home! Oops

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

PB at parkrun for me today of 21:18. I was absolutely delighted!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done all on the park runs/

18mi for me this morning, was a bit knackered after yesterday's LT run.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

parkruns are fab! Just short of 15 miles for me today. Still trying to decide what marathon pace actually is! Got less than a fortnight to figure it out. 

Well done on your 18 miles 15West. Very humid for it just now. 

• Seems to have gone a little quiet on this thread lately.... I wonder how many are injured ? This high mileage stuff has its casualties.

I've just about managed to make it through the last 3 weeks of transatlantic work trip followed by couple of weeks holiday.... everything was going to plan until last week when I ended up with a cold on holiday so wisely decided to ditch the running and relax instead.... missed few sessions and the planned 32k on Saturday turned into a 19k instead as I was not sure I had 32k in me after illness.

Week 10/18 for me this week... first VO2max session tomorrow... looking forward to some faster training to be honest... lets hope my cold doesn't flare back up as the rest of the family now have it image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello Mark and everyone else....no injury here, yet. Was knackered yesterday though. 6mi recovery run for me this morning, took it very easy...schedule looks a bit scary for the next few weeks.

• Congrats on your parkrun PB clag!

Pleased to report I've settled back into the regular running routine again after the short break away and a nasty stomach bug.  Managed a tough, all off-road 16 miles at the weekend and feel ready to get back on it now.  

This time in 8 weeks, I'll (hopefully) be a marathoner!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good stuff Tiny.

Morning all. VO2 session for me today, 12mi with 6x1000m. Off to do it now actually, get it out the way.

• Morning all,

Sorry another question!

My schedule this Saturday calls for an 8-15km tune up race (4-9miles)

and then says 13miles at planned MP

So a bit confused what to do as there is a bit of a difference between the two?

Well done on the parkrun PB clag, always a confidence booster to get PBs during marathon training.
    Tiny the next 8 weeks will fly by - I like to break it down and look at it as only 5 weeks until the taper!
    15West - Yes the plan is now looking a bit scary!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Hi Debutant,

I am a bit confused by your question! I am sure P&D would never put a MP run the day after a tune-up race.

Normally the total distance of a tune-up race is longer than the race so you can do a couple of miles warm up and warm down. The day after the race normally specifies a long run (e.g. 17 miles.)

Are you doing a P&D schedule? If so what week of what plan?

Phil

• Hey Phil,

I'm doing the 55-70mile P&D

I'm on week 7 (7weeks to go), session 83 on the Excel spread sheet

I don't have the advanced marathoning book to hand,

Saturdays session says 8-15k Tune up race, next to it  is 13 miles at planned Marathon pace ?

Then Sundays session has an 18 mile long run.

Cheers

• Okay, without having either the book or the spreadsheet to hand, I think:

• the spreadsheet has the sessions in, and then it has a column for planned pace (based on the paces you entered in the other section) and a second section for pace (if it is, say, a VO2 reps session where you'll be using different paces for different bits).
    • the 13 miles would be the total distance of the session. Imagining you did a 3-mile warm-up, raced 15k, and then did a cool-down, that would be about 13. You might do a bit less for a shorter race.
    • the pace is tricky because it would depend what distance race you were really doing and how hard you thought it would be helpful to you to race it. So it's hard to map onto the pace columns as they stand in the spreadsheet to produce a predicted time for the session, and whoever put the spreadsheet together has just compromised on PMP as the target pace, but you can ignore that.

So that's my theory. Up to you if you think it's plausible or not!

• First VO2Max session done... 13k with 5x800... enjoyed it although the last few hurt, reckon I over-estimated my 5k time and ran them too fast... no way I could run a 5k at 3:4x/km.

Still a bit snotty after my cold... farmers hanky every few hundred yards image

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

That sounds about right Literatin!

According to the book at the end of week 6 (meaning on the Sunday there are 6 weeks left) you do a 8K - 15K tune-up race (total 9-13miles) on the Saturday and a 18 miler on Sunday.

I guess if you raced a 10K and did 6 miles in total of warm up and warm down the resulting average pace might be close to MP?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Debutant..,,it's 13 mi max. In actual book it says 9 to 13 mi...so just add a few miles to a race (few miles warm up and cool down); or do a LT run (10mi with 6@LT?).

My intervals went ok too...all between 5.30 and 5.45 pace (maybe - haven't checked garmin).

Finding all running a struggle though at moment, this is the real tough part of the training schedule. Makes me question why I'm doing all this. When training for London last spring I vowed to myself no more marathons this year....and here I am. So...probably doing London next spring (have already paid for a GFA)...and then NO MORE in 2014.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

15W - Like you I wonder whether two marathons a year is worth it, and plan to keep to one in 2014 - but will I have the willpower to stick to that plan!

• Thanks guys, that sounds a lot better than 13 at MP!

Off to the track now to do some intervals, Stick with it 15West not long to go to the taper or so i keep telling myself.
    Yes me too, i've done 2 marathon a year for the past 3 years, think i'll just do one next year.

• What's the point of strides?

I mean the 10 x 100m ones at the end of a recovery run.   Obviously they're aimed at increasing speed... but I can't believe they bring a  significant benefit... but have the potential to undo some of the good effect you've done to your slow-twitch muscle training.

I'm not doing them.  Seems like more harm than good.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

not doing them?

NOT DOING THEM?

Aren't strides something to do with helping with form, but little else? I don't really like doing them either as on tired legs I always feel mroe vulnerable to injury when sprinting. Think they are probably of some value as they wouldn't be there otherwise, but probably low priority compared to the main key sessions.

15mi for me this morning. Off work this week.

• Went a bit off plan last night and instead of doing the 7M with 6x100m strides I went down to the track and had a go at the Yasso 800s.  Just felt like I needed a really good, hard session to bring me back a bit of confidence after a couple of slow weeks.

Session was 10x800m reps with 400m recoveries (ran to track and back so did 9 miles in total).  I think the idea behind the Yasso 800s is to do all 10 reps at a consistently hard pace and the time that it takes you to do 1 rep reflects the potential you have to run a marathon in...........eg. if it takes you 4 minutes to do one rep, that can be reflected as a 4 hour marathon time (as long as ALL ten reps are 4 minutes or under).

With that in mind I was aiming to do the reps in 3:45 (still deciding whether or not to bring my target time down from sub4 to 3:45).  To my surprise, managed all 10 reps in under 3:30 with the last one in 3:15.  I'm obviously not stupid enough to think that this one, loose method means I'm going to aim for 3:30, but it's given me a bit of confidence to think that 3:45 is not completely out of my reach.  Ambitious, but not ridiculously so.  And the fact that 3:45 would be a GFA for London makes me want it even more......

• Nice one Tiny.... you have to take the confidence wherever it comes from.... and 10x800's is no mean feat in anyones books.... I know, I did only 5 of them in my VO2Max session yesterday and that was tough enough.

I've never heard of the Yasso 800s... interesting... I've managed 6 in the past all well under 3 mins but I can't ever imagine a sub 3-hour marathon as a possibility... in fact my aims are lowering the further into the training I get... was planning to go for sub 3:15 but now thinking sub 3:30 is more realistic... still 8 weeks to go so this may change with my mood image

• I've been reading up on the Yasso 800s - it's really interesting.  I'm not convinced about it's accuracy regarding reflecting marathon finishing times but it is a hell of a good workout none the less!  I think it's a really good measure of progress too.  A couple of months ago I could only manage 6 reps in about 3:50.  Would be interested to hear what the rest of you think...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Tiny - you are obviously in 3.15 shape...forget about all this 3.45 nonsense.

• Ha! In my dreams.  WHat's a measly 15 minutes, might as well just go for sub-3 right image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

May as well.

Well done on those Yasso 800s by the way, they are a good workout. I think 3.45 is a good target...which marathon you running (SORRY! forget)? They will more than likely have a 3.45 pacer you can follow.